Going Nuclear on watch Accuracy

JohnG

Platinum Member
Costa's thread on watch accuracy raised the question: I have a "hackable" mil-style watch, too, and wanted a cheap, fast way to check for time and accuracy without going to the web or making a phone call.

Radio Shack has a quartz Radio-Controlled Clock, model 63-968, that uses two AAA batteries and a short antenna that receives the 60 kilohertz signal from the atomic clock in Boulder.

You pop the batteries in, and in my case it took about three minutes to find the signal and set itself to the nearest second. It checks itself against the signal several times a day. It's also got an alarm and it adjustable for time zones, etc. All for $20
smile.gif

And, I just saw a wall clock version and an "Oregon Scientific" version of the RatShack one in "Heartland America" catalog; the wall version is $29.99,the desktop version $19.99 ( www.heartlandamerica.com )

Maybe not the last word in accuracy but not a bad place to start....?

[This message has been edited by JohnG (edited 02-12-2001).]

Dann, my error--"hack-ing,-able" in a wristwatch means when you pull out the stem to set the time the sweep second hand stops. That way, you can re-start the watch, or watches, all at the same time, or match it with the digital readout from the Atomic Clock.

Military use is to get all the watches on the same time, to the second.

Some quartz movement watches "hack", like the Luminox, or the CWC. When it comes to hacking digital display watches, I gotta think that one through
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by JohnG (edited 02-12-2001).]

Too bad those "atomic clocks" don't work in Hawaii.

------------------
"How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child.", King Lear, Act I, Scene 4.

Hye paranoid!
The atomic clock station transmits 24/7 worldwide on shortwave.
IIRC you can find the signal at 1.5, 5.0, 10, and 15 mhz.
Sending on all these freqs ensures that you will be able to pick up ONE of these signals anywhere in the world.
Of course, you may need an AN/GRA 106 to DO it but...
biggrin.gif

------------------
Tráceme no sin la razón, envoltura mi no sin honor

huh?

------------------
"How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child.", King Lear, Act I, Scene 4.

Back