Going to Cancun on vacation. What are the knife laws out there?

I've never travelled to Mexico and wanted to bring a folder or even a small fixed blade. However, the last thing I want to do is get caught breaking Mexico's laws and end up in their jails. Anyone have any information on what the rules and regulations are out there?

Thanks!!

Check out the State Department website. Last time I checked (March 2015), any knife can be considered a weapon by police in Mexico and, as such, is illegal to carry in public. Still, I was there for a month and carried a BM 940 the entire time with no problems. A bouncer at a bar doing pat downs wouldn't let me enter once when I produced the folder to avoid any awkwardness. He said knives are not legal and to be careful around cops. I think the same precaution applies anywhere, though: avoid bored cops.

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/warning.html

Don’t carry a knife, even a small pocketknife, on your person in Mexico.

If you carry a knife on your person in Mexico, even a pocketknife . . .

You may be arrested and charged with possession of a deadly weapon;
You may spend weeks in jail waiting for trial, and tens of thousands of dollars in attorney’s fees, court costs, and fines;
If convicted, you may be sentenced to up to five years in a Mexican prison.

:eek:

They have never looked twice at my swiss army knife, even a long locking blade was OK. Very handy to have corkscrew, can opener, screwdrivers, etc. Used to be, a folding blade shorter than the width of your palm was OK. But as anywhere in the world, what you look like, what you are doing, and the mood of the officer will determine the outcome.

Be very careful and discrete if you carry a knife in Mexico. My last visit I limited myself to a leatherman micra when off the property of the large orphanage property I was working at. They have many acres of farm/gardens and on the property I was ok to carry my Leatherman wave on my belt.
Heed the state department warning. You don't want to have contact with the wrong cop in Mexico.

it simply not worth it. You are visiting there. you can do without for a short period of time I suspect.

Don't take any knife you 1) can't discretely carry on your person, 2) don't mind tossing away / losing if the situation demands. A cheap SAK or slipjoint is the trick. I've been to Cozumel a couple of times with no issues with a small $20ish multitool in my checked luggage.

Certainly if you do carry anything, keep it discreet. By that I mean, hidden...not clipped, hidden so you can't tell it is on you at all. Being a foreigner, you are a possible target for shakedowns by local cops or worse. I wouldn't recommend going to Cancun in general purely based on the overall security (or lack of) situation there. I know the drug wars have calmed down a bit but foreigners still make attractive targets for ransom kidnappings.

I can't say from personal experience, but I imagine getting raped in a Mexican lockup isn't an enjoyable event.

Geeze, it's not as if op is vacationing in Afghanistan. :rolleyes:

Mexico is a beautiful country full of wonderful people. The south is especially great. Have fun in Cancun. :thumbup::thumbup:

The Mexicans fiercely protect the golden egg of tourism to Cancun. And it is not at all like the U.S. boarder cities. You feel very safe in Cancun. Enjoy it.

And don't bring any knife! ( why risk it? )

Eric

Geeze, it's not as if op is vacationing in Afghanistan. :rolleyes:

Mexico is a beautiful country full of wonderful people. The south is especially great. Have fun in Cancun. :thumbup::thumbup:

Mexico is a nice country, but there are a lot of problems in certain cities, Cancun is one, it's a hotbed of activity for the Gulf Cartel in particular. Texas DPS and the US State Dept. issued travel advisories for the past several years, DPS going as far as saying that college students should not go for Spring Break...they didn't just say those things for fun...It's not the borderland, but it sure isn't the safest place either.

I'd say a SAK is your best bet.
For whatever reason, sheeple just don't tend to see them as "actual knives" and certainly not as weapons. This is universal and applies in almost every country.

So toss a Cadet or Pioneer or whatever you like in your checked baggage and hope it arrives unmolested in Mexico.

Bring the knife you would not mind donating to the local Policia. Whether or not it is against the law, they will find something to scare you with. A SAK is your best bet.

I solved the problem for myself. I stopped going to Mexico. The risks are too great, and the rules are too arbitrary IMO.

I wouldn't take a knife into Mexico these days.

If you must, make it a small SAK or buy a souvenir knife there as suggested above. And when you buy it ask the proprietor if it is legal to carry. If he says no, don't do it. If he says yes you have an alibi if necessary. Don't clip carry it or carry anything large enough to imprint.

Thanks guys, I'll leave the knives at home. Dont feel like spending any time in a Mexican jail or getting shaked down by the policia. We plan to stay at or near the resorts hanging out at the pool and the beach.

Back