Gold Class Bugout fit and finish disappointments

It would appear that BM is still having issues, even on their $750 Bugouts. I just picked one up this week and I'm really disappointed by a few issues on this knife. Firstly, the screws that hold in the ctek inserts and liners do not sit flush inside the scales so they are sticking out much like on the 940-1. This just looks terrible and is inexcusable on what is supposed to be the highest end knife they make. How hard is it to make screws that are the correct length?

Secondly one of the ctek inserts on my knife is sticking up on one end and does not sit flush. It is clearly not a perfectly flat piece because it moves backand forth when I press on it. This looks like crap and is a clear indication that the tolerances and QC just aren't there. I'd like to see if BM will just send me a replacement insert, but I doubt they will. They will likely require me to send the knife in on my own dime.

Interesting. I have bought one as did a friend and neither has these issues at all. I have little doubt that they will send you a pre-paid label given that it’s a gold class with problems.

Interesting. I have bought one as did a friend and neither has these issues at all. I have little doubt that they will send you a pre-paid label given that it’s a gold class with problems.
They all have these screws protruding on the inside of the scales. It's not a mistake but a part of the design.
XqpbtJG.jpg

Ah! Mine stick out 1/2 as much on the inside at most. Not sure why that is. And ctek is absolutely flush. They’ll fix it.

Ah! Mine stick out 1/2 as much on the inside at most. Not sure why that is. And ctek is absolutely flush. They’ll fix it.

I don't doubt they will fix it if I send it in and wait two weeks, but they could just send me two screws and a new insert and I wouldn't have to be without my knife for weeks. It really just blows my mind that they would ship this out. I mean, who do they think is buying $750 knife? It's certainly not unreasonable for them to understand that people are going to be scrutinizing every small detail on these knives. Pisses me off, but Benchmade is one of the only games in town for a lefty. If I want a high end knife I have two choices, CRK or Benchmade.

They all have these screws protruding on the inside of the scales. It's not a mistake but a part of the design.
XqpbtJG.jpg
This is normal. The screws is something they are not going to change. It's normal.

Also Benchmade are known for qc issues on all there class of knives. They seem to have got better but alas always some will slip through. Not sure why you would buy sight unseen from the brand. Pretty well known in most knife fan circles.

My friend got a gold class bug out and it looked pretty perfect to me.

I don't doubt they will fix it if I send it in and wait two weeks, but they could just send me two screws and a new insert and I wouldn't have to be without my knife for weeks. It really just blows my mind that they would ship this out. I mean, who do they think is buying $750 knife? It's certainly not unreasonable for them to understand that people are going to be scrutinizing every small detail on these knives. Pisses me off, but Benchmade is one of the only games in town for a lefty. If I want a high end knife I have two choices, CRK or Benchmade.

Protech makes a left handed knife, the TR-3 which I have. Their manual retract Dark Angel and Tantilla actually work better IMO as a lefty because your hand doesn't rest on the retract lever when deploying.
Massdrop (who is now a vendor here so I shouldn't be in violation of mentioning) has several left hand friendly knives for sale including the LH specific WE/Gavko collaboration along with a couple other knives.
CRK makes left hand versions of all their knives.
ZT has clip options on both sides and the frame lock is easy to navigate as a lefty.
Microtech has the new Dirac that has the front facing button. Most of all of Microtechs clips can be rotated.
WE is making more options with multiple clip points.
SpiderCo's design allowed for easy left hand usage.
Most of the Ferrum Forge collabs has multiple clip options.
Kizer has multiple clip options
Lion Steel has multiple clip options.
Emerson makes LH versions of certain knives.
You can build an Olamic custom lefty.

This is just what I can name from memory being a lefty.

The screws may stick out slightly on the inside of the knife. This is normal and necessary in order to maintain adequate thread engagement with tolerances in manufacturing.

Reactions: Mo2
For a $750 knife, it seems like they could be filed down a bit after construction.

Then you get guys complaining about file marks on the interior liners.

I understand the complaint with the inlays being jacked up. That’s something everyone sees, but the screw length was nothing that bothered me. I don’t look in between my scales for anything other than maintainance. Unless they interfere in the ability of the knife to close and lock freely or scratch the blade finish. Function over form unless form is glaring you in the face.

I'm a Benchmade fan, I have several. I like them for what they are, and have no preconceived notions of their quality, good or bad.

I am not one to judge you on what you spend your money on. That said, there is NO WAY I'd pay $750 for a Benchmade, no matter what class. Not even if it had scales made of Unicorn horn.

I hope you get a satisfactory resolution to your issue.

Then you get guys complaining about file marks on the interior liners.

I understand the complaint with the inlays being jacked up. That’s something everyone sees, but the screw length was nothing that bothered me. I don’t look in between my scales for anything other than maintainance. Unless they interfere in the ability of the knife to close and lock freely or scratch the blade finish. Function over form unless form is glaring you in the face.

I have done it. You take the screw out and then file it to the correct length; ingenious.

I wouldnt expect a production company to go to such lengths nor would I buy a Gold Class in hopes it would rival a custom knife.

The issue with the scale not being flat/true is unacceptable. The screw length is about what I would expect given its a mass produced (albeit limited) item.

Honestly never understood the appeal of benchmades gold class line. Insanity prices for basically the same knife with slightly different materials and pretty colours. Plus hearing about how the F&F is the same as their standard line, for me the honeymoon phase would wear off real quick.

Back