GOLDEN ERA Of SPYDERS 1998 to 2003>> Maybe 2004?

OK I have in the past done a thread similar to this one. This thread is about what I deem to be the finest Era in Spyderco's great history. I've picked the time period of 1998 to 2003 to be the Era that contained most of the most coveted Spyderco models ever. Not only were there timeless collaborations there were also ultra-classic IN HOUSE designs ( Spyderco's own designs) that set the stage for all the great models in today's main line up.

Some of the models I loved out of that era include the JD Smith, The C-56 Zowada, The C-60 Ayoob, The Bob Lum C-46 Tanto folder and the LUM fixed blade too. There were great IN HOUSE designs like the Dodo, The Lil TEmperance and the Temperance 1 fixed blade just to name a few.

OK I know that not everyone is going to agree with my own pick of what I deem to be Spyderco's GOLDEN ERA but I also like hearing about everyone else's pick of what they feel the best time period was in Spyderco's product evolution over the years. What is your pick of a GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS? Which models did you like the best from that era. What blade steels and handle materials highlighted the Era you like the best?

Hey JD, I know you love a lot of those oldies and there are indeed some great designs from that era. I have to confess though, I think we might be in the golden era of Spydercos right now. Seriously, there are just so many awesome designs being produced every year, both in house and collaborations, that it makes me believe that 15 years from now somebody will be on this forum talking about 2015-2020 and calling it the "Golden Era" of Spyderco. Who knows, it may even be you. :D

I think the problem with any sort of retrospective is that you get the distillation of the best parts as time goes on. Blades that become classics don't always start out as popular, and some that launch well fizzle out over time. I personally don't see spyderco's rate of innovation changing, but perhaps how? when steel choices were limited, they pushed more radical designs, now they are able to take those designs and match them to even better steel choices based on the actual use-case for those designs.

Hey JD, I know you love a lot of those oldies and there are indeed some great designs from that era. I have to confess though, I think we might be in the golden era of Spydercos right now. Seriously, there are just so many awesome designs being produced every year, both in house and collaborations, that it makes me believe that 15 years from now somebody will be on this forum talking about 2015-2020 and calling it the "Golden Era" of Spyderco. Who knows, it may even be you. :D

Yeah I think you're on to something there SURF:thumbsup: Actually that's one of the main reasons I started this thread again on both Forums. Rather than just seek out those that agree with me I'm really wanting to seriously pick some brains of my Brethren for their ideas pertaining to this present era. Especially when you consider the recent innovations and awesome improvements in blade steels alone it's absolutely mind boggling.

Spyderco is by far my favorite knife company because Sal, Eric and Company are a true icons of American Entreprenuers who are 100% quality minded. I have no doubt that if they were to consult with some top notch marketing experts I believe they could bolster their profit margins far above what they currently are>> at the expense of compromising quality and integrity>>but these guys just don't compromise. Spyderco & Co. are so quality minded and care so much for their end line users and overall customer base I just can't help but marvel in that aspect alone.

You just don't see that type of non-compromising integrity in business much now-a-days>> but Spyderco has shown themselves to be the epitome in their quest for high quality products. From a sentimental standpoint the 1998-2003 time period will probably always be my favorite era in Spyderco history because from what I can tell that is when their product evolution went into the transition that led them to where they are today>> but for those of you who think this present time is the best era ever>> I can't in all honesty overlook the huge strides that they have made in overall product improvement in the past two years in particular>> not only in their knives but in their premium sharpening equipment as well. Long Live THE GREAT SPYDER FACTORY:cool:

yep, also the wide array of steel choices....real hard not to feel this is the golden era of knives and spyderco.

There is no golden era! Spyderco has always been innovating and breaking new ground and expanding the range of high quality choices for us. I'd say NOW. Next year my answer will probably be the same!

There is no golden era! Spyderco has always been innovating and breaking new ground and expanding the range of high quality choices for us. I'd say NOW. Next year my answer will probably be the same!
I agree with this statement. Being a Spyderco fan today is exciting with the pending release of new models like the Shaman, and classic model variants in different steels like Maxamet, K390, and HAP40.

I don't know, yesterday is always better than tomorrow but Spyderco seems to me to be on top of their game right now. I don't think we've seem their "Golden" era just yet.

I don't know, yesterday is always better than tomorrow but Spyderco seems to me to be on top of their game right now. I don't think we've seem their "Golden" era just yet.

You've got a good point Kreyzhorse because that's one of the big reasons I brought up this thread again. As much as I admire the models from 1998 to 2004 I guess is because those are the ones that really won my heart over to Spyderco. Actually it was more of their sharpening equipment that drew me to them than it was their knives from the beginning. I remember even going to the year 2000 blade show just to find a GALLEY V sharpening kit>> which later I got from Spyderco themselves.

With all the new selections of blade steels that have been made available to us in the past 8 years or so is just mind bending to say the least. And Spyderco as far as I know is the only commercial knife company to offer such a wide array of different blade steels. Not to mention some of the newer collaborations. But I still maintain that many of the IN HOUSE designs like the Calypso models, the Temperance models, the Hawkbills and all the RESCUE type blades are some of the few that really got Spyderco on the map so to speak.

But I still maintain that the models from that GOLDEN ERA 1998-2003 were the ones that really changed course for Spyderco and made them the premium knife company that they are today. I still maintain that those models set the course for Spyderco today.

Everyone has their favorites but it seems to me that Spyderco is firing on all cylinders now. The idea that their product line was better before Taichung or S110V or the Para 2 I cannot agree with. That said I'm a sucker for nostalgia and sometimes an older model can take you back in time.

I too am pretty pleased with the current era. Lots of classics were developed and refined from 1998-2004 - so perhaps that could be named the Classics or Classical Era? I would say we are in the midst of an Innovation Era, considering the different steels, different designs, different (and refining of) locks.

My issue with calling 1998-2003/4 the "Golden Era" suggests that everything since has been a bit downhill. Nothing could be further from (my version of) the truth.

My issue with calling 1998-2003/4 the "Golden Era" suggests that everything since has been a bit downhill. Nothing could be further from (my version of) the truth.

No that's not at all what I'm implying. If you look at Spyderco's history from 1978 till now I do believe you can view the time period from 1998 to 2003/ 4 as being probably the most pivotal time period from two standpoints. One would be the overall direction that Spyderco proceeded from that point in time. Second would be Spyderco's ability to recognize ideal collaborations that obviously put them on a very successful track which led them to where they are now.

If you all like where they are now you absolutely can't ignore what transpired during that very important time period and the path they took from that time forward.

When I got my very first Spyder back in 1995 which was a Stainless Handled GIN-1 Mariner, full SE. Even from that time slot to 2004 you can see a complete transition from where they were in that era. Not at all saying that the current era is inferior or less in any way. If you all would have been collecting and using them from that time period you would see what I've seen transpire.

There are a lot of older GOLDEN ERA models that I would love to see done with the newer/better blade steels and upgraded handle materials. Oh how I would love to see a Lil Temperance model with 20CV with the newer/better grade of G-10 for a handle.

I would like to see a JD Smith with either HAP 40 or LC200N and be offered in plain edge and Spyderedge both.

Even one of the CHINOOK models with M390. Yeah take the best of the GOLDEN ERA and add the present day improvements and give them new life.

Oh I would also like to see the original TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade model reintroduced with LC200N in PE & SE both>> along with a nicer G-10 handle>> that would be a super Sprint Run for a GOLDEN ERA fixed blade.

Golden Era.

n56g46.jpg

flvgjr.jpg

Back