Good Book Find!

JK Knives

You all know about my interest in old woodcraft type books, so I thought I would show you my newest find. "Adventuring For Senior Scouts" , copyright 1938, is for older scouts, 15 years old or older. It has some great projects in it, including at least 12 items you can make from a tin can, all the way up to making your own camping gear, and building a log cabin. It has all kinds of trip planning details, supplies needed, and even a couple of pages on wilderness survival.

106zts0.jpg

The book has an interesting inscription in it. It was given to John F. Case in 1938. He was the editor of The Missouri Ruralist" magazine at that time. I did a search on him, and it seems like one of the writers featured in the magazine was Laura Ingalls Wilder, from the "Little House On The Prairie" books.

dqjint.jpg

It looks like I have some good winter reading coming up.

Last edited:
Interesting book. I love stumbling over finds like that.
I have 5 or 6 of Jack O'Connor's books that I found for a buck a piece and a great set of old Nelson's Loose Leaf Perpetual Encyclopedias from the 20's that I bought for $10-$15.
I can picture you there this winter reading your book while smoking your pipe.

Wow, very interesting looking book. Where did you find it? I love the idea of looking through used book stores and finding things like that, but the reality is that I don't have the patience for it. Kinda like thrift stores, I have very poor luck at finding anything really worthwhile.

Wow, very interesting looking book. Where did you find it? I love the idea of looking through used book stores and finding things like that, but the reality is that I don't have the patience for it. Kinda like thrift stores, I have very poor luck at finding anything really worthwhile.

At a small resale shop in Paxton Illinois, about 80 miles from home.

That is a good find John.
I just finished reading Horace Kephart's Book of Camping and Woodcraft. I know it's a little dated but I like his style/presentation.

That is a good find John.
I just finished reading Horace Kephart's Book of Camping and Woodcraft. I know it's a little dated but I like his style/presentation.

One of my favorites. I have an old hardback copy, and a newer reprint in paperback.

Back