Recommendation? Good cured-ham knife?

Hello.

I already have a few generic kitchen and folding knives (with hitachi blue, high carbon or s30v steels).

I also have a knife to cut cured ham, something very common in Spain. I think you (in English) call this "carving" or "boning" knives.

That knives use to be like this: (My parents have several of these).
512k6ntJHwL._SL1500_.jpg

flexible, with some waving to prevent sticking The best steel they do it's called Nitrum but there are not HRC specs published.
or even like this
612slg0KhHL._SL1500_.jpg

or sometimes just plain ones.
61XJo6KzMIL._SL1500_.jpg

Zwilling is supposed to be good (at least their MC66 steel) but really expensive. Other expensive brand is Global.

But most of those knives we can easily get in Spain to cut ham have a very bad steel, low HRC. I can clearly notice the difference comparing their edges.
I want to move forward and also get a a good ham knife.
I would like to get something better, with at least HRC60 but still slightly flexible or good to cut cured ham.

What steel, brand or model would you suggest?
Something very narrow and maybe slightly flexible.
I'm willing to spend up to $100, though something cheaper would be better.
My Hitachi blue knife was just $60. And my s30v folding knife was $74 at ebay.

4172D4AF-9BDF-46EF-8DF4-32B0B100E566.jpeg Be on the look out for an old Gerber carver with a fork tip. I think they were made with an M-4 tool steel blade.

A shame that Spain can't make a proper Jamon knife . Yes you need a long thin slightly flexible blade The Italians use the same type for their Prosciutto .
Some one on this forum should make one or an Italian or Spanish custom maker .A very nice steel would be S35VN which has become popular for many food uses. Ask on the custom knife section.

Mete, you and I could both do it in S35VN @ Rc 60, M390 @ Rc 60, or Nitro V @ Rc 63 but, we couldn't do it for $100. That would barely pay for the materials and heat treat and postage.
Tim

Hmmm,. Maybe a " Shun " ..?

Shun DM0765 Classic Flexible Hollow-Ground 10-Inch Ham/Salmon Slicer Knife

AMAZON Price: $117.73
51h7WofHtL._SL1500__zpslndr3ckc.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0765-Classic-Flexible-Hollow-Ground/dp/B007CLOS4E/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518248994&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Shun+Classic+Flexible+Hollow+Edge+Ham/Salmon+Slicer

Cultery and More
• Japanese AUS8A high-carbon stainless steel offers strength, hardness, and wear resistance with a small amount of flex
Rockwell Hardness: 60-61; hand-sharpened Japanese double-bevel blade angle 16° (each side)
• D-shaped ebony PakkaWood handle is strong, durable and resists moisture
• Full tang provides strength and balance; hand wash with gentle dish soap
• Handcrafted in Seki, Japan with a limited lifetime warranty

The Shun Classic Flexible Hollow Edge Ham/Salmon Slicer features a long, narrow blade and hollow-ground indentations that help slices release from the blade smoothly. Because cured or smoked meats like ham and salmon tend to be denser and drier than a very moist meat, such as prime rib for instance, a slicing knife requires not only a long, narrow blade, but a blade with a little bit of flex to ensure smooth, easy slicing. You'll cut even the thinnest, professional-looking slices with ease. The AUS8A high-carbon stainless steel blade offers strength, hardness, and wear resistance. The result is a knife that's sharp, durable, and corrosion resistant, as well as beautiful to hold. Handcrafted in Seki, Japan with a limited lifetime warranty.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun-classic/flexible-hollow-edge-ham-salmon-slicer-p125251

Last edited:
The Arcos isn't bad but it has too much flex for me. The ideal knife is a minimal flex boning knife. I sent an email to a couple of makers to see of they were interested in the design, but it's a lot of trial and error that nobody wanted to take on. I remember my grandfathers from Italy and it was simple at best. Thin carbon steel with a perfect tip to make those thin slices.

At the end I bough an Arcos knife for ham, their most expensive model, yet cheaper than most brands. I guess some other cheaper models use the same blade.
I was reluctant because many years ago I tried other Arcos and their steel was very soft.
But I'm very happy to say the steel they are using now (they call it "Nitro") is really sharp. I don't know its Hrc but it seems very similar to a japanese knife I have with HRC 61.

As other said the knife is quite flexible, it's a matter of taste if you like it or prefer something more rigid.
With a flexible knife you can bend it and reach difficult areas.

Back