Good first knife for sister.

I am looking to get my little sister a pocketknife for her 8th birthday. She has proven to be pretty adventurous, and the knife lover I am I think a pocketknife would make an awesome gift. I still need to pitch the idea to my parents and I'm not sure how that will go. What I want for her is something easy to open, but won't fold on her hands, so maybe a lock blade, but I'd rather not. There are a few things that I like. My first real usable knife was a colonial that was perfect. Screwdriver, a whole 2 knife blades and a pretty cool can opener, but it holds too much sentimental value to give it to her. I was honestly thinking an old scout knife, or a small SAK. (I have an explorer that I bet would work and I know where to get one) I dont really want to get her anything intimidating. Any input would be great :)

The Vic Tinker or Pioneer are always good choices. Smaller ones that I find useful are the Spartan and Bantam. I carry the Bantam when I carry another primary folder instead of my larger SAK as it has a blade that is large enough to cut something, tweezers bottle opener, and tooth pick. Pretty basic SAK.

Tinkers are good, almost got one myself, but opted for the explorer. More tools, but I agree that'd be a first good knife, with good quality.

Benchmade Infidel. youd be the coolest brother in the history of forever!

But for real, I think a purple delica would be a great choice. Very functional blade, beautiful, theyre also cheap, but will last the test of time. Not to mention pride of ownership...

If only my first knife was a spyderco... :)

I edc a purple delica almost every day and I can say that the colour makes it less intimidating people see it and think tool not weapon. Although someone once told me the hole looked scary. Anyway it would be a great first knife .

I myself would love an infidel, but they are a little spendy. Same for me with the delica, but you are right the delica would be a great first. My price range would be like 20-30$ Thanks for the thought though :)

Opinel? Lots of size choices, you can get some colors, simple, cheap, get a stainless version for her

Well guys and gals thanks for all of the input. I never would have though of an opinel or an infidel :) I'll try to figure if out, and I found out that there are Girl Scout knives which she is in. Now to just figure it out. So many choices.

First make sure she knows how to safely handle/sharpen the knife, and as mentioned by 303_einfield:

SAK, but talk to your parents first. God forbid if she gets caught with it at school.

Make sure she does not bring it to school. Children have and presently do get suspended/expelled for bringing in plastic cutlery for their apples.

Ask your parents, make sure they're cool with it, and then get her an Opinel #6, 7, or 8, dependent on her hand size. An Opinel is a great, durable, twelve dollar investment that will serve her well. Number six is the smallest Opinel with a lock, so keep that in mind.

my first was a Barlow.. i think my father gave it to me when I was 4. It was a great starter knife and I have it to this day. I guess it depends on her personality. I just got my wife an Ontario Rat 2 as a little "Hey, thanks for putting up with me." type of gift.. I have to say.. it's pretty nice. It's well made.. it's a modest size, good blade steel.. it's just a good little carry knife. It's not so expensive that it'll crush you if she loses it, but it's a great value for what you pay.

On a completely different note.. I would recommend any SAK. Everyone who carries a knife should know what a SAK is. They make one called the Junior.. it's a great beginner knife. Otherwise, the tinker, hiker, or the farmer.. totally awesome. It might not be as flashy as a Pink Rat 1.. but hey, it's a damn SAK.

Good one mike. Is that by any chance new from Vic after they shut down Wenger? The lock looks like mine.

There is an opinel 7 with a rounded tip
If I was eight years old (or any age for that matter) and someone gave me a knife with a rounded tip for safety reasons, I would feel cheated, and insulted.

As the parent of two small children, I say- if a child cannot be trusted with a pointy knife then they cannot be trusted with a sharp knife. And if you can't trust a child with a sharp, pointy knife, then what's the point of giving them a knife at all (can it actually be called a "knife" if it isn't sharp? :confused:).

The best form of knife safety is education and basic intelligence. Quite frankly, a stupid, irresponsible child can cause just as much damage with a sharp knife with a rounded tip as they could with a sharp knife with a pointy tip. If your sister is smart, responsible, and has been taught proper knife safety, why cheat her out of a pointed (complete) knife.

In any event, I think your parents should definitely be involved in this matter.

I have a Vic Junior. It has the rounded tip and serrated blade unless I'm mistaken. Okay knife, I guess. Designed to be the "first knife" for a kid.

Killgar you definitely have a point, I was given a schrade 340t with a busted tip once, but that was a different thing entirely. My first knife was a Vic Classic when I was ten, and it was good. I have an off brand one I was also thinking of giving her as a last resort.

And get her a baliyo
There's no telling how far she will be taking interest in knives in the future.
I expect you will guide her accordingly with safety, care and responsibility.
Another vote for an opinel btw.

My eight year old daughter has an Ontario Rat-2 and a Fallkniven WM1, regularly borrows my Victorinox Super Tinker, and covets my Leatherman Juice S2 :)

In your situation I'd agree with the others and go with the Tinker, but an Opinel #7 is a great little knife too.

Back