Good first knife

Yeah, you're on the right track for sure, RAT 2 in D2 is going to be hard to beat under $50.

Also, Leek or Delica.

The good old standby that got lost in the fores2t, the Kershaw Blur. A fantastic knife for the money.

+1 on the Rat 2 in D2. I have both the Rat 1 and 2 in D2, they are fantastic quality knives at the $30 to $40 price point.

I remember my first BUCK, it was in the 70's. I've forgotten most of the others but I remember that buck.

A Buck canoe or a SAK like the Tinker come to mind. If it's a first knife for a young person flippers and lock blades not needed. It depends also on legalities where you (he) live.

I've found when you gift a higher end knife the recipient doesn't understand it enough to appreciate it.

Slipjoints are definitely a good choice.

My brothers first knife as a kid was a cheapo linerlock which he thought you were always supposed to flick open.
He still swings his arm around to open them and not too long ago hit the wall with his hand , and it flew out of his hand last summer hitting my steel toed boot.
The worst part is with him thinking it's cool to flick his knife open he has no problem doing in the middle of Walmart.

You see lots of idiots around that do this because they started off with these and the YouTube era.

While that is annoying, I don't think it is the "bad safety habit" B Bill1170 mentioned.

The bad safety habit with locking knives is assuming locks always lock, and then doing things like stabbing, etc, having the locking folder close, and then cutting oneself down to the finger bone.

A slipjoint is a good starter because it teaches one how to cut safely without a lock...and if you can cut safely without a lock, you can cut safely with a lock.

Vice versa doesn't work.

A Schrade Sharpfinger? , almost anything above the quality of a z-hunter makes for a good first knife , and if they don't know how to use a knife teach them how to use one properly

Depending on what size you're looking for and what he'll be using it for, a Buck 110 or a Victoronix Cadet are good choices for a first knife.
Neither will break the bank and both will last a long time.

depends on his needs - office / school a SAK may be best
field work / warehouse / truck etc - Tenacious is a great value as is the other mentioned Ontario rat
Kershaw leek is also a neat knife for starters

While that is annoying, I don't think it is the "bad safety habit" B Bill1170 mentioned.

The bad safety habit with locking knives is assuming locks always lock, and then doing things like stabbing, etc, having the locking folder close, and then cutting oneself down to the finger bone.

A slipjoint is a good starter because it teaches one how to cut safely without a lock...and if you can cut safely without a lock, you can cut safely with a lock.

Vice versa doesn't work.
Exactly what I meant. Thank you, Marcinek.

I wanted to get my cousin a good folder for his birthday I'm thinking the Ontario rat model 2 in d2 steel any other suggestions?
What is your cousins age?
Like many here, I was carrying a pocket knife at 8 yrs old; but I dont want to make assumptions.
For the same reason, is the intended recipient male or female?

Is he/she a tinkerer/gadget kind of person? They might get more use out of a SAK (Swiss Army Knife) or MT (multi-tool) instead of a knife. If that is the case, you will need to go the Victorinox website and look thru the options of tool combinations that best suit their need. Plenty of choices under $50. You have a few options for MTs under $50 as well. I have the Leatherman Wingman and I'd recommend it for $35-40.

If you decide on a knife, I'd vote Rat 1 in D2.

I wanted to get my cousin a good folder for his birthday I'm thinking the Ontario rat model 2 in d2 steel any other suggestions?

I wouldn't hasten to offer a suggestion, knowing nothing at all about him. Perhaps tell us his age, his hobbies, what sort of work he does, where he lives (big city, country, suburbs?), and so forth.

I like the folders by designer Jesper Voxnaes. His knives are made by several companies at a good range of prices.

Back