Good kitchen knife

I've been collecting nice custom knives over the years. I have Dozier and many other well known makers. About 100 knives now - mainly hunters.

However, in my kitchen I have junk that will barely cut a tomato.

Since I don't actually use the knives I've collected the issue of sharpening them has never come up. Now I'd like to buy a couple of kitchen knives that I'll actually use and keep sharp.

I'd like to use my Chef's Choice sharpener at 20 degrees. I know, this is not the way a professional would sharpen a knife but I'm not a professional knife sharpener.

Do custom makers make knives that can be sharpened by regular knife sharpening appliances?

Thanks

The electric sharpener does more damage than sharpening so I would not recommend any knife be sharpened by it. Quality kitchen cutlery is best sharpened by waterstones, the steel is usually at or near max hardness and typically the steel used is optimized for highly refined sharpness. Or in other words, spending money to get a good kitchen knife only to not sharpen it properly defeats the purpose of having a quality knife.

Budget is important, you can keep it cheap or end up needing a loan just depends on what you want. Lots of good knives in the $100 and less range though.

Back