Good maker of cossack sabre?

Is anyone aware of any swordsmith that does a good cossack sabre?

Thank you for your replies.

Harry

Harry
Not many people do a Shasqua. I have done a few. Awsome cutter. I think one of my old ones is for sale from the orginial owner. He is cutting back. Ha. Swordmaker joke.
If you would like I could call him to see if he still wants to sell it.
They have fuller grooves. That particular one, I started out with 101 ounces of steel to end up with a 16 ounce blade. It also has a pound and one half of sterling that is gold washed. etc. Good piece. Do not think I ever photo'd it but could look.
fisk

Please post pictures of anything you find.
There is no doubt many of us are interested.

[This message has been edited by TomW (edited 07-30-2000).]

You can try this person, Kirby Wise, who has made Eastern European weapons in the past.
His website address is: http://www.kirbywise.com

All of his work is handforged/tempered/annealled using traditional ways and methods in a traditional blacksmith shop for the past 45 years. All of his blades are made from Spring Steel (5160) and all are fully functional. He has made a couple of Shasqas in the past.

He is not limited to just what you see from the photos or the background pages on the website. (these taken from a printed catalog we used to have).

Might give him a try. Um, yes, I am his wife and I do help him in the shop when not decorating his weaponry. However, being with him for 30 years, I have seen him make many pieces from different cultures and eras and so know of what I speak.

Jerry, thank you for your reply. This shashka looks to be an interesting piece. I echo Tom's request in that it would be nice to see a picture of this shashka or similar pieces you have done.

Laurie, thanks for the pointer to your hubby's website. I will certainly check it out.

Once I get a better idea of what there is out there, I'll likely take the plunge.

Thanks again.

Harry

Back