Good recycled bladesteel source

I am always looking for useable scrap and a guy told me a while back that bedframes are high-carbon steel and I didn't put much stock in it since I had never heard that before or come across any mention of bedrames as a source of decent blade steel on the net, but I got a piece the other day and put it to the grinder for a spark test and I was amazed to see the tell-tale spark pattern of reasonably high-carbon steel. I got on the net and looked up bed frames, and sure enough, at least some bedframes are high-C. I haven't done anything else yet, but thought that I should post this for anyone who could benefit from it. It seems like it would be good for damascus too, but I still haven't found out any specific steel types that are used for bedframes. Perhaps someone out there knows?

Didn't you ever watch the wood wright shop. He made corner chisels out of bed frames. I have grabbed them from the dump ever since! :D

Recycled recycled ? Somewhere I heard that bed frames are made from recycled railroad tracks ! Railroad tracks certainly have a good bit of alloying elements since the tracks have to support great weight. I have welded track and know that it takes special procedures to prevent cracking due to the alloying elements.

I picked a piece of bed rail out of the dumpster at work and did some HT tests on it.
It would not harden at all in oil and with a water quench it was a little harder to file than before.
I think no two bed frames are the same metal though because there have been reports of the steel getting stone hard. Give it a test maybe yours will harden just fine.

Back