Good sabre?

Who makes a good sabre. I'm interested in western martial arts and learning some sabre techniques, but where do I find a good, well made, usable sabre that won't bankrupt me?

I've not had the opportunity to personaly handle one, but I've heard good things about Ames Sword Company, I believe they are. Mostly American Civil War replicas.

Buying custom is always an option, and the route I plan to take.

I noticed the other day that SwordForum Store is now offering a hand forged and assembled reproduction of the Model 1840 Light Dragoon Saber (not so lovingly called "Old Wrist Breaker" by the troops at the time). This item is made in the States, not India, as it apparently turned out that the Ames saber was. The Ames is a Model 1861 Cavalry Saber, the version most identified with the War Between the States, while the 1840 was the one carried in the Mexican War and on through the War Between the States. I don't remember the price of the Ames model, but the SFI version, made by ARMART, is $277.00 for the saber and $206.00 for the steel scabbard. It appears, from the pictures to be a beautiful piece of work, and SFI is super serious about their name, so I would expect that anything that they put their name onto would meet a very high standard. Here is the site for the saber http://store.swordforum.com/armart/s27.php

I have not had any experience with AMES in recent years, but they are one of the contract holders for US Marine Corps NCO Sabers and they are the most sought out and highly prized of the bunch.

Perhaps that's changed in recent years, but for over a century, AMES was THE name for USMC NCO sabers.
(I believe they also made the USMC Officer's Mameluke too, but I'm not positive.)

Ken, I know Ames' reputation, and i was excited by their ad whn I saw it, but please read the following post: http://netsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000339.html
Now the author of that post also bought an Ames saber ans seemed happy with his, but posted to tell of his friend's displeasure in order to keep the record straight. That was the basis for my comment. I have no idea how good their current production USMC sabers are, but considering what I have heard of how the Spanish manufacturers go about making the ones that they send here under contract to the USMC, they couldn't do worse.

Back