Good Scottish Basket hilt ?

Who makes one and for how much? Want to do some cutting with it and I would like it to be a fairly accurate representation of the style. I don't want a wallhanger or a showpiece, just pure functionality.

I believe that Cold Steel is offering a basket hilt in there sword line. I don't have any personal experience with these blades but realfighting.coms review of there light cav saber was pretty good and there prices are very reasonable assuming of course that they ain't junk. They are advertised as using swords and probably worth looking at but others here probably have some experience with them and can give more insight.

Not a real big fan of the CS Japanese line, but the Scottish Basket Hilt is a wonderful representation of the original. Their Sword Proof video says a lot for their blades. Just a thought and definately my 2cents. :D

Please look here, at the CAS I swords from Paul Chen's Hanwei manufactory in Manchuria. His basket hilts seem to have a pretty good reputation and run from $195.00 MSRP for SH2059, the "Practical Basket Hilt", to $315.00 for SH2002, the "Scottish Basket Hilt Broadsword", with ones in between. They all seem to have acceptable reputations for the money spent. You might also consider their Basket Hilted Backswords. But be certain to look only at the Hanwei models, coded with SH, not CAS I's other suppliers. If you check the various discount houses, you may well beat these prices. For instance, By the Sword is advertising SH2002 for $241.oo + shipping.

http://www.casiberia.com/cas_websit...ub=yes&cat=Swords and Daggers&subcat=European

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Basket_Hilts_and_Small_Swords.html

Hi Bobwhite,

I bought a previously owned Chen Scottish Backsword. I think it's the one that's a little lighter than the broadsword. It's still a massive sword. I have only cut a couple of 2 liter drink bottles with it, but the quality seems to be there. Hardness seems to be good on the blade. It came fairly sharp. For the money, I would heartily recommend it.

Steve
Backsword_basket.jpg

backsword_overall.jpg

If I might suggest, taking a look at Castle Keep? Rob Miller does a fine job and is willing to customize to whatever you want. His products to my mind are far superior to production swords, although the price is also of course significantly more then the swords mentioned thus far. You might also consider Armour Class although I don't know anything about them from first hand experience.

The first and only person I would go to for one - Vince Evans.

Hi guys
Little late on this one, however I have a CS Baskethilt and it's great. It needs dismantled, cleaned and the silly tassel removed but otherwise cuts well, moves well( if used in the proper style) and looks great. Have handled the Chen version and prefer the CS. The Chen feels lighter and a little flimsy. That said if it is being used in thestyle of a backsword ie right foot forward, blows formed from the wrist; it would be fine.
Phil

I don't know that Vince is taking commissions anymore though. Although I do agree that he is the top basket hilt maker in the world. Well... there is E.B. Erickson too but I don't know if he does his own blades...

I generally really like Cold Steel products, but their basket-hilt is a total friggin' club--WAY too heavy.

I've handled enough original basket-hilted swords to know what they should feel like--they should frankly feel like a sword, not a baseball bat. When the Englishman George Silver described the basket-hilted "short sword" (not really short at all, with a blade in the 37"-40" range), he described it as a "short sharp light sword". After checking out several originals, I now know what Silver was talking about.

The problem with many "production" basket-hilts today is that they have a "one-size-fits-all" basket, which in many cases adds unnecessary weight. Basket-hilts are, by their very nature, harder to make properly, due to the added weight of the basket--but 16th, 17th, & 18th century smiths, hilt makers, and cutlers were nevertheless able to produce well-balanced, functional designs.

The Cold Steel basket-hilt can probably cut well (as CS weapons typically do), but don't expect it to behave in the hand like a "fighting" broadsword or backsword. Swordsmen like Silver, or later Jacobite Highlanders, would not approve of such a heavy and ill-balanced weapon.

FWIW.

old thread, but just want to let you know I'm going to forge my own. Because of this thread I have a better understanding on size and measurments

I have the Hanwei Baskethilt Backsword. Excellent bottle cutter. Point of balance and weight are within the parameters of historic examples and the blade has proper distal taper. Basket is modeled after one in UK museum.

Back