Good short sword?

What are some good short swords, but not too expensive (not over $250)? I have had my eye on the Himalayan Imports Tibetan Short Sword. I am sure that one would be first rate quality, probably the best for the price, but the fact that it weighs 42 ounces bothers me. Alot of much longer swords are not that heavy.

W.T., unfortunately, in swords, it is very much a case of getting what you pay for. It is my guess that, if you want a good quality sword, you will need to pay upwards of $300 for one, at least in a Western style sword. Here are some suggestions:

www.albionarmorers.com sell a number of Roman gladii, the famed shortsword of their Legions. They run from $450-$550 for the basic sword, but they are the best buy for the money. There may be others around for less, such as the later versions of the Mainz-style gladius from Depeeka, which is fine for re-enacting, but is not a real fighting quality weapon nor one that you would really want to display as a collector's piece. The Albion pieces are both. The also have a Del Tin Cinquedea(5 fingers wide) blade for $194, but it is in the margin between shortsword and large dagger with an overall length of 24" and a blade of 18". The Renaissance Italians carried them in the small of the back as weapons for close quarteers fights. They are reputed to have been damnably effective. It is a very interesting blade with a real history and looks very nice, so it may be the exception that proves my rule if it serves your purpose. Triton can make you a very nice sheath for it, as it comes without one.

www.lutel.cz makes an interesting line of Katzbalgers, the shortsword of the German landesknechts, or mercenaries, of the 15th Century. Their basic weapons were pikes, halbreds or other such weapons, and the huge two-handed broadswords that chopped down the other side's front line. The katzbalger was the secondary weapon for the melee that followed the collapse of the pike formations. Lutel has one for 9,900CZK, which converts to about $366. It has a blade of 26" and comes with a scabbard and belt. They will ship it sharp or dull, depending upon your wishes, and they appear to have about an 8 week waiting period between receipt of your money and shipping. I have one of their products and it is very nicely done for the money, with a very sturdy forged blade.

Arms & Armor, http://www.armor.com/, also have a beautiful katzbalger for $640 + $85 for a scabbard. Theirs is a bit bigger at 25 3/8" overall and a 20" blade.

Finally, www.allsaintsblades.com offers Angus Trim's quite excellent swords, one of which, the AT 1425, Short Riding Sword, is just perfect for your purposes, I should think. It sells for $325 and it is 26.5" overall with a 20,75" blade. Atrim's blades are noted for their quickness and handiness, a reputation for which I can vouch as far as the one Atrim blade that I have is concerned. Again, this sword comes without a scabbard and, should you want one, I suggest that you contact fellow Forumite, Russ Ellis, AKA Triton, who makes very nice custom scabbards and fittings.

OK, there are my thoughts on the matter. Good Luck.

Take a look at www.kriscutlery.com for several varieties of short sword. I own a pinuti and their version of the gladius. Both are excellent swords, though the gladius is not authentic to historical examples. Both of these swords under your $250 limit. If I had to get only one, I would probably get the pinuti. It is a great little sword for your money.

I would second FullerH's recommendations on the Angus Trim swords, I own three and think they are excellent.

~L

What are some good short swords

What kind of short sword are you looking for, and what would you want to use it for? Short swords is a very broad term. It can mean a smallish weapon like the traditional Japanese Tanto knife (which is actually a short sword); or, a utility/pioneer's tool like the machete, bolo, or khukuri.

n2s

I'll second Kris Cutlery, especially if you want Filipino swords. I ahev the barong and two (discontinued:( ) Bonifacio Bolos. IMO, compared to my antique barong, the Kris Cutlery one seem just as good for practical use but just without the fancy decorations. If you want the short sword to actually carry in a pack or vehicle the barong is a good choice.

I can't really give much of a reason for wanting a short sword, other than fill another nitch in my collection. I already have a saber and a double edge mideval sword, both with 30+ inch blades. What I had in mind was something with a blade length between 20 - 24 inches.

About the Kris Cutlery pinuti, I do have one of those. However, I have always thought the handle looked fragile. It is wood with just a single, small brass pin through it. I would be afraid to whack anything hard with it. Otherwise, it would be fine for what I want.

FullerH, I might have seen some Lutel swords back in May. I went to Prague on vacation, and there was a shop selling swords in Prague Castle. I wondered at the time if those were Lutel swords. However, since I don't speak Czech, I didn't try to ask the proprietor.

I've cleared lots of brush with my Bonifacio, cutting many trees and plants 1" to 1.5" in one cut, and I've cut down several small trees including one 5-6" across, but those took a lot more than one cut. I don't know about the pinuti but these were only $35.00 and IIRC the cheapest swords Kris Cutlery sold.

I guess it is mainly that single pin through the handle of the pinuti that bothers me. I often see two or three larger pins on many knives. It could be that the epoxy inside is sufficient, but I have no idea of how long or wide the tang is. The entire handle is wood, including the rear of it. There is no metal cap as you find on many knives. So all of this has caused me to worry about the durability of the handle.

I will probably buy the Himalaya Imports Tibetan Short Sword. If Cold Steel had not lengthened their 1917 Cutlass blade to 28 inches, that would be a contender as well. But 28 inches is too close to the length of my 1796 Saber.

I do trust the Himalaya Imports products due to their excellent reputation. The Tibetan Sword ought to be very well-made.

the HI Tarwar. shorter and wider, a really haevy duty slasher.

Kris Cutlery also make very affordable an spiffy shwort swords, like the celtic leaf blade and the baselard. I have the baselard. light, diffeentially heat treated, maneuverable.

Keith

Thanks Ferrous Wheel. The HI Tarwar has one feature I don't like - no guard. I can live with this on a khukri, but not on a sword.

I'll have a look at those Kris Cutlery swords you mentioned.

I got a blem HI Tibetan short sword about a year ago and I've been extremely pleased with it. Tough as nails and easy to wield in spite of my inexperience.

Hi Raghorn,

Those are just the sort of comments I expected to hear about an HI product.

I have been supprised to find that there are relatively few short swords available in comparison to other types. If you want the kind of long sword the mideval knights used, there is a bewildering variety available. However, I haven't found many of the shorter swords of the type that were used by infantry troops during the 19th Century - at least, in quality brands. Atlanta Cutlery has them, but I don't trust their quality. It would be nice if a trustworthy company like Cold Steel, Hanwei, or Kris Cutlery would offer a naval cutlass, for example.

The French artillery of the mid-19th Century used a romanticized version of the Roman gladius that they called the "cabbage-chopper". I am sorry, but I do not remember the French for that. Anyway, the US Army was in a period of imitating the French just before our War Between the States and, in 1851, adopted that same sword as our artillery short sword and I believe that there are or were some decent reproductions of those made for re-enactors. You would have to be careful about buying one, however, for there were a bunch of cheap POS ones made as well. My guess is that most of the inexpensive ones around fit the POS category.

As an aside, the US Artillery short sword was also converted into a naval cutlass, Model 1851, IIRC, by replacing the cross with a heavy brass sheet knuckleguard. My older brother has original that he picked up somewhere. It was the Model that preceded the very nice naval cutlass that was used during our War Between the States, the one with a slightly curved blade, a leather-wrapped grip not unlike the Model 1860 Cavalry Saber, and a large brass wrap-around shell sort of guard.

I believe that there are or were some decent reproductions of those made for re-enactors.

Thanks for the info, FullerH. Do you know of any companies that might sell the "decent reproductions"? I see such swords for sale by Atlanta Cutlery, but I have read mostly negative comments about the quality of their products.

I think that I would hang out at various Civil War re-enactor pages for a while, if I were looking for one of these swords, and ask around about availability of a reasonably good one. I am sure that there must be some around. I would agree that a certain reserve is reasonable where Atlanta Cutlery is concerned, same as Museum Replicas. They are both owned by Windlass Steel of India and most of what they sell is by Windlass, which used to be very iffy. But the folk at SFI seem to have been having some luck with their newer line of products. Perhaps they are getting their act together, although he Coppergate Shoes that I bought from them last year stunk big time.

I think curvy ingle edge massive-slasher, like a falchion or sablre, perhaps you might check out Wakizashis, persian variants, and some Filipinno style choppers, Kris cutlery makes a fine Pinuti, with wide belly and wicked point in-line for thrusting. It comprises the best of cut and thrust.

I keep coming back to the HI Tarwar. I think I've seen a few with guards, can't be that hard to add one.

Keith

BlackjackVorpalSword.jpg

How about an old BlackJack Maringer Vorpal sword?

It sounds like it is about the size that you looking for.

n2s

Thanks for the reccommendations, everyone. I ordered the Himalayan Imports Tibetan Short Sword yesterday. I trust the quality of the HI products completely, so I decided on the Tibetan Short Sword. Also, I thought it was a good time to support "Uncle Bill", the owner of the company. I saw a thread on the HI Forum stating that he has a serious health problem.

I got the Himalayan Imports Tibetan Short Sword yesterday. It is very well-made, as I expected. But it is also very heavy, for an out of shape person like myself. The blade is as thick as a khukuri blade, and does not taper down toward the end. Fortunately it has a long handle, so it can be wielded with two hands.

Back