Good Socks?

Razor

Gold Member
I was wondering what socks you all like for winter hiking and hunting? I don't have much trouble with any of them till it comes to sitting in a tree stand or on the ground for several hours, them my feet gets cold. Someone said to change your socks when you set down, but that is hard to do in a tree stand. I have tried smart wool but if they accidentaly get thrown in the dryer than they draw up and are to small. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have been on the same search that you are on now, for many years. From what I have found Thick wool socks seem to be the best fit, giving the circumstances. My current favorite company is Smart Wool, they are quite expensive but they have been different styles, depending on what you are going to do.

Just my 2cents, thanks.

~Zim

Cold feet suck in the stand and makes for a miserable sit. I usually go with a synthetic moisture wicking sock first with a nice thick wool sock over that. I cant give any info on brand cause I got dinged for that already on a knife post, but the wicking socks can be found at any hiking/outdoor store. Wool maintains its insulating value even when wet but my feet still get cold if I have the wool contacting my skin and my feet are wet. I think boots make a big difference, if you are using a boot material like gortex, it will allow moisture to escape but be waterproof so your feet should not sweat too much on the way in. once your feet are wet it just radiates the cold through from the boot. I hate cold feet and numb fingers...everything else usually seems manageable.

Best socks I've ever had by a fair margin come from Russell Moccasin, the custom shoe company. They're about $20 a pair and someone else makes them, but I've never found anything as nice.

On another note, I have three pair of Russell Moccasin custom shoes and I don't recommend them. If a standard size might fit you they're well worth looking at, but stay away from the custom manufacturing. I've not been impressed with the turnaround time or the fit. The socks are great, however.

Wigwam or smartwool. I like a Merino Wool blend...where the merino makes up 60%+. I have 4 pairs of Wigwams...they are the best socks I have ever owned! They make winter so much easier. I have a few cheap pairs from wally world that are a good blend and actually do pretty good but the wigs and smartwool are amazing!! I dont have many smartwool but I think they are regarded as the best! My wigs have a little compression to them, they are thick and have a very good amount of cushion...and they are very warm without being sweaty! They wick well also...unlike traditional wool, merino is soft...softer than cotton so dont be turned off by wool at least not all. I believe they the wigwams are the MERINO COMFORT HIKER. They are a midweight and do very well! Cant say enough good about them! And I am a sock snob!

smartwool all the way! pretty much any type of merino wool socks. I have a few pairs made by keene and stoic, but i find the smartwools hold up the best are are by far the most comfortable!

Your hiking in and climbing a stand. You've sat in a warm vehicle prior to that. Your feet are generating a lot of heat and perspiration. Once settled in the stand the feet cool off and the perspiration now becomes your worse enemy. They're cold cuz their wet and the sock cannot wick it away fast enough. A losing situation. Smart wool are tops but no sock can dissipate that moisture without some time. Before you climb into the stand put on some dry heavy smart wool socks. Wearing a liner and using foot powder helps mitigate the moisture but nothing removes it. Learn how to change out socks just before climbing up.

Also make certain your boots are completely dry from the day before!!!

Another option is do what loggers and contractors do - Drive in your car/truck in summer socks and Romeos or some other similar slip on footwear. Change socks and put on your boots at the car as a bare minimum. Then go to your stand. The best is to change your socks and boots just prior to climbing into the stand but that may not be feasible.

Last edited:
Having a different pair of driving shoes and hunting boots is always a good idea anyway. Who would want to hunt in boots that just tracked all sorts of bad scent through gas station asphalt?
If you're near a Costco, check out their Wool socks (house brand). The seem very similar to my Smartwools at a fraction of the price. Usually stocked in the Fall.

Covert Threads Ice Socks. Outstanding.

I work outside year round and these are the best I have tried, and I am a sock hoarder.

These used to be available cheap from Carolina Mill Outlet on ebay, but haven't seen any lately.

If anyone is near Hickory NC, and can get these at the outlet store, email me :)

socks that I used the most, summer and cool weather, are SmartWool. I have both low and high styles.

Darn Tough are by far the best socks I've ever had. I wear out Smartwools in a couple years but Darn Toughs last much longer. They did change their sizing up a bit last year and I think the new ones are a bit less tightly knit but they're still the best ones I've seen.

i bought a three pack of omni wool brand at sam's club. i use them for fall/winter hikes, and ice fishing. they are not too thick or too thin. reasonable priced. my feet being cold seems to be due to the type of boot im wearing more than the socks.

I like Smart Wool and Darn Tough. Comparing those two I find the Smart Wools to be a little more comfortable and the Darn Tough to be a little more durable. My current favorite wool socks are from Dahlgren and have a merino and alpaca blend. Most comfortable boot socks I have ever worn and so far have held up well going into their 3 season.

Wigwams are good, and I have been using Cabelas guide socks for about 8 years. They work great, are comfortable, and hold up really well

LLBEAN had " Hollowfil boot socks ", hollowfill insulation and wool. I wonder if anyone still makes them .I don't think anyone could make a warmer sock.I figured LLBean would discontinue them so I stocked up !!

Darn Tough socks work best for me. Have a bunch of Smartwools but they simply do not last as long as the Darn Tough socks.

Always have dry socks on, whether you're going to sit for a long time, or especially if you are camping in cold weather. The wet ones will freeze your feet, albeit maybe slower than cotton socks would.

Back