• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Good time to sell?

I want to sell some knives to go towards the purchase of a car. How's the market right now? Is it a good time to sell knives?

I would hold off. I have a few listed that would ordinarily be gone within days and they have lingered with little to no offers.

It is a terrible time to sell... just about anything. Love my knives, but no safe queens or collectors. If I sold my knives, I wouldn't get much for them even though some are antiques and some are great knives (in my opinion).

But it is this way for all collectors of anything when the economy crashes. I have a good friend that has long collected rare and hard to find watches. Can't guess how little his 1950 vintage model Breitling pilot's chronograph watch is worth now. Who has the disposable income? Even is someone does, buying a rare watch in perfect condition probably won't be a priority.

I got rid of my excess guns and my coin collections after going through hard times earlier in my life. Needing the money, I sold parts and pieces of both collections during down time (why would I be smart enough to sell when things were great?) and realized that 1) my collections didn't keep up with inflation, and 2) I didn't make a cent since I sold out of need making the price advantage to the buyer not to me. No more collecting as I don't have the income to lock up, or worse lose in the end if what I am collecting if the market whims or desire changed.

I have had to sell valued possessions in order to pay bills or keep my business afloat before. It hurts. But if you need the car for transportation more than the knife, close your eyes and sell. If you can hang on without the car, wait for the market to return.

Although this is a board of primarily collectors, there are quite a few users as well. I would be that in the case of the $500 - $1000 knives, that there will be a resurgence of folks that go back to hard working users and the big ticket knives will suffer for some time.

Robert

Its not the best time, but you can set a price and if they don't sell you haven't lost anything.

I want to sell some knives to go towards the purchase of a car. How's the market right now? Is it a good time to sell knives?

If it is a bad time to sell knives then it is a good time to purchase a car. Toss your hooks out and see what happens. It will all balance out in the end and whether you win or lose, will be up to your skills, and will likely represent a small amount of the total value.

n2s

The market is soft since the future is uncertain. But I've seen some surprising knife sales- More likely I don't know the specific maker and desire for their work.

Priced right for the right maker and they'll sell. Or things get worse and they won't sell.

I'm curious about when the recovery hits if people will be more frugal and save money for the future? Or will they live with abandon and buy everything the were denied during the crisis?

Go ahead and try. I've bought three knives this past week. There may be a buyer out there for your knives. Good luck.

The market is soft since the future is uncertain. But I've seen some surprising knife sales- More likely I don't know the specific maker and desire for their work.

Priced right for the right maker and they'll sell. Or things get worse and they won't sell.

I'm curious about when the recovery hits if people will be more frugal and save money for the future? Or will they live with abandon and buy everything the were denied during the crisis?

If people go all frugal and save money for the future it will be the first time since the great depression. From the baby boomers on people don't seem to learn those sorts of lessons. I have my own theories as to why that is but that would delve into politics.

Inflation will devalue our currency, while the markets are tanking as well, so you may as well park the deposable income in goods and services. Anything beats stuffing the old mattress full of currency.

n2s

It is more of a buyers than a sellers market right now, and unless things get opened up in the country it may get worse. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go ahead and list them now. You don't have to take any price you don't want. If you don't list you certainly won't sell. Some things will sell well in any market. While many are short on money, there still is money out there.
Good luck on you sale

Last edited:
From watching the Exchange, it seems like things (traditionals) are moving quickly. However, it seems the posted prices are a little lower than usual. Maybe the volume is too. Like others have said, post it and if you can't get the price you want, hang onto it.

It is more of a buyers than a sellers market right now, and unless things get opened up in the country it may get worse.

Agree with this. It's a good time to be a buyer. I'm hoping to pick up a few deals myself as this year wears on, we shall see.

I'd say if you are in it for profit, it is a bad time to sell, it's a buyers market so to speak. If you are looking to unload stuff in order to recoup some funds to buy more knives, it is a great time to sell. Buyers that know what they are doing are buying right now. People are getting checks in the mail. So, the answer to the question will depend on the reason and goal for selling.

Last edited:
There are always buyers with disposable cash, but the price needs to be attractive, and also posting an interesting knife with good photos.

Back