Recommendation? Good value alternative to Grunfors small forest axe?

Smaug

Gold Member
What’s out there for ~$100 in about that size?

Use: breaking down and pruning trees in the back yard and maybe on a backpack.

For pruning purposes you might consider something like a billhook, honestly, but if specifically looking for an axe then an Italian "Trento" pattern works very nicely.

What’s out there for ~$100 in about that size?

Use: breaking down and pruning trees in the back yard and maybe on a backpack.
For limbing a boys axe works best. For lighter work work a plain old scout hatchet of camping hatchet is great. There's a reason why these 2 designs became so popular and persist today. They work. Have a look at Council Tool's offerings. They are a good value.

A camping hatchet is plenty light and plenty good for day hikes and even shelter building if that's your interest. If you're going backpacking and will be out for several nights consider whether you really need a hatchet. If your plans call for a hatchet than consider a Fiskars for backpacking.

*BUMP*

My wife, daughter and stepdaughter bought me one of these, as I had put it on my Amazon Wish List after your recommendation and after reading some reviews. I haven't even got the disposable edge guard off of it yet. I've got a bunch of deadfall to process for a fall burn-off. Can't wait!

1st impression is that it is the perfect size and weight.

Might put some Johnson's paste wax on the head to keep it from rusting.

I bought an axe puck and will touch up the factory edge with that before the 1st use.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Back