Good wool beanie?

I know sheep don't grow wool during COVID and if they did they wouldn't be sheared! 🤣

On a more serious note, I'm looking for a good wool beanie hat and despise the cheaper synthetic ones. So far, what I have found are thin over-priced synthetic beanies. I'm not looking for a $10~$20 beanie from your local China-mart or big box store.

I would prefer wool with a low-itch interior, though it doesn't have to be Merino. What are the better options today that won't break the bank? I'm looking for something simple (no fancy puffs, pom-poms, ear flaps, etc.) in a mundane generic color (dark green, navy, dark grey, black, etc.). Modern Primaloft and similar synthetics would probably work well too but, definitely no cheap acrylic, please!

TIA,
Sid

Weather Wool, I have their AAJ and it's in a category by it's self.

Weather Wool
That does look very nice. 19 microns is the highest I've seen and might be something I try out.

The best I've tried though is the Ray Mears Beanie. The Possum Fur & Merino Wool beanie on his website is the warmest, most breathable, fastest drying beanie I've ever worn. It sheds a little and does stretch some. I've never had one fall apart and I've been using them for years.

Last edited:
The best I've tried though is the Ray Mears Beanie. The Possum Fur & Merino Wool beanie on his website is the warmest, most breathable, fastest drying beanie I've ever worn. It sheds a little and does stretch some. I've never had one fall apart and I've been using them for years.
That one looks really nice and at ~$35 shipped into the US isn't a bad price at all. And, POSSUM FUR sounds really interesting.

They make a regular one also, it's usually shown in the section "People also bought this"
Or just do a search for Dachstein, it'll show you the items.

They also have variants of 4-ply and regular mittens and socks.

Where I live it gets to -30, so the heavier stuff is great. if it doesn't get below zero for you, then yes, they'd be too heavy.

Try C.C. Filson. All of their gear is heirloom quality and will serve you well. Buy once..., cry once.

They make a regular one also, it's usually shown in the section "People also bought this"
Or just do a search for Dachstein, it'll show you the items.

They also have variants of 4-ply and regular mittens and socks.

Where I live it gets to -30, so the heavier stuff is great. if it doesn't get below zero for you, then yes, they'd be too heavy.
If I lived North of the USA, it would be a much easier buy. I have occasionally traveled as far North as Ohio in Winter where temperatures hovered around 0F without windchill. My normal Winter travels are in Texas and Oklahoma though so, heavy arctic gear is pretty much overkill though, heavy socks and boots built for Canada and Alaska Winters can be a real godsend if I'm outdoors a lot and not working real hard (i.e. sweating throwing hay bales or cutting firewood). 0F temperatures and bad windchill do happen in Texas and Oklahoma but, are generally pretty infrequent bordering on rare (so much for local-global warming 🤓).

Try C.C. Filson. All of their gear is heirloom quality and will serve you well. Buy once..., cry once.
Yes, Filson gear is very high quality like a lot of the stuff in Europe. While there, I saw multi-generational jackets and bed linens in use in the homes of friends. H&M and China in general though are changing the local culture to a more disposable one like we have in the USA. Heck, the barn/hayloft I lived in was built before the USA was founded as we know it today and may have preceded the Mayflower. How it survived WW II is still a mystery to me though, it wasn't in a major population center in Germany.

In that case, a surplus wool beanie would be fine.

The standard Dachstein and Filson wool beanies are pretty much the same (I own both), though I think the Dachstein is a little better made. But it's really down to preference.

I've gone through a few wool beanies from Smartwool, Beyond Clothing and finally Minus33. Minus33 midweight cuffed beanie is the softest and best temperature regulating of them all, IMO and available in a lot of colors. Their base layers are nice too.

Another vote for the Possum/Merino beanie. There are other sources. Heck, Zpacks does one for $25.
Much as I like the one I got from Woodlore, it is too warm for me unless the temperatures are well below freezing, and it doesn't get like that where I live all that much any more. Used this hat on a January course in Alberta, and on December trip to Minneapolis, was in its element

I also like my Aclima Merino beanie. Supper light and thin. Good when the temperature is hovering around freezing, maybe just above, and/or if you are active. Good alternative to a stretch micro fleece.

Since ya hanging in TX and OK mostly how bout a Stormy Krommer Ranchers cap? Ear flaps inside and it’s just a wool ball cap. Ears down and good to go when cold.

Since ya hanging in TX and OK mostly how bout a Stormy Krommer Ranchers cap? Ear flaps inside and it’s just a wool ball cap. Ears down and good to go when cold.

For whatever reason, the various Caps with ear flaps and I just didn't mesh well. The bail might be good for not losing it in high wind but, the various beanies simply worked better and were warmer.

For whatever reason, the various Caps with ear flaps and I just didn't mesh well. The bail might be good for not losing it in high wind but, the various beanies simply worked better and were warmer.
I found the secret is to get one 2 sizes larger than the normal hat size. For instance I wear a 7 1/4 in a hat and this is 7 5/8. The difference on the ranch cap is the flaps fold up inside when you aren't wearing them like here. Yep it gets windy here, seen guys chasing beanies down the road.

E88qZjz.jpg

No suggestions for a one ear Santa hat for your pony.

Zero disrespect intended........but I have found that billed or visored headwear grabs and funnels the bitter wind onto my forehead/face.

Zero disrespect intended........but I have found that billed or visored headwear grabs and funnels the bitter wind onto my forehead/face.
Ya bet, different deals I guess. I find the exact opposite. Keeps the stuff out of your eyes and we do have winds here. No bikinis and palm trees in this part of Cali. Most storms are horizontal as that one was above. It was whiteout. Fact a very good day to be in the shop watching out the window! That pic was couple of days later. In fact to give ya an idea of some of our winds I've seen folks in town chasing their beanies down the road! Had a bunch of friends that were CHP officers and they were issued a new cold weather hat. They all called it their "Comrade" hat. Everyone of em complained that it didn't have a bill. It was warm but stuff blew in their eyes. Around here it can be cold as heck, but dry no snow or rain and ya'll have boulders blowing around. That brim is pretty handy.

Back