got an LB1

SIRGALANT

BANNED
was at the local knife shop today and spied an uncle henry lb1 (a genuine one) in stainless. i paid $50 australian dollars for it . how rare are these? did i pay too much?

...how rare are these?...

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYERS/1980s/pages/SC81-8.htm
The little LB-1 Cub was made from 1982-96, so it did have a fifteen year production run. But being discontinued some eleven years ago, and never as popular as it's largest brother the LB-7 Bear Paw, I'd say that while not exactly rare (I personally reserve this catagory for knives produced in quantities of less than 10,000), it is uncommon on today's retail market.

...did i pay too much?

I don't do "values", as most of you know. The collector market is very fluid (fickle) and low production knives can go cheap while some high production knives go high. Condition, completeness (box, papers etc.), and type of packaging (folding box, gift box, clampack etc.) all play a role in what a particular knife will fetch as will local availability. I doubt that NIB LB-1's are very common on the retail market in Australia (they are not here in Tennessee U.S.A.), so might well appear to be rare there. "Buy it now" listings are asking $65 on eBay now, and that is plus shipping all U.S. funds. I'd say you likely got a good deal. Congrats on the score! Now... where is the picture?

Michael

thanks for the info , but no go on the picture . don`t own a digital camera lol

A flat bed scanner will work. My digital camera is too cheap to do decent close photos, so I use the scanner when all else fails.

One interesting note on these Cubs, the tang stamps seem to follow the same basic formula as the larger LB-7's. Early ones used this stamp:

While later ones (mid-1980's on the LB-7's) added the Uncle Henry signature above the SCHRADE+.

Michael

so mines a mid 1980s one. i really want an lb7 , but the only ones i can find to buy are taylor junk and they want $150aud for them FFS

Then contact another Australian collector who might have a spare. I have no idea what Aussie customs does with knives like LB-7's, but eBay is loaded with them 24/7, and they go for as low as $25 U.S. plus shipping.

Michael

PS- The LB-1 knives with the UH signature are circa mid-80's - 1996, an approximate ten year spread. Logos and such on packaging can narrow the dates more.

Back