Got Falcon, eh' it will work.

Well got and fondled the Falcon and its um...short. Guess my hands are to big for it odd because they ain't that large. Gideon's Tactical did warn people about hand size of what would make or break it for them. For me its a pinky hanging off the end short. Ok but I figured it would be shortish when I got it, U-tube said so and showed so, so I was well faired warned on that part, I wanted to get that out in the clear about it. And not sound like a "Hey I ordered it and the handles are to short!" whiner 09er.

Now that that's out of the way, its sort of like a short sharpened brick but it's not at the same time. The choil, which IS needed because of the short handle can let one get up and do very close work for bushy crafty stuff with its sharpened brick 1/4 spine as the "height" of the knife comes to a FFG cutting edge. Giving it a nice ability to cut effectively. Like how a Woodsman or RD9's FFG can cut finer things than an SP-51. Its probably going to easily baton things given its 5160 steel. And from my other OKC 5160 blades it should be pretty dang tough to survive most abuse you do with it, with in reason that is. I don't know about its "Hunting Knife" value as I just got it and never used it for that, it probably will work well for a hunting knife as it can slice nice and small enough to cut and gut critters.

Would I get another one? Well to small for mostly so I probably would get another TFI as the TFI works well for many tasks. But given its a good bushy task doer and can cut pretty well and is tough as heck with the 5160 steel, I'm not getting rid of this knife either. I may strip it if it becomes part of a good game processing system. And its damn bomb proof and simple enough I'd trust a younger person to use it. But people with small and medium hands and smaller large hands or narrow large hands might love it. For me its the hand size of the handle, which I can understand its short because other wise the knife would be super handle heavy. This knife will be moved around as a back up knife or be paired with a dedicated chopper for bushy duties as it seems to be able to do that pretty well.

Am I sorry I got it? No, it was a calculated may to be short for me or not. Knowing how strong Ranger knives are due to the way the steel is treated and such its bomb proof and will work out as a bomb proof bushy blade for a day hike or back up. And see how it cuts up critters this season.

If I had a choice between a RAT 3 and a Falcon? Well seeing how small the Rat 3 is I'd pick the Falcon any day over a Rat 3.

On a side note, the knife I really wanted to get was an Afghan, but when OKC stopped making them, they all went gone and poof so fast because every one wanted one before they disappeared I couldn't find any. Like how fast the SP-51 disappeared I noticed after its final sunset production run was done.

I do find the RD6 does make a great hunting knife, I sort of regret giving my little brother my RD 4 now but well he needs it more than I do and I got other knives to cover most of my critter cutting needs.

I recently picked one up as well. I really like it. I've got medium sized hands so it's fits me perfectly. It's a bomb proof mini pry bar that cuts. I too would take this over the Rat 3. I think it'll be a great companion to my SP8 when camping.

4 inches is a perfect deer cutting sized knife. My brother said today his RD4 is his favorite deer cutting knife for deer, other wise the RD6 is his favorite. Today he cut up some hogs with the RD 6 and Tanto, he likes the toughness and easy touch up. He'd probably like the Falcon but I need some thing for caping and tough deer cutting up myself for close inside work.

It worked well.

Friday got a deer in our party, my brother it was HIS turn to gut and we were farther out than normal, I looked the situation over realized I had mostly slick Buck 110s and offered what I brought, he took the Falcon, his hands fit it well, and started work.

He liked the micarta and the SHARP blade and the perfect 4" size for working doing such a job and the small handle for literal inside work. It remained grippy and he never lost his grip and kept working on it. The Falcon even went up the rib cage cutting it, around here deer seemed to of gotten tougher rib cages over the past 10 years as before a buck 110 type blade had no problem before. The Pelvis we could of maybe worked the falcon down on it, but he grabbed my NS7 for the finishing of the heavier cutting stuff. So both knives became literally frozen bloody fat covered tools. The NS7 for a second time.

Falcon a real good literal field dressing knife.

Back