Got my first modern folder; CS Luzon - hubba hubba

I get this is a budget knife but dang the action on this is nothing like I ever knew possible..... and shave sharp right outta the box. It's not a tri-ad lock just a simple leaf spring with a secondary manual safety lock. Plastic / polymer scales.

The blade shape, the action, the lock up, the grind, the ergo.....main i am hella happy.

If I am this happy with a budget knife how much better are these mega-$$$ knives. On the one hand I don't want to buy one and risk disappointment OTOH I want to buy one to see the difference.

I spend every other second flipping it open. I got a huge callous on my thumb from unlocking it and closing it one handed but that action has gotten easier or i have gotten better.

I got the short blade, paid way above what I could have online.

Does anyone know what the liner and leaf spring are made out of, it looks like grey plastic. I really can't tell if it's metal or not.

Finally what's a good online knife shop that ships internationally.

Glad you like it. Cold Steel has great knives that are less than $100 usd. Your lock is a stainless steel.

Can’t help you on the shipping part, sorry.

I was surprised by mine, it's really quite a steal for the price. It also comes in a ridiculously gigantic version, in case you need a pocket sword or to anchor a small watercraft:

sWim78x.jpg

It reminds me of the Ti-lite (which is great), with a clip point style. I’d get one if I didn’t have enough Ti-lites.

Don't know about their other knives, but my ad10 is a big, beefy, awesome knife and well worth the 110 I paid. It's not too bad to carry, but is larger than most people would edc. Hollow ground and slices well, but I can put it through a tree if need be.

Been tempted by cold steels cheaper stuff, just have never pulled the trigger.

If I am this happy with a budget knife how much better are these mega-$$$ knives. On the one hand I don't want to buy one and risk disappointment OTOH I want to buy one to see the difference.

Depends what you consider mega-$$$. Up until about $300 I think you get a great rate of return on materials, design and performance. Around $4 to 500 you still get amazing knives, but sometimes are paying a little more for the name behind the company and the service that is attached to it.

Above that are diminishing returns. Not that the knives are not usually fantastic, but they generally don't do anything different than the blades in lower price brackets. The price will reflect more exotic materials, limited quantities and more handmade time.

That being said, my daily is usually a CRK tanto Umnumzaan. It's only s30v steel, but I love everything about it. Is it worth the premium upcharge over a $200 knife with more modern blade steel? That depends entirely on you. To me it was, to others it isn't. So really the only way to find out is to buy or try progressively more expensive knives. It's very fun.

Gosh that was a long post.

Thats awesome! I’ve read very positive reviews on the Luzon. Nice blade shape. I’ve always liked their Recon series. Great knives for the price.

I get this is a budget knife but dang the action on this is nothing like I ever knew possible..... and shave sharp right outta the box. It's not a tri-ad lock just a simple leaf spring with a secondary manual safety lock. Plastic / polymer scales.

The blade shape, the action, the lock up, the grind, the ergo.....main i am hella happy.

I spend every other second flipping it open. I got a huge callous on my thumb from unlocking it and closing it one handed but that action has gotten easier or i have gotten better.

I got the short blade, paid way above what I could have online.

Does anyone know what the liner and leaf spring are made out of, it looks like grey plastic. I really can't tell if it's metal or not.

Finally what's a good online knife shop that ships internationally.
Its hard to find more knife for the money. I got the xl. I really love the bali style blade on a folder, and the action on mine is perfect.

Back