Got out the Soldering iron tonight

A few months ago I was playing with my BK2 and thought the handle's were too slick. Being in FL there is just no way around being outside, doing something physical, and sweating so I figured I'd make use of the extra grivory scales I have.

Well after hours of studying (all my professors are plotting against me and making tests on the same day :mad:) tonight I needed to kick back and take my mind off school.

I grabbed the scales, a soldering iron, and went to town! I love the new feel and I HIGHLY recommend doing this if you don't want to buy the micarta scales.

You get the advantage of having scales that...

1. Wont soak up water/sweat
2. Have a great purchase
3. Are impervious to everything
4. Have no added cost with all the added benefit

I love the micarta scales on my BK9, but the stipple on my BK2 is amazing!

P1090663.jpg

P1090661.jpg

P1090655.jpg

P1090654.jpg

That looks like it would be REALLY rough on the hands; how does it feel? Have you used it yet since finishing it?

That's a cool idea. I think that, if it is a bit rough, you could easily knock down the high points with a quick sand. Way to think outside the box!

been seeing a lot more of that lately :)

Bladite

Right now it doesn't seems too rough, but I'll be testing it this weekend. I know with extended use my hands may not like it very much. If its a problem I am planning on lightly sanding it to reduce the ridges. I don't think it'll be an issue though...

It took about 40-50 mins to finish and thanks for the kind words guys!

I have seen alot of people do that to their plastic bodied pistols and have seen and actually touched pistols and knife handles idenitical to that before.

However I have never seen on the Beckers and it appears that the givory may have a higher melting point therefore a slower burn (melt) and better finish (plastic doesn't pull up when you lift the iron making sharp points)without becoming overly sharp. Very clean line on the spine too leaving a nice finish. It might have been a bit much up top anyway making some hot spots. Very well done my friend. I like it.

did you tape off the areas you didn;t want stippled? or you got real steady hands? looks baddass!

Way to go rmc.
Nice job. We would love to mold a handle like that but you can imagine the issues we would have.
What I really like is the creativity that people use to come up with solutions to problems.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto

Sr. Eng.
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

I didnt use any tape or anything else. I just made my initial line and then went crazy with no pattern, depth, or reason as to why a place got hit with the soldering iron.

I'm sure I'll find some hot spots, but it needs to stop raining (gonna be raining all week) and I need to study. Testing the grip will be a few days out still...

Excellent. If you find it's to harsh you could just lightly hit it with some fine sandpaper. Great free improvement you did there, looks good also.

You can go over that with some 220 grit paper and it will take the excessive texture down without losing the benefit of the stipling.
There will be some light spots in the coloration which can be fixed with a light coat of oil and a good rub down.

It looks like it will work very well if the melted plastic isn't all pointy like it appears in the pictures (I have no idea what happens to Grivory when you heat it up...).
I had an idea that I thought was brilliant: I slid some rubber tubing (bicycle inner tube I think, or something comparable) over the handles of all my Beckers. It provides an amazing amount of grip and is very easy to undo. But your way looks good too. :D

It has the exact same feel/texture as my Kershaw Blur handles when it was new. I'm talking about the older Blur's not the new ones that have the rubber in the handle. Its a kind of skate tape feel.

I had an idea that I thought was brilliant: I slid some rubber tubing (bicycle inner tube I think, or something comparable) over the handles of all my Beckers. It provides an amazing amount of grip and is very easy to undo. But your way looks good too. :D

I do that with my Glocks. My hands are to stubby for the Hogue slip on grips with the finger bumps, on top of the Glock finger bumps. Since the inner tube lasts about nine months or so before they start to shred, one inner tube could last a career.

Im going to give you a few weeks to see how you like the new stippling on your Becker, then I'll do mine.:D

saaaaaaaay...lets say i take my BK2 scales......heat stipple them.......make a precision mold and pour a bunch of slabs..........hmmmm..........any interest?

Back