Got the (unusual) Schatts!

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
I've been reorganizing some knifely stuff, and came across these three. Haven't seen them for a year or so; they were made for the Queen show, I think in 2003, but I can't remember how many were made. These have the 3 handle choices available, Imitation horn, white cell, and black micarta-like laminate, all with red plastic shields. Schatt & Morgan used plastic shields on some knives many years ago, but not necessarily on "Dollar Knives".
Made to recall the Dollar Knife Company, many of whose knives were made by Schatt & Morgan. As a commemorative, the knives kinda missed the mark for a number of reasons, but they are great little jacks, single bladed, snappy, and a hair shy of 3 1/2" long.
As far as actual Dollar Knives go, there was a little booklet put out by a very knowledgeable Dollar Knife collector, with an author of knife books among other things. Good info, but all I can say is, I wish Amos had written it, or one of the other talented yarn-spinners on BF, because it is a positive snore to read!
The knives are exciting though, so for you ogling pleasure, here they are:
DollarTrio.jpg

DollarBook.jpg

Sweet! Naturally, I love that pattern. Kind of nice to see some non-fancy S&Ms. Figures you would have the unusual, Charlie. I've come to count on that. ;)

Nice Charlie, I have been watching those come and go for a while now on auctions but I had never heard the story behind them. Now I know the rest of the story...:thumbup: :) Much appreciated..Hey are you giving tours at your house !!! :rolleyes:

Sunburst

I've got a mini-tour coming up! I'm just putting the finishing touches on some display cases, and will post some pics here this week!

I was at the table when they brought those knives into the show. Bought 3 and now wish I had bought a dozen. The first batch was 25 in number, not sure how many more were made. Not many, for sure.
Thanks for showing them . bruce

I was standing right next to you, birdog!! I called Jennie at Queen, but she couldn't remember how many were made, offhand. I'll find out eventually!
See you at the next Queen show??

I've posted these elsewhere, but promised the tour here, so please enjoy my Schrade Cut. Co. collection below!!
DSC01298.jpg

DSC01288.jpg

I just finished organizing them, and taking pics for insurance.

"Allright Fantastic"

Thank you waynorth for taking the time to share your jewel case...Very nice... :thumbup:

I am trying to take my time and pick out the one or two that I just have to have but seem to be having a hard time picking only one or two...:eek: :rolleyes:

Ahhhhhsuummmmmm!

Waynorth, I'm stunned!!!
That's a fine collection you've got there! Very fine indeed!!
What on earth is the white knife next to the hawkbills meant for?

/ Karl

We're gonna try like hell to get there:) Haven't missed one yet.
IMO, that's one of the best shows I attend. Such a wide variety of knives!
Every time I see Jennie, I torment her about making those $knives in 1095. All I get is that smile and a "we'll see". bruce

Karl, that's a "potting" knife I think, for transferring seedlings and related activities. It is etched "Gardener's Friend"

Hope to see you there, Bruce! I'm just trying to decide whether to get a table or not;
Charlie

Finished another display; these are Schrade Waldens;
DSC01303.jpg

Some unusual ones in there- I hope you can see them!! My photo skills a evolving slowly, very slowly!:eek:

All I can say Charlie is... OH MY!!!
You certainly have a bigger knife budget than I.
Tell me about that Cotton Sampler, how old? derlin handles? Is it also a Walden?

I came on here to make a joke about having the Schatts and taking Imodium.

However, I've been stunned into humility by those fantastic collection pics.

Excellent work. :thumbup:

Another "WOW" moment looking at those Schrade Waldens, waynorth.
You are my hero!! :D :thumbup:

/ Karl

I always think of that knife as a rope knife, knowtracks. I have a couple more coming up on my next board that have rope company advertising; wood handles BTW. I'm sure you could sample cotton with it though!

As long as it's "unusual" Imodium you should be O.K. Guyon!!:eek: :D

Back