GPS advice needed

My father is in his early 80's but is in excellent health, and an avid fisherman. He has decided that he wants a GPS unit, which is something I know little about. He is looking for one that is accurate, fairly simple to operate, and has the ability to input maps of different cities. I would like to say that price is no issue, but he does not need a high priced ultra top of the line model. He is willing to spend up to a couple hundred dollars, perhaps a bit more if it has all the features he needs.

So, all you GPS nuts out there, what would you recommend? Any advice you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Davidson

Garmin. My hand-held works great and is small enough to easily fit in a pocket. They have models that are designed with fishing in mind... scrolling maps as well as bottom contour features, etc.

AJ

I second Garmin. Take a look at the e-trex Legend @ $250 from West Marine and other places. I have the e-trex Mariner @ $180 but I think your Father would really like the Legend. I'm thinking about getting one myself.

I've been extremely pleased with my Garmin 12XL, and the service received from Garmin. I've not needed any repairs, but did take them up on a hardware/software upgrade. Return was very fast - basically they sent me a NEW unit. There site is very thorough, and offers software updates for just about everything of theirs that you can hook up to a PC.

I'd recommend a unit with a minimum of 12-channel parallel reception for the greatest accuracy in more varied conditions. I've tested many, but found Garmin and 12 channels parallel locks on and pinpoints your position faster than others, even through some moderate tree/leaf cover.

The 12XL can be found for around $200 if you look around. There's a color unit now, but you can save some $$ by staying black/grey/white. The 12XL has major and minor cities in its permanent memory, but no roads or landmarks. If you're looking for a unit that has that info, then keep looking. If you're looking to find out where you've been, where you are now, and how to get back with superb accuracy and at a decent price, chk out the 12XL.

Now if it would only find my car keys....

Thanks for all the information you all. I've been asking around in different stores, and some friends of mine too. The choices are somewhat mindboggling, especially since this is an area of technology that I've never looked into.

It seems that Garmin has been getting good remarks from just about everyone. Here are some more concerns that have come up while I've been looking.

1. It has to be pretty simple to operate. My father is a smart man, but didn't grow up with the technology that so many of us take for granted. Programming the VCR gives him fits.

2. A lot of the units I've looked at seem to use a computer with a CD-ROM to update. My father has no intention of getting a computer, so it has to be updatable using chips/cards. Garmin does seem to make a few of these.

3. He does want to use it for travel and would like for it to have highways and cities available for it. Color screen is not important.

I have a feeling that he might be looking for something that doesn't quite exist. The simple operation thing is the hardest for me to guage over the internet. Just looking at a picture and reading the features doesn't give me an idea of how easy it is to operate.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Paul

Sorry to dissent from the Garmin ranks but I have found my Magellan 315 very handy. Pretty easy to use and it has a vast number of cities already in its memory. However there is no way to input furhter data without a computer. I've had it since Christmas and no worries so far.
smile.gif

Take a look at the Garmin Emap, Garmin 12 Map, Garmin 3 plus, or Lowrance Global Map 100.

These units come with a base map of the USA and some parts of Canada. Major and many minor roads, as wells as major cities and minor villages are included in the base map. He will not have download information from a computer unless more detail is required.

The Global Map 100 is currently available for under 200 $US from Cabela's. I have this one at it works quite well for me.

The Garmin Emap is apparently not very water resistant. The others can be immersed (up to 2 ft).

Check out:

http://joe.mehaffey.com/

Will

[This message has been edited by Will Kwan (edited 04-18-2001).]

I'm very pleased with my Magellan 315. It gets me to and from everywhere I've had to go.

Back