"Gravity closing" of the pre-DB models...

NOTE: This thread duplicated in the Spydersite forum

Folks,

Regarding the spine lock designs... is it my imagination, or has the David Boye dent in the locking levers of these various knives so equipped, pretty much removed the possibility of "gravity closing" these models, as one perhaps could have before the dent was added?

I'm aware that the DB dent supposedly aids in preventing "accidental closings", but in my opinion, it seems to also preclude the possibility of one being able to push down on the locking lever and having the well-smoothened action of their favorite Spydie simply drop it's blade most of the way back towards it's resting, or closed position.

Without exception; the models I've tried without the David Boye dent in their locking levers have reliably done this, whereas the ones with this newer feature will unlock alright, but seem to need a bit of a "shake" of the hand to dislodge them from their physical position in which they were locked up.

It occurs to me that this is caused by a bit of drag on the top of the locking portion of their blade by pressure from the spring loaded locking lever. This semms to be because the lever is only being depressed as much as one can do so once some of the lever has been ground away, such as is the case with those modified in the David Boye style.

Your thoughts, fellow Spydercoians?

Jeff/1911.

Back