Gravity knife.

The classic example is a German military knife with a trigger and a blade that slides out the front (OFT).
When the trigger is pulled as the knife is held vertically, the blade can drop down and lock in place by gravity. No springs are used in the knife. Bring the knife up , pull the trigger and the blade drops back into the handle.

Another example (subject to interpretation) would be any knife in which the blade can be opened without touching the blade and with out the use of an activating device, knob, button, etc..., only gravity.

I modified a Buck 110 and a Schrade LB7 years ago by reprofiling the blade heels so that they could be flicked open quite easily. This could fall under the definition of a gravity blade depending on who saw the knives in action. I usually explained that they were "worn out". They were carried in vertical leather sheaths ( Dukes of Hazzard was big then) otherwise they would open in your pocket.

Both my Spyderco Military and Dodo have been modded to preform in the same manner without really changing the knife, just polishing and tweaking the action/lock.

I see. Basically any knife that could be opened with a flick of the wrist, w/o touching the blade, would then fall into this category.

I've seen the term used only in legal contexts; made me wonder if the things were mythical.

The legal definition of "gravity knife" is unclear. The German military knife that Mr. zeus36 described is the classic gravity knife. It's sort of like one of Microtech's out-the-front autos (the Halo or Nemesis for example) only without the spring. The Colt CT-37 Search and Rescue Tool (CSAR) is a currently-produced out-the-front gravity knife. Do a web search and you can find pictures and retails sales.

Classifying other types of folding knives as "gravity knives" is legally tricky. It really depends on how courts in your area have historically defined that term.

I wonder if an erstwhile illegal gravity knife is legal in outer space.

Back