Grazioso

kingston73

Gold Member
Just got a Grasioso and it's much nicer than expected, an amazing looking knife and great deal IMO. I think it's the closest thing to a flipper 940 that I've ever tried. The only thing I'm not sure about is the steel, I've never used n690. Opinions on it? Anybody else have this knife?

D37A9ED1-D277-43B3-92C9-25474C8FB4F2.jpegC5C699B1-4279-4E0C-9734-7AE9E9F9F77A.jpeg

I was looking at that one today, nice! Love the brass and that little recurve.
N690 is similar to VG-10, it gets nice and sharp easily but doesn't hold the edge as long as some of the other super steels out there so it depends on your usage/preference as to how long you'll be happy between sharpenings.
Enjoy it!

Got one of each and love 'em . . . though my brass/micarta model may be going back to Kizer for a repair or replacement as it is all-but-impossible to flip. If I encounter any vendor problems, I'll post 'em, though I don't anticipate any.

The copper/G-10 model has broken in nicely, and I carry it often. It is quickly developing a very rich and impressive patina.

Haven't really put enough miles on either to discuss sharpening, though I do keep them stropped. Will undoubtedly use a Sharpmaker to handle the mild recurve of the blades.

I'd be hard put to cite any knives as handsome and rich looking for the money.

N690 seems to be more popular in European knives. I've mostly used it on Kizer's knives. I have a Bradford Guardian in N690 but I haven't used it enough to be able to compare them. Overall, Kizer's N690 is good to go for my EDC needs. I'm not a hard user but I'd love to hear from anyone who is.

People often compare N690 to VG-10. They have a few chemical similarities including their cobalt content. As far as practical differences, they are fairly similar on edge retention. VG-10 is a little tougher but N690 is more stainless. N690 also seems to have a better reputation. I still sometimes see it used in custom knives. It wouldn't be fair to compare with a custom heat treatment. Coincidentally, I've wondered about the heat treatment it gets on some of the more expensive European knives.

The OG versions are great, priced well, exceptionally smooth, good execution of the recurve (one of the few). The "premium" version doesn't interest me...I'm sure its great.

N690 lacks VG10 edge retention, but I find it chips less. Roughly same level of stainless.

N690 is "eh", Kizer is replacing their lower lineup with 154CM, I would've preferred that. Maybe a burgundy or navy micarta. Ti/CF is so overused these days...

... N690 lacks VG10 edge retention, but I find it chips less. Roughly same level of stainless.

N690 is "eh", Kizer is replacing their lower lineup with 154CM, I would've preferred that. Maybe a burgundy or navy micarta. Ti/CF is so overused these days...

This is interesting to me. N690 shouldn't lack for edge retention versus VG-10. If anything, N690 should be slightly better. Larrin rates them the same but of course, that's based on an ideal heat treatment. The difference you are experiencing might be a matter of heat treatment.

Another aspect that might point towards heat treatment is that VG-10 is supposed to be tougher than N690. It could also be fatigued steel. The effects of the factory grinder can run several edges deep. It can retard edge retention and cause issues like chipping until you are down to fresh steel. How deep you have to go will depend on who was running the grinder that day...

Coincidentally, 154CM is tied with N690 on toughness and edge retention in Larrin's ratings. Again, that is based on an ideal heat treatment. For people getting noticeably better edge retention with 154CM, I've wondered if that steel is just friendlier to mass heat treatment. One thing I like about N690 is that it is much more stainless than 154CM.

I was looking at that one today, nice! Love the brass and that little recurve.
N690 is similar to VG-10, it gets nice and sharp easily but doesn't hold the edge as long as some of the other super steels out there so it depends on your usage/preference as to how long you'll be happy between sharpenings.
Enjoy it!
As far as N690 goes, it's very similar to VG-10, but it's usally cheaper! And that's good ;)

Back