Great 1st Knife for Son?

Triple B - I lived in Michigan farm country when I was your son's age. My family didn't have much money, but used folders for some task every day. My dad bought me a decent size stockman for some event. I forgot the brand, but everyone around us seemed to carry one. The one I got was similar to the Boy Scout knife I already had but was bigger. A Stockman is a classic multiple blades knife, and didn't break the bank when my dad bought it or they would have been hell to pay with my mom.

The Stockman, a family of knives - YouTube

The 5 Best Stockman Knives In The Limelight For 2020 - Survivor's Fortress

Last edited:
The Zancudo is just a tick smaller then a Rat II; a frame lock version, slightly different blade shape, but otherwise very similar knife...
Actually it was designed by the same folks... Knifeworks has a bunch of different color options available too...

Another option, not quite a whole half inch smaller, is the small Buck Vantage... small flipper tab and thumb hole make it easy to open for someone with no finger nails.

Last edited:
After all these suggestions, you just have to let us know what you and your son settled on!;)

He and I have looked at numerous knives online and he really likes the CRKT Squid in all black. He likes the smaller size for his first knife and the thumb stud opening!

Unless he changes his mind that will probably be the one.

TripleB67

Last edited:
This is a tough one. My inner teenager say get him something tactical yet functional like a Cold Steel Recon 1.

But it's 2021, no 1992 when I was 13. So the Recon would be frowned upon.

Maybe a one hand opener SAK like the Vic locksmith.

Otherwise, can't go wrong with Spyderco's FRN models.

Vic SAK. He can build his own fire and
Open a can of beans to warm up with it.

Back