Great Big Waki Picture Thread

Okay folks, here's a new one. Post pictures of anything that would pass for a "waki"... this includes short "tactical" waki's, Custom wakis, traditional wakizashis, or short swords of similar flavors.

If you own it, post it... if you think it's worth mentioning and don't own it, post it anyway. Make sure that anything you post includes the name of the product, and it's maker

Her are a few that i own, or have purchased and am awaiting delivery on.

Hanwei Tactical Wakizashi

CASHanweiTacticalWakizashi.jpg

Busse Combat AK47

5320919577_579b03aa22.jpg

And some that i don't own, but like a lot

Wally Hayes Wakizashi

Waki.jpg

Mitchell Waki

Waki%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

Criswell Wakizashi

criswell06.jpg

Swamp Rat Waki

picture6932.jpg

If you make a waki, or have some that you're fond of, post em here :)

I'll have a picture for you in a month or so when I finish my current iteration.

I've got a Hanwei Tac Wak (actually, a pair), and a Badger Blades waki.

This one was my first prototype:
2012-06-14182608.jpg

I've seen badger blades at the local ren fest and always felt they were more sword like objects than swords. They are built extremely tough and handle more like a club than a sword by my estimation.

I think may sword enthusiasts will agree that MOST of the "tactical" type wakizashi (or tactical swords in general) don't handle like a traditional sword handles.

They are generally overbuilt, and tend to have different balance

I've got one with a circular guard. It was my first sword that was actually made by a maker and not a factory. Looking back in retrospect, I'm less impressed than I was. The guard is too small, and bites into your knuckles when you try to wield it (I had to round it down on the bench grinder), and balance isn't great. They're very tough, as was mentioned, and do a great job bashing things that you'd never take an actual sword to. But when I was there looking over their offerings, I noticed a lot of details that I felt were sloppy: uneven grinds that didn't match up from one side of the blade to the other being one of the more notable. I think my craftsmanship is already just as good in terms of grinding, although they do have a great heat treat. Baltimore Knife is the other smith that frequents my Ren Fest, and their work is much cleaner. Both use 1075 steel heat treated to a mid 50's RC.

Well Here are two versions of what might pass for a Waki. sized sword, although it is by no means "traditional"
these are pictures of our M-12 and M-13 swords. they are the same except that the M-12 is curved, and the M-13 is straight.
They are made from 5/16 thick 5160, and the scales are tan G-10 we will include a black kydex sheath also.
I do not have any of these listed for sale, because all the ones I have are spoken for. I do have a waiting list. these would be about a 5 week wait.
(the ones on the green background are the M-13)
IMG_9427.jpgIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPGIMG_9421.jpg

Well Here are two versions of what might pass for a Waki. sized sword, although it is by no means "traditional"
these are pictures of our M-12 and M-13 swords. they are the same except that the M-12 is curved, and the M-13 is straight.
They are made from 5/16 thick 5160, and the scales are tan G-10 we will include a black kydex sheath also.
I do not have any of these listed for sale, because all the ones I have are spoken for. I do have a waiting list. these would be about a 5 week wait.
(the ones on the green background are the M-13)
View attachment 291001View attachment 291002View attachment 291003View attachment 291004View attachment 291005

What is the price of one of these? Dimensions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Alvaro.
The last M-13 we sold was $1,100.00 that includes shipping to the Con. U.S. and a black kydex sheath.
The M-12 is a little more. (takes more work with the curve)
They measure 31in overall, with a 22in blade. they are 2in wide at the guard, with a blade width of 1 1/2in. they are zero ground for better slicing. the last one was just under 3lb. thanks for your interest. be sure to check us out on facebook, and youtube.

I have to agree... a waki (IMHO) should be light and fast.

BTW, CF, sent you an email bout the kukri

Wow, 3 lb is a heavy waki. That unfortunately would cross it off of my list. They do look cool though.

That 3lb. is a pre zero grind weight. Just wanted to be on the safe side. actual weight was 2lb 11oz before the zero grind. I am not sure what the finished weight was. I'll let you know.
just as a side note, this is also longer then most waki's. it is 5in longer then a scrapizashi, and almost 4in longer then a busse AK 47.

Last edited:
i have to admit that i really love the design. If it comes in at or under 2lbs, it will be pretty much optimal based on the blade length.

I would really like to handle one and compare it to some of the other blades i have. The Hanwei Tactical waki, and the Busse AK47 are my current faves in that category.

I certainly don't think comparing your blade to the hanwei would be meaningful, as i have little doubt that your blade would outperform it in every category except (perhaps) soft material cutting.

The Busse is probably similarly tough, but it's 3 inches shorter. I don't think there's really anything that is closely matched in design to your blade.

You ought to pick a few people who are completely unrelated to your business, and send them one for testing and review. It looks like you make very good blades, but to most of us, you are an unknown maker and there are no reviews that i can find other than those sponsored by your business

Just my thoughts on the matter

i have to admit that i really love the design. If it comes in at or under 2lbs, it will be pretty much optimal based on the blade length.

I would really like to handle one and compare it to some of the other blades i have. The Hanwei Tactical waki, and the Busse AK47 are my current faves in that category.

I certainly don't think comparing your blade to the hanwei would be meaningful, as i have little doubt that your blade would outperform it in every category except (perhaps) soft material cutting.

The Busse is probably similarly tough, but it's 3 inches shorter. I don't think there's really anything that is closely matched in design to your blade.

You ought to pick a few people who are completely unrelated to your business, and send them one for testing and review. It looks like you make very good blades, but to most of us, you are an unknown maker and there are no reviews that i can find other than those sponsored by your business

Just my thoughts on the matter

Point taken. we are considering sending one out for testing, just not sure who yet. all of our customers have been very happy.
It is hard to explain how a sword "feels" unless your holding it, and makers that are not as well known tend to get overlooked.
I agree.

There are quite a few well known reviewers out there... it really depends on whether you're looking for an "impressions and light use" type of review, or a full blown "destruction testing" type of review.

The latter will build instant cred for your brand, and produce a high level of interest/demand, UNLESS your sword happens to perform poorly... so there's some risk, albeit not substantial.

The former will get you some additional name recognition and will give people a better idea of what they're getting for their money.

The third option is to do a "pass around". Make a list of people somewhat qualified to assess your blade, and send it out to the first one to play with, then have him post his impressions, pictures, etc on a "review thread"... then he will send it to the second on the list and so on. This is a very cost effective way to generate multiple reviews of your products in a short(ish) time. There's no doubt that the reviews are legit, because the reviewers have nothing to gain from you either way.

If you opt to take that route, add my name to the list. Sadly i am unqualified to do either of the other types :grumpy:

Maybe Joe Paranee or STeven Garsson? I think both are traditionally trained. I would like to see a review from someone who knows how to use a sword.

Maybe we could get Nos to come out of retirement for this one?

There are a good half dozen "distruction testers" on youtube who have done dozens of test and have pretty good procedures in place

Personally, a test like what Nos does is about the best thing you can do for your rep IF your knife survives

Here's my ruki with the sheath I made. I have a hunting sword coming from Arms and Armour shortly, I'll post that when I get er

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

Maybe we could get Nos to come out of retirement for this one?

There are a good half dozen "distruction testers" on youtube who have done dozens of test and have pretty good procedures in place

Personally, a test like what Nos does is about the best thing you can do for your rep IF your knife survives

I don't really like this idea. Destruction tests are less than worthless, IMO, particularly for a sword. We already have a pretty good idea that the Miller Brothers make a durable blade. What we DON'T know, is how good of a SWORD they make. How do the blades perform at cutting? How do they handle? Noss and his ilk are woefully incapable of answering those sort of questions, and in my estimation, if it can't perform well as a sword, it doesn't matter how well it holds up to damage. It's still not worth buying. Just my .02 dollars (I always wondered about people who say .02 cents, because that's 2 one-hundredths of a cent?)

Some, I'm sure, will disagree. But I'd really rather see a good swordsman or cutter do a review than some nutjob in a mask who knows nothing about using a blade, and only pounds on it until it breaks. I never saw the point in a destruction test. It tells you how much abuse it can handle, but it doesn't tell you about whether or not it can actually perform the task it was designed for.

Gregorio, that's a nice design on that sheath. How do you usually carry it?

Back