Great knife under $30

wlf

Last week my girl friend asked me to recommend a good camping knife for under fifty dollars. The first one that popped into my mind was the Pilots Survival Knife. This knife is still made by Camillus and Ontario (maybe others)and sells for about $25 dollars. It would also be a good knife for a lower ranking soldier until he could afford something with a little more status like a Randall or Strider or whatever the latest hot item is. The current version of this knife comes with a well thought out sheath that incorporates metal reinforcing, a stone pocket, and even a stone. This unglamorous knife, along with the KaBar, were probably the two most popular knives worn by Special Forces in VN. (Of course one reason for the knife's popularity was that there were great numbers of them available and were free for the taking.) Leigh

Cool...
I actually have no experiance with the Pilot survival knife, or the ka-bar style knives.

Do have some with the Ontario Spec Plus line tho... and I like those, ones in the size range of the Pilot Survival Knife, seems to run about $30, if I am remembering correctly.
I have one of the Marine Raider bowies, and I like it a lot. Original handle wasnt perfect, but it was a far sight better than some. I picked it up used from a forumite, awhile back, for about $30... it was used, had a ding in the spine, and some coating coming off, but that was fine by me, I've abused the snot out of it, and its still going strong. (Actually now, its without a handle, out in my shop, waiting to have a new handle, thats shaped to my hand, fitted.)

If you wanted to spend another $25 bucks or so, something good to go with the Pilot Survival knife (or just by itself for when the P.S.K. couldnt be carried) would be a Camillus CUDA Arc-Lite neck knife. I hear these are very good, and I am planning on getting one soon.

Man I am so jealous. I paid $125 for an Ontario Pilots Survival Knife about a week ago. I wish we could get good knives for under 50 bucks. Can't get a good one here for under $100.

Grab a little Frosts utility knife- (the ones from Sweden, not the TV crap). http://www.swedishknives.com/760craft.htm They run ~$15.00 or so. Excellent knife. Perfect size. Bring a camp axe for chopping & a $10.00 machete for clearing brush. Unless you're really going into the deep wilderness for an extended period, these will meet your cutting needs.

For maybe a few dollars more than $30 is the Buck Nighthawk. It is a good, stout knife, with a very good "feel" to it.:).

Back