Greco Companion

UPS just delivered my Greco Companion, and I am truly pleased.

Fit and finish are excellent, and the Companion is most probably bomb proof.
The grind lines are perfect, and the fit of the micarta scales is also perfect.
The blade coating is very uniform, and looks quite nice really, although I can't say how durable it is yet.

If you are looking for a super heavy duty knife of excellent quality, you can't beat the Greco Companion, on clearance for $49.95 at http://www.bladeart.com

My poorly written "review" was so complete nobody had anything to add? Or is it my breath perhaps? :)

At any rate, my Companion has been my constant Companion for a day now, and I have had a chance to put it to some tests, and I'm more than pleased.
I use the term "tests" loosely, because most of what I have used the Companion for so far are not things that I do regularly.

I chopped up some of my desk, as this has somehow become standard for me to test the impact resistance of whatever knife I am holding at the time. This is mainly because the first knife I impulsively chopped into the desk with ended up with a nice chip in the edge.
Anyway, several whacks into the laminated edge resulted in no damage whatsover, except to the desk. The Companion did cut some pretty big chunks out of my desk, with moderate force used.

I then chopped a 2X4 in half. Standard 2X4 wood, not weathered or dried out or anything, so it was not that tough, but the Companion chopped through very nicely. I did not count the chops needed to whach through, but it went through pretty quickly.

I cut the top out of a coffee can, and then cut another coffee can in half. I did have to hammer it through when cutting it in half, but still no damage to the edge! And it would still shave hair.

I cut one of those 5 gallon plastic carboy's in half. Not really a tough task you might think at first, but I'm here to tell you, the plastic they use for those carboy's is tough stuff indeed.
It takes a pretty tough blade not to snap in two just from trying to get the blade lose when it binds up. Again, no edge damage.

I also stabbed it into another carboy several times, mainly to see if the coating would be damaged. The blade coating did scuff up a bit, but as near as I can tell it's fully intact. It's a bit hard to tell, as the coating is clear.

I cut up several very thick heavy duty cardboard boxes.

I cut several strips off of a square piece of industrial plastic backed carpeting.

I had meant to try hammering nails with the tang, but I forgot.
The full length exposed tang is something that really appealed to me, for the very reason that I might need to hammer with it at some point.

I did not stab wood and snap the blade out sideways, again because I did not think of it at the time.

I cut up some ham with it, and this is the only place it did not excel, due to the thickness of the blade. The ham I was cutting were slices off of a "ham roast" type thing.

After the above tasks, the edge would no longer shave hair, but it did push slice regular cardboard pretty well, and was still very servicable except for maybe the most delicate cutting work.

At first, I did hesitate to actually try using my new Greco for these "tests", because I could not find information anywhere about how tough Greco knives were advertised to be, although they look and feel indestructible. I really did not want to damage the knife, simply because it is very nice and a truly excellent piece of craftsmanship, irregardless of whether it's covered under a warranty or not. It's just a shame to needlessly wreck a nice knife.

Thankfully, the Companion is none the worse for wear, and I am confident that whatever foolish or abusive use I might put it to, the Companion can take it.

Dang, I'm a one man thread.....:D

Anyway, I wanted to comment on the ease of sharpening the Companion, and on A2 tool steel in general, as I guess mine would be representative of A2 overall.

After finally managing to dull the Companion, a standard sharpening with the Spyderco sharpmaker got the edge scary sharp.
Honestly, testing the edge by shaving some arm hair resulted in a nice pile of hair laying on the blade before I realized what was happening. By "standard sharpening" I mean the procedure outlined in the instructions, of 30 strokes per side on the course and fine sticks, and then I stropped the blade on an unloaded leather belt.

It just doesn't get any easier than that, at least not for me.

Sometimes you have to talk to yourself to find intelligent conversation :) I checked out your link, this knife definitely seems like a bargain.

The companion is a nice knife that offers a lot of bang-for-the-buck but would you prefer a kydex sheath or the leather one it comes with?

hardheart,

That is exaclty what I tell the wife when she gives me one of those "who are you talking to now" looks :)

Shootist,

While I really like leather sheaths, the standard leather sheath that came with the Companion rides a bit low for me, which makes it hard to keep it discreet while I'm at work. A nice kydex sheath might just do the trick.

Mike,
You are right! The companion is a great knife for the money! I bought one from John at the Blade show and gave it to a friend who was moving to Alaska . . . he has used it extensively and is very impressed!

I own a 5" Companion Mk II in A2, and you are exactly right, one heck of a knife!! It is literally bomb proof! This was my first foray into tool steels versus cutlery stainless steels. I love that A2. It cuts great, stays sharp forever, and is easy to resharpen. The only thing I don't like is the thickness for the blade length. Don't get me wrong, the 1/4" thickness is part of the formula that makes it so tough, bit I think a blade that thick should be a minimum of 6 1/2" long, if not longer. For a 5" blade, I would prefer 3/16" or even 1/8", and with the A2 steel and John's excellent differential heat treat, you could get away with a thinner blade to help in the slicing department. I bought my Companion to be my EDC around the house, but when it came to kitchen work, it was just too thick. That's why it was replaced by an M2 Nimravus[bitchin' knife, too].

As for the sheath, I sent mine to Eric at On/Scene Tactical [Normark], and he fixed me up with an excellent high ride/concealment sheath. Makes the Companion that much more useable, IMHO.

Mike, I too bought a few on sale- all the ones I have are uneven in most grinds except for the edge itself.... but overall for the money they are pretty good even at the 69.00 they used to be I think. I took mine out over the weekend while scouting a property and really like it. The sheath does need something though it is perfectly usable. I plan on it to be put into a "car kit" and utility use... Oh and BTW I guess you will have to check your knives at the door if you come to my office :D although there is quite a woodpile for you to playwith out back....

Originally posted by Brigadier
I own a 5" Companion Mk II in A2, and you are exactly right, one heck of a knife!! It is literally bomb proof! This was my first foray into tool steels versus cutlery stainless steels. I love that A2. It cuts great, stays sharp forever, and is easy to resharpen. The only thing I don't like is the thickness for the blade length. Don't get me wrong, the 1/4" thickness is part of the formula that makes it so tough, bit I think a blade that thick should be a minimum of 6 1/2" long, if not longer. For a 5" blade, I would prefer 3/16" or even 1/8", and with the A2 steel and John's excellent differential heat treat, you could get away with a thinner blade to help in the slicing department. I bought my Companion to be my EDC around the house, but when it came to kitchen work, it was just too thick. That's why it was replaced by an M2 Nimravus[bitchin' knife, too].

I really like that it's 1/4" myself, although I really don't know why that is.
Now, the length thing...I have heard that before, but again, I don't understand the thinking really. What would blade length influence thickness? If 1/4" is good for a 9" blade, why would it not be good for a 4" blade?

I'm really loving A2, as it is very easy to get scary sharp, and from what I have seen, it's surely some very tough steel indeed.

As for the sheath, I sent mine to Eric at On/Scene Tactical [Normark], and he fixed me up with an excellent high ride/concealment sheath. Makes the Companion that much more useable, IMHO

I emailed Eric about a sheath for the Companion, but I did not hear back from him...maybe he is out of town, or super busy.
The more I wear/use the standard leather sheath, the more I grow used to it and like it.

tallpaul,

Maybe I got lucky, but the grind lines on my Companion are perfectly symetrical, as near as I can tell. However, I would not be bothered really if they were not, I don't think.
I have a few more Greco's on the way that should arrive this week, so I'll have to check those over to see what they have.

Really, as well as my Companion has performed so far, uneven grind lines would be a small price to pay.
I'm just very pleased with the Greco and A2 tool steel. The ease of sharpening is incredible, and truly, I don't think I have ever had a knife that is as sharp as my Companion. True, it won't work well as a kitchen knife, but I have a Dozier professional Guide's knife on the way also, so maybe it will stand kithen duty :)

Mike, the uneven grinds as you said are kinda a mute point. They just confirm that they are hand ground? They do not seem to bother the performance and for the money I think that there is a lot there. I like them :)

Tallpaul,

That's a good point, about confirming that it's handmade. I should have an MST Mk II-5 coming in today, so I'll check the grind lines on that one.

As for the Companion, it still has not suffered any damage. I have stabbed it into plywood, 2X4's, railroad ties, and other woods, then snapped it out sideways to see if the tip would break or bend, but no, absolutely no damage.
I pried open the vents on steel lockers, did not even slightly bend, and certainly did not break or damage the edge.
As for regular cutting tasks, I'm just astounded at how well this knife will slice through with ease on just about anything I have tried so far.

The coating is showing quite a few scuffs, but as near as I can tell it's not damaged yet. I did read in some other thread that the cost of getting it recoated was like $8! How can you beat that?

Before I found this Greco Companion, I had about convinced myself that I just had to have a Busse Mean Street. I must say that now I'm glad I did not do this, as I have saved a bundle. Of course the Companion is not the same knife from a different maker, but it's suiting me perfectly so far.

Speaking of Busse though, the new 4" Pure Bred Fighter, looks quite a bit like the blade on my Companion.

I am thinking, possibly, about having the micarta textured a bit on mine though, maybe like the fluting on the Busse Satin Jack. Not sure who would do this, maybe John Greco would.

R.J. Martin, known for the sharpness of his edges, uses a lot of A-2, and I find that it is one of the steels that will take a scary sharp edge in my relatively inexpert hands. Couple that with the fact that until Busse went to INFI, they used a lot of A-2, and they are known for tough knives. Gee, the guy who makes the sharpest knives and the shop that makes the toughest knives both have used A-2 extensively...seems like a pretty decent endorsment.

Blast all of you guys, I have enough knives! Don't
need any more! I am broke!

Glad I didn't see this thread before I ordered a
Companion today, I would have ordered two.

Hey Paul, how're you doing buddy? You're still
contributing to my delinquency you know?

Glad for the review, it's nice for a change to find
that I ordered something good, going in blind.

Thomas Zinn

Thomas, what did I do now? :D I can't help it that I have good taste.... If you did not leave us all for such a long time us young guys could gain from your experiences! :p

Paul,

Not sure you want to know the bad experiences,
Don't think you could stand all of the laughter.

I know I couldn't

Tom

I've been thinking of getting one of these however I have wondered if the swedge makes difficult to use a baton with it?

Anyone tried?

How did it work.

ben

Well, I have a non- knife knutt friend, actually one of my pastors who asked to borrow a knife the night before opening day of deer season here. I gave him my small sebenza without hesitation untill he informed me about the loss of his last knife in the woods.... well then I remembered the companion in my trunk and offered him a choice and he went for the Greco.... I was concerned with the thick blade and all. I went to service wedsday and he was ecstatic and wanted to know how much I wanted for it because he used the companion to not only dress the deer but the guys who took him hunting actually used it to process the deers they harvested because it worked better than any of the knives thay had including the kitchen knives. I know not much of a review but it must be ok for him to be so happy and the experienced hunters so impressed :D

Since this thread is back I can say that I got one and that I LOVE it.

It is probably my favorite fixed blade, and with the Becker Campanion on the list that is saying quite a bit.

--Ben

Back