Green Thumbs

Are raccoons open to... eliminate as a pest?
I could as I'm in the county, not city limits..... but my neighbors would be angry. they've been feeding them and making them dangerous.

so did work on the sugar cane crop the raccoons pulled over. one was good so I chewed on it. couple are over but still alive....

turned some into seed for next year....

20231008_181707.jpg20231008_181905.jpg20231008_182929.jpg20231008_182938.jpg

Maybe all the more reason to?
true, but......these folks are the kind that would start a Facebook page about me as a raccoon mass murder and picket my place and try to make my life miserable.....

most ain't florida boys and girls...they went after a man for feeding feral cats and bear showed up and attacked him and fwc put the bear down, and they called him a bear murderer and ran him out of the area. not kidding......

I'll let county animal control deal with them once they bite one of these fools, feeding them and taking selfie with them.

jbmonkey jbmonkey Wow I never thought about pineapple being an option here. I’ll have to do some looking into that, maybe even a small greenhouse!
It’s definitely been a rough couple of years for growing sugarcane between the severe freeze and the severe drought there are enough problems to deal with before we have to start fighting off 4 legged critters.

jbmonkey jbmonkey Wow I never thought about pineapple being an option here. I’ll have to do some looking into that, maybe even a small greenhouse!
It’s definitely been a rough couple of years for growing sugarcane between the severe freeze and the severe drought there are enough problems to deal with before we have to start fighting off 4 legged critters.
think pineapples would grow well where ya are...youre near Mississippi river or the delta ain't ya?

yes Sir. rough year of super hot and dry here as well and last winter couple cold snaps. I do it for fun so if I lose it all.....I wasted water and time at most. you're a farmer ain't ya? whole different deal, it's a serious business.

Sarcasm doesn’t translate well in the absence of emojis. I don’t know if this is actually a good harvest that I’m supposed to like the post or a small harvest that I’m supposed to hit the sad face on…

Sarcasm doesn’t translate well in the absence of emojis. I don’t know if this is actually a good harvest that I’m supposed to like the post or a small harvest that I’m supposed to hit the sad face on…
as peppers are typically very hot don't need a lot to have a lot..I'm thinking a plant or two and crop was good....but I could be wrong.....

It is sarcasm as these plants are supposed to have dozens of chiles over the growing season. You may now change your reaction to the laughing emoji.

That said, I'm pretty excited to have the three little chiles with several more on the way. I'm trying to cherish the little things.

It is sarcasm as these plants are supposed to have dozens of chiles over the growing season. You may now change your reaction to the laughing emoji.

That said, I'm pretty excited to have the three little chiles with several more on the way. I'm trying to cherish the little things.
i got that one, way wrong.

I used to grow scotch bonnets. had 2 plants and got far too many. couldnt use them all and couldnt give enough away. I would be happy with a handful of them a season as I used them for chili and only needed one pepper for that. haven't grown those in years as just got too many.

Last edited:
Here’s my next to last of the pineapples. I had 14 total fruits from around 40 plants. Mine are all in buckets since we get several frosts and 2-3 freezing nights in our “winter!” I move them in the barn in December and back out in March or so.

View attachment 2391793
nice. I grow them too. mine all were ready about end of summer. I lost a handful to bears this year. I'm further south than you.....so mine are all in the ground.

nice. I grow them too. mine all were ready about end of summer. I lost a handful to bears this year. I'm further south than you.....so mine are all in the ground.
Mine usually come in about the middle to end of August. These two were late bloomers for some reason. This was the first year that I lost some to an animal. Could have been a raccoon or opossum (definitely nocturnal) that ate half of one pineapple that was still mostly green. Didn’t come back any more, so must not have liked the sour taste!
I did let another fruit stay on the plant too long and some ants started to devour the sweet fruit. Oh well, giving back I guess!

Back