Recommendation? Grimsmo Norseman Detent WAY Too Strong

I recently purchased a Grimsmo Norseman in BRAND NEW condition. I have been wanting this knife forever and was so excited to receive it. However, I was very disappointed when I did get my hands on it because it is so painful to flip. It has the drop shot closing action which is great, but the detent is so ridiculously strong when closed that it is not a pleasure to flip at all. Flipping this knife is painful, and I can't imagine EDCing this knife as it sits which is why I purchased it. I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with this.

1) Is this normal?
2) Does it have a break in period?
3) Is something wrong with my knife?

Please help me! I contacted John via Instagram but did not get a response. I can't imagine with all the reviews out there no one would mention this if it was a thing.

I'm not too familiar with the Norseman, but all detents will have the edge of the hole wear over time from the ball breaking free, providing easier flipping. You said it was brand new, so my guess would be it will break in.

Take your finger off the lockbar when flipping it. That happens alot on this model iirc. Else contact grimsmo. They can get it fixed for you

I think they made newer versions that may be adjustable? I forget through.

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to handle one in couple years and IIRC they have modified their detent since but I know that they did not have a very strong detent probably a medium strength to it. I would as Mo2 Mo2 says make sure you aren't pressing on the lockbar while opening and perhaps reach out to Grimsmo if that is not the problem.

and, if you aren't riding the lock bar, as Mo2 Mo2 pointed out, if it's new, I'd contact the maker. That isn't a cheap knife by any means.

I'm not too familiar with the Norseman, but all detents will have the edge of the hole wear over time from the ball breaking free, providing easier flipping. You said it was brand new, so my guess would be it will break in.
Okay, that's what I'm hoping it is but I didn't expect a knife this expensive to have to be broken in.

Okay, that's what I'm hoping it is but I didn't expect a knife this expensive to have to be broken in.
If you feel it's not right, keep trying to get in contact with John. IME all knives break in, but I've never had a Norseman.

Take your finger off the lockbar when flipping it. That happens alot on this model iirc. Else contact grimsmo. They can get it fixed for you

I think they made newer versions that may be adjustable? I forget through.

I'm not doing that, I've made that mistake with other knives many times and I made sure wasn't applying any pressure to the lock bar. Also, the detent is not adjustable to my knowledge anyway. I took the knife apart and cleaned it, even though it didn't need it, and I did not see any way to adjust it.

and, if you aren't riding the lock bar, as Mo2 Mo2 pointed out, if it's new, I'd contact the maker. That isn't a cheap knife by any means.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to do originally but if the Grimsmo knives have a warranty I can't find it anywhere. Any decent knife that I have ever purchased has always come with some sort of warranty so I just expected a knife this expensive would have a warranty but it doesn't look like they do. There is no email, phone number, or anything in the way of support contact info. I reached out to the John Grimsmo via Instagram last night but he has not responded yet.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to do originally but if the Grimsmo knives have a warranty I can't find it anywhere. Any decent knife that I have ever purchased has always come with some sort of warranty so I just expected a knife this expensive would have a warranty but it doesn't look like they do. There is no email, phone number, or anything in the way of support contact info. I reached out to the John Grimsmo via Instagram last night but he has not responded yet.
They should warranty it.

Where did it come from?

What did the store that sold it to you say about the warranty and the condition of the knife when you received it?

You could try lowering the lockbar tension a lot of times that's all it needs

Could be either of these:
Pressing the lock bar unknowingly when flipping, causing excess tension
Inexperience with flipper knives or weak finger (not trying being rude, but if a flipper tab as smooth as the norsemans is “painful” to you this could definitely be a possibility)

What other flipper knives have you owned? It could be a defect but I find that highly unlikely due to how the detent/lockbar on the Norseman works. If the knife is falling shut like you say, then it has the proper lockbar tension. Which means the detent would be working like intended as the only thing that would effect it is the lockbar tension. The Norseman has a unique flat ceramic detent ball, more akin to a cylinder which leads to a crisp/ smooth detent with little variance. I’d say the detent is actually fairly light compared to other knives, just different due to the crispness.

I suggest flipping it for a week or so to build up your finger muscle and see how you like it. If you really think there’s an issue, send John an email. He sends multiple when you order the knife so I don’t see how you wouldn’t have it. He responds very quick and should help you.

Inexperience with flipper knives or weak finger (not trying being rude, but if a flipper tab as smooth as the norsemans is “painful” to you this could definitely be a possibility)

What other flipper knives have you owned? It could be a defect but I find that highly unlikely due to how the detent/lockbar on the Norseman works. If the knife is falling shut like you say, then it has the proper lockbar tension. Which means the detent would be working like intended as the only thing that would effect it is the lockbar tension. The Norseman has a unique flat ceramic detent ball, more akin to a cylinder which leads to a crisp/ smooth detent with little variance. I’d say the detent is actually fairly light compared to other knives, just different due to the crispness.

I suggest flipping it for a week or so to build up your finger muscle and see how you like it. If you really think there’s an issue, send John an email. He sends multiple when you order the knife so I don’t see how you wouldn’t have it. He responds very quick and should help you.

Lol if you have to build up your finger muscle to flip a knife than the problem is the knife and not the user.

You say you bought the knife in ‘brand new condition’. Where’d you buy it from??? Dealer??

Lol if you have to build up your finger muscle to flip a knife than the problem is the knife and not the user.

I think you missed the point of my post. Some people can’t open a Gatorade bottle, is that the fault of the bottle or is it the person? If the Norseman is working as intended it flips like a dream. However, if someone isn’t accustomed to flipping a larger knife, or any knife in general, I can see how some issues would arise. In this case all it would take is about a week of getting accustomed to it, your muscles will adapt.

Last edited:

^^what he said.
Also, not implying your trigger finger is ‘weak’ in any way, but it could be an issue of technique. Are you pre-loading your finger? Light switch or push button? I had a Norseman bought second hand that had a medium/light detent, but wouldn’t budge if pressed from an improper angle. Hope you get it worked out!

Back