Grinder Frame and Parts, Then What?

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
If I get grinder frame and parts, how much more money and time and knowledge would it take to have myself a good 2X72 grinder?

To give you some idea of my construction and mechanical skills, I took 8th Grade Wood Shop in 1977, and, more recently, I changed out the chain and adjusted the valves on my old motorcycle.

However, I don't know anything about "phases" for electric motors, and I don't have any 220V outlets available.

Thank you.

Andy

Last edited:
I don't think we are allowed to mention retailers here, but this grinder frame is "ready to go" from a major knife maker supply in the Upper Midwest, and if you knew which supplier I was talking about, and if you went to their Web site and searched "grinder," the very first result in the upper left of the first page of search results would be the item I am thinking of.
;)

Last edited:
You possibly DO have a 220 outlet- your oven or your dryer will be one. I ran my KMG with a 20 foot extension cord I made from Home supply stores gear- just get the amp rated cable from their electrical (pay by the foot) and add male/female ends. I used a hole drill to open the wall from my laundry room to my garage- run the cord when I was grinding and poof- a 220 outlet on a string!

I am NOT responsible for your interrogation from the lady of the house as to WHY the dryer/stove/window AC unit wont work... best of luck!

redsquid:
It is OK to mention suppliers and providers of things you want to know about. Just don't offer to sell or buy.

Allowed - "Is the ABC grinder from Midwest a good unit?'
Not allowed, "Anybody have a spare ABC grinder from Midwest that they would sell me?."

Building a grinder requires some mechanical abilities. You normally will need to be able to drill and tap holes at a minimum. The ability to do some light welding is good, but not required. You have to add to the basic frame a drive wheel, an idler wheel, and a contact wheel ( and/or a flat platen). Some of this may have come with your kit. Most kit suppliers sell the needed items.

Once the grinder is built, you need a motor. It can be a single phase motor between 1 and 2 HP, with a step pulley setup to change the belt speed .... or a 3 phase motor with a VFD to make it run at any speed. If you stay at 1.5HP or less, you can run it from a 120VAC socket. If you don't know what any of that means, get a friend who does to help you decide what you need and to hook it all up.

If most of the above is confusing to you, you would probably be far better off to save up a bit more and buy a turn-key unit. Many times, a fully ready to use unit only costs a couple hundred more than a kit build, when all the extras are added in.

Belts are a consumable that you will use up as you grind. Figure an initial order of about $100 in belts to get started. I buy them in big lots of a couple hundred dollars at a time, but most folks just replace the most used ones by buying 3-4 at a time.

Back