grinder that tilts?

I want to make my next grinder cabable of tilting 90 degrees so it goes vertically. I have seen it done a few times in the mags but do any of you have experience? The grinder I am building is for small wheels only.

Jens,

Check out the neat setup that knifekits.com has. It is a standard 1X 30" grinder with a special attachment and work table. Once mounted, it can be used vertical or horizontal with the special swivel hinge base plate. Drop Darrel Ralph a note for the details.

-Rob

Hi Folks,
Here is a link that may be of interest.
Dont want to be commercial so check it out if you wish.
http://ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7891

I hang mine over the bench top and let it rest on the side of the bench in the horz position for finishing up around the outside of the knife.
Then if you want to swing it up and on to the bench top you can use the grinder in the normal (vert) position.
The hor attachment and swing arm makes finishing around the outside of the knife a breeze!

Enjoy

Darrell
I would love to see a shop tour of your set ups posted on this forum so all us greenhorns can see what a pros set up looks like!:)I bet there are otheres that would love to see it also

Jens get hold of Rob Frink he will have everything you need. Excellant quality materials at good prices!

My machine is on a pedistal. It has been modified with a bladed swivel arangement to allow vertical tilt. I removed the bolts and replaced them with a bicycle front wheel quick release clamp. they are only a couple of dollars at the bicycle shop.

If you have a machine you may just want to bolt a swivel on the bottom
I can not post picture on this forum. Im not sure if I am not allowed or just not smart enough to work it out.

If you would like a sketch reg_ellery@optusnet.com.au
Im sure any of the other machine work well just giving you choice.

Darrell
That would be nice ,the grinder set up yeilds some merit
It will be one of the next toys I will look in to makeing
:)

Sure
A swing plate will work with a regular grinder.
The wheel sizes and work rest are the problem along with having to do just that , swing a big old grinder to the horz position.
The set up the we have makes take a inexpensive grinder and turns it into either a dedicated horz grinder, or you can swing it up and use it to sharpen ect..

I am actually debating to make it horizontal only. I have the Hardcore smallwheel atachment with 7 or so wheels and this is what I am going to use for it. The more I think about it the less I need to have it vertically. Only reason I can think of is that my current grinder is no good with contact wheel less than 6-7"( no room!)...I would not mind being able to use say 4" wheels so I might make the new one versatil enough to be able to use both setups. Thanks for all the advise!

Back