Grinding before twisting damascus?

Do I need to grind until I completely get rid of the little black lines between layers before I twist my damascus? I'm losing a lot of material doing this.

The twisting will be fine but any questionable welds will open up when you forge it after twisting.

Hoss

ps.. sell everything you don’t need and buy/build a forging press or a power hammer

Reactions: weo
Thanks! And hah, believe me I would but at this point the main thing standing in my way is a space of my own to work in on a regular basis. I can only get to my forge about two days a week for 4-5 hours at a time, so it isn’t worth the money to buy a press right now.

Thanks! And hah, believe me I would but at this point the main thing standing in my way is a space of my own to work in on a regular basis. I can only get to my forge about two days a week for 4-5 hours at a time, so it isn’t worth the money to buy a press right now.
All of your threads and posts talk about welding flaws and you have limited shop time, these seem like very good reasons to get a press.

Hoss

All of your threads and posts talk about welding flaws and you have limited shop time, these seem like very good reasons to get a press.

Hoss

...You know something, you're not wrong. Maybe I'll start saving up. I know CoalIron has those little 12-ton bench-top ones for pretty cheap now.

Back