grinding

looking for any good information on how to learn to grind my own blades. since i have never been able to watch anyone grinding a blade, i am having trouble grinding a good line, any help would be appreciated

Try taking a peice of 2 x 2 steel and clamping a peice of blade stock to it. Set the angle on your grinder to about 5-7 deg for small blades and putting the block up to the belt. It will give you an idea on how to make a blade fixture. To do the curve (tip)at the end just pull the fixture towards you on the opposite end . It will make life easy for ya . You can take it from here..

I grind edge up and scribe 2 lines in the center of the edge with a little tool I made and just grind up to those, not paying much attention to the sides of the blade till I get close. Works for me on both hollow and flat grinds.

What lines are you trying to grind? Profile? Plunge cut? Bevel? There are probably 100's of technical way to do these if you are a technician. The other way is to grab some steel draw your knife lines on it and go to the grinder and grind. I use a paint marker to do this from paterns I have developedl. I have been doing this for a few years and am still learning, but nothing teaches you better than doing.

I am also new to grinding and have done a couple of blades. I am noticeing it getting a little better but nowhere near the quality of the nicer knives out there. I too have never seen it done and only have read books. I am toying with the notion of picking up that attachment made by Lowell Snoddy, Reba Enterprises in Huntsville, AL. It is an atachment called HOLLOW GRINDING MADE EASY. Am I wasteing $$$$ and Time or is this device worth the $300.00 they want? Any help would be greatly appreceiated. Thanks in advance!

Nothin against the hollow grinding machine but I had one once . Made two blades on it. Threw it away. Try the fixture above . Its cheaper and it works..

Darrel, I have a copy of the Bader three that I bought at a show. It is nice but has no platen. I read your directions but I'm not quite sure what you meant. I think you are talking about using a platen aren't you. Thanks in advance.

Back