Grip Tape Suggestions

Hello, do you all have any recommendations for any sort of grip tape or wrap? I have had some success w liner’d electrical splicing tape, but its maybe too tacky. Any sort of sporting goods tape that works? Most knife handles are a bit small. Looking for something for this spartan harsey dagger to fill it out a bit.

Thanks

Last edited:
Talon Grips makes sheets of their grip tapes that you can cut to size. Good stuff, but you have to follow the instructions for best results.

Talon Grips makes sheets of their grip tapes that you can cut to size. Good stuff, but you have to follow the instructions for best results.
Is that like that faux suede stuff?

Yes, that is good stuff, had some on a glock, still do

I used to wrap handles with a strip of bicycle inner tube to increase size and grip. Tucking the end under a previous wrap is the tricky part.

o5UofMa.jpg

My favorite grippy athletic tape is "sports tape" brand hockey tape. I've used rolls of it, my best wrap so far has been on one of those "tough nylon" handles by American Tomahawk.

I want to mention "lizard skins" which are more expensive, but have a great rubbery tacky feel and come in a variety of colors and designs. They are peel-off-the-back tape style adhesive, not "gluey" like hockey tape, high quality but you don't get a whole roll, just enough for one baseball bat or whatever. I like the "lacrosse" ones and cut them to size as needed. Nice on a fixed blade, especially a big one =)

I prefer SELF FUSING neoprene or nylon tape. This stuff comes in multiple colors - aggressively adheres to itself - can be stretched to be a bit thinner if needed - provides excellent grip on handles. I like it on heavy swing knives like machetes or kuhkris, when doing field work. - BUT - MOST IMPORTANTLY - as it is a non adhesive tape, it can be removed at any time from your knife or other handle WITHOUT RESIDUE. There is no mess whatsoever and certainly no need for solvents. The stuff lasts a long time in service but can easily be renewed with new tape in no time.

I think this is the same stuff Microtech use. I'm not sure if this is the exact model, but Tony mentioned it was made by 3M, and this looks a lot like it. Looks like sandpaper, but it's actually rubbery and very grippy, doesn't chip/crumble and is very durable. If you've ever handled a Socom Elite you'll know what to expect.

I prefer SELF FUSING neoprene or nylon tape. This stuff comes in multiple colors - aggressively adheres to itself - can be stretched to be a bit thinner if needed - provides excellent grip on handles. I like it on heavy swing knives like machetes or kuhkris, when doing field work. - BUT - MOST IMPORTANTLY - as it is a non adhesive tape, it can be removed at any time from your knife or other handle WITHOUT RESIDUE. There is no mess whatsoever and certainly no need for solvents. The stuff lasts a long time in service but can easily be renewed with new tape in no time.
That stuff is good.

Okay, yes, I have used some thing like that to wrap up buried brass PEX fittings. That is an option alright. THey have rolls like in the video for like $7 bucks at Home Depot or whatever.

This stuff is probably less tacky than that electrician's mastic tape. Might be a good way to go. I will experiment w/ this a bit.

Last edited:

I think this is the same stuff Microtech use. I'm not sure if this is the exact model, but Tony mentioned it was made by 3M, and this looks a lot like it. Looks like sandpaper, but it's actually rubbery and very grippy, doesn't chip/crumble and is very durable. If you've ever handled a Socom Elite you'll know what to expect.
Okay, thanks so much, I ordered a 1" roll, 60 foot long, lol, so I will see how it seems and return it prime if it does not seem promising.
My favorite grippy athletic tape is "sports tape" brand hockey tape. I've used rolls of it, my best wrap so far has been on one of those "tough nylon" handles by American Tomahawk.

I want to mention "lizard skins" which are more expensive, but have a great rubbery tacky feel and come in a variety of colors and designs. They are peel-off-the-back tape style adhesive, not "gluey" like hockey tape, high quality but you don't get a whole roll, just enough for one baseball bat or whatever. I like the "lacrosse" ones and cut them to size as needed. Nice on a fixed blade, especially a big one =)
I will see how I like the 3m tape, but I looked at those lizard skins and might get some.

Shrink tubing is another option. It comes with or without glue inside.

Back