Gritalon Silicon Carbide and Aluminum Oxide stones review.

First thing I want to make clear this is the first part of the review and I'm just going to be giving information on the stones tonight and tomorrow or the next day I will be testing them on a Hindered XM-18 with S35VN blade steel.

The Silicon Carbide stones are supposed to be a bit harder and longer wearing then the Tsprof stones,when I got the stones I noticed that they were very nicely cut and made and very consistent with defect's from what I could see,the Silicon Carbide stones are Green in color and are available in 9 grit's many of witch over lap and are not needed but I got one of each because these stones are very cheap.

The Silicon Carbide stones are 25mm wide and the abrasive is 6mm thick.
I'm listing the grits in FEPA and Japanese grit rating Jis witch is what most of us on this forum understand.I'm listing the grits from sharpeningstones.ru that he has converted some of the grit's don't match up with a grit chart that I have but they are close.

Jis FEPA
120 120
240 220
280 240
400 320
800 400
1000 500
1200 600
2000 800
4000 1200

F6CYEK2.jpg

The Aluminum Oxide stones are narrower but are a bit thick then the Silicon Carbide stones and will most likely be a slower cutting stone.

The specs on them are 20mm wide and the abrasive is 7mm from what my digital calipers read.

Jis FEPA
240 220
400 320
800 400
1000 500
2000 800
4000 1000
6000 1500 this grit was not converted on their website so I listed what my chart said.

0MVksRn.jpg

I will be testing the both these stones very soon and will update this thread as soon as I can,if anyone has any questions in the mean time you post them and I will answer them if I can.

Use this link to look at their site and to find the Gritalon stones they are in the list on the far right side of their website.I have also ordered from this site 3 times now and I have not had any problems at all with the service or quality of their product's.

https://sharpeningstones.ru/

I just got done trying out the Gritalon stones I ordered and I must say I was very shocked and surprised at the result' I got using them and also how well they worked,I have to start by saying when I got these stones I would use them for cheaper knives that do not have hard and wear resistant steel blades and I was going to use them on cheaper kitchen knives that people bring me and I must likely will use them for that and people who want a polished edge as well.

I'm going to list the grits in the FEPA scale I used,I started using the 120 grit and it wears very slow releasing just a bit of grit so you are always getting fresh abrasive and it seemed to remove the metal fast from my XM-18's S35VN blade,I next moved to the 240 grit stone and it also was a slow wearing and slow at releasing it's abrasive but to slow just the right speed I would say an the same could be said for the 600 grit stone as well.

I next moved onto the 500 800 and 1200 they released their abrasive more like a Suehiro G8 stone and they also released their abrasive a bit faster but not at an extremely fast speed,the abrasive was more thick and creamy the way it was released and it should be noted as well that all 6 of the Silicon Carbide stones started to remove metal fairly quick without feeling like it was being ground off extremely aggressively it just felt like the metal was coming off fast and easy,the other thing's I noticed about these was they seemed to polish when they cut as well and they give a really nice polished edge without being stropped but stropping would improve the polish for sure but that being said these stones did not leave any scratch's in the blade and really seemed to give the edge a really nice polished look.

I also used the 1000 and 1500 Aluminum Oxide stones after the Silicon Carbide stone to see what they could do and I was very surprised at the result's,they do not make a creamy slurry like the Silicon Carbide stones but they do release abrasive and also I must say I was very surprised at a how fast these stones removed metal and how fast they turned black from the swarf and it did not take long at all I was really shocked at how fast they turned blacked witch told me they were removing metal very quickly and again without feeling super aggressive just at a nice fast consistent speed.

All I can say is stones this cheap normally do not work as good as these stones do and with the price being so cheap I was not sure what expect when I ordered them but figured I would take a chance on them as they are the house brand and figured sharpenstones.ru would not carry these stones as their house brand if they were total garbage,the only thing I know for sure is I'll be purchasing more of these stones for sure without question as these stones work as good as some water stones I have tried and these also seem to rival the Chosera stones as far as the polish goes and these stones may or may not get to the same level as the Chosera's but either way are still very close in my opinion and that's all I'm giving on that comment as I have not tried a side by side to see witch do better.

Also I will be keeping this thread going and as I have time I will be sharpening a Benchmade with M390 blade steel a Gayle Bradley 2 folder with M4 blade steel and a Spyderco PM2 or Military with S110v blade steel just to see what they can do against S110v I'm not holding out any high hopes for them to do a great job on the S110v but then again who knows until I try right.

I could not get my camera to cooperate with me so I could focus on the edge itself I think I need to try some extension so I can take better pictures in Macro mode.

Here is a picture of the grit that came off onto the blade when I was done using the 120 grit.

mvkipyK.jpg

This is a picture of the 500 grit witch is the same as a Jis 1200 grit stone.

BLRcRHr.jpg

This either the 240 or 320 grit notice how it is more just swarf and water onto top of the stone and no creamy slurry that happened more around the 500 grit I'm pretty sure.

qUrnSSG.jpg

The blacker stones are the Aluminum Oxide stones I noticed the Silicon Carbide stones seemed to keep the swarf mixed in with the slurry of grit,also for anyone new to sharpening does not know what swarf means it just means the metal filing's that come of the blade steel witch is different from the slurry of grit.

QbklWPG.jpg

can you compare them to the Boride T2 and CS-HD stones? Thanks for the review. I look forward to more from you. You are a true Stoner!

I have never used the T2 or CS-HD series stones,from what I had heard about them when I asked a few people verbally over the phone that had used them said they did not like how they wore,I don't know if it's true but from I had been told it's almost more like the abrasive scrapes off rather then releasing slowly but either way now that I found these stones they are just to good of a stone to pass up for the price and performance.

What I can tell you about the Gritalon Silicon Carbide stones is they do not wear to fast and you should get a lot of sharpening out of them,I do not regret buying them and I will purchase more in the future they seem to be a well made stone and perform very well,also at 450 rubles and less a peace I can't argue with the price either.

When you say I'm a true stoner that very well maybe true because when I ordered these stones I ordered on in every grit and Andrew tried to talk me out of it saying that I had to many grits that overlapped each but I told him I know that and said I will use them all some day.I do have a large number of stones to choose from that's for sure.

can you compare them to the Boride T2 and CS-HD stones? Thanks for the review. I look forward to more from you. You are a true Stoner!

I was to try out 2 Gritalon stones on M4 and the knife was a Gayle Bradley 2 a few days back,I stated off using my Metallic CBN stones because I wanted to reprofile the edge as it had never been sharpened it was a new knife and I used the 120 400 1000 4000 and the 8000 I find if you don't skip to many grits with these stones it's easier to polish the scratch's out and with the CBN it does not take long,I have to say that the 8000 grit CBN put a very sharp edge on the knife that I think most people would be very happy with I then used the 2000 and 4000 Gritalons to remove as many scratch's as I could, and they seemed to remove metal at a pretty good rate.

I know what your thinking why would go backwards in grit I was wanted to see how sharp the 8000 CBN would get the edge and just kept going threw all the grits,I then moved onto a Chosera 5000 8000 10000 and then a 20K Suehiro and got it really sharp I still have to strop it and I need to make up some new strops in the next few days and will strop and post pictures then,I sharpened the knife at 15 degree's per-side.

Awesome review man. Loved the pics. Those look to be way better than the stock EP 120 and 220. Those things are garbage... The others were good though. But these are also so thick! Love it! Can't wait to see some Metallic CBN pics in action!

Back