Gritty(?) Mini Tuff Lite?

Hi,

I just bought my very first Coldsteel with the triad lock, the Mini Tuff Lite.
The knife is perfect in any way, but the first few mm upon opening feel a bit gritty.
Is this normal with the lock because of the construction?
The pivot area is clean as a whistle.
I lubed it up a bit and worked it for a good while. It got a bit better but still far from smooth.

And I was curious how long the little spring of the back spring would hold up over time?

Furthermore I love the knife and don't regret the 46 euro's I spend.
Hope you can help me out on this.
Thanx much in advance :thumbup:

I've noticed that on a couple of Tri-Ad folders I have (Medium Espada and XL Talwar). They both have smoothed up a bit with use, though it hasn't totally gone away. I've never figured out exactly what's causing it, but it does happen on some Tri-Ads. I think the little coil spring in the Mini Tuff Lite should last for many thousands of cycles. I don't know how many times I've opened and closed mine over the last couple years, but it's been a lot (lol) with no issues. :thumbup:

My Mini Tuff Lite was nice with no grittiness. I wonder if it is in the pivot or is it the back spring dragging on the tang? Try pressing the front of the lock where it clicks into the blade as you open it slowly. Do you feel grittiness in your finger or a change in sound? Try slowly opening the knife in the normal way and try to determine if it is in the pivot. This matters so we can tell you the simple solution.

It will probably smooth out on its own, but let us know what you find.

My Mini Tuff Lite was nice with no grittiness. I wonder if it is in the pivot or is it the back spring dragging on the tang? Try pressing the front of the lock where it clicks into the blade as you open it slowly. Do you feel grittiness in your finger or a change in sound? Try slowly opening the knife in the normal way and try to determine if it is in the pivot. This matters so we can tell you the simple solution.

It will probably smooth out on its own, but let us know what you find.

When I do this the first half of the action feels gritty (half way up) and the rest of the action untill lock up is smooth.

I must say all my Triads have been perfect but one. As seems to happen with G.Scott H.'s Talwar, my Talwar XL Serrated Edge also has problems with the lock.
It took its time to wear in and lose stiffness, but it never got completely smooth. It still ends half-locked or stuck when engaging/disengaging pretty often.
Wonder if it's a common problem on certain models only?

When I do this the first half of the action feels gritty (half way up) and the rest of the action untill lock up is smooth.

When you say, "when I do this" I am assuming you mean pressing the front of the lock bar as you rotate the blade. If that is true then the polish is not smooth. A mild water based abrasive polish (water based can be washed out) put into the knife and worked back and forth a lot of times will polish it out. I use white tooth paste. If I need more grit I use whitening tooth paste, not gel. This is the slow way. It will also clean up the pivot. afterwards, flush well with water, then flush out the water with WD40, and lube with what you want to use. There are better polishing compounds but I am a cheap skate and this is an old timer's trick.

You can always take the knife apart and polish it yourself, lightly. A little goes a long way. But I think the past is better. The knife will smooth up as you use it anyway.

When you say, "when I do this" I am assuming you mean pressing the front of the lock bar as you rotate the blade. If that is true then the polish is not smooth. A mild water based abrasive polish (water based can be washed out) put into the knife and worked back and forth a lot of times will polish it out. I use white tooth paste. If I need more grit I use whitening tooth paste, not gel. This is the slow way. It will also clean up the pivot. afterwards, flush well with water, then flush out the water with WD40, and lube with what you want to use. There are better polishing compounds but I am a cheap skate and this is an old timer's trick.

You can always take the knife apart and polish it yourself, lightly. A little goes a long way. But I think the past is better. The knife will smooth up as you use it anyway.
Just did that( mild abrasive) before I read your post and it helped a bit.
Because the knife came rock solid without play I didn't check the screws at first but I thought that maybe the action would improve if I loosened the screws just a bit.
But what do you know, the two screws on the back weren't tightened AT ALL.
So I just did that and änd the pivot screw as well (just a little) and the action improved a good bit.
It's only just a bit gritty at the very bottom but I can live with that and I think it will improve over time.
Nice tight and solid action now and you can hear the lock engage with authority. Very loud "CLICK" :cool:
This is my very first triad lock and it seems to be a great deal more solid then your regular back lock.
Like it a lot so far ;)

I am glad that all worked out for you.

I bought a Mini Tuff Lite on a whim because they were priced about $15. I never used it. Then, I had to put some Gorilla Glue on a vase and also on the parquet floor. It bubbles up and when it dries it is like concrete. So, I got out that little MTL and shaved off the excess glue. I could not believe how well it worked. I have used it for all sorts of things, since. I have thought of buying a box full and giving them away as gifts this Christmas. Great little knife.

Back