Grivory and Ultramid

So 5 or 6 years ago, I got a BK9 as payment for a sheath job I did. Back then, the Beckers came with Grivory handles. I quite disliked how these felt in hand, so I immediately replaced them with Lacewood.

IMG-20190222-171719.jpg

It was a right-purty knife, and I used it extensively, but eventually traded it away as I wasn't using large knives as much.

Anywho, cut to today. Looking at the classic Beckers, and now they come with Ultramid handles. I know grivory, zytel, hylon etc.. are all slightly different forms of nylon thermoplastics, but is there a tactile difference with Ultramid? Does it feel any different from the older Grivory? Are the scales still 'hollow'? The stock scales, I found, definitely affected the point of balance; I much preferred the solid wood.

So, if I buy one of the larger models stock, will I still be disappointed in the included handles, or is it a foregone conclusion that I aught to replace the handles.

I could be wrong, but, I think it’s nearly the exact same scales.

So 5 or 6 years ago, I got a BK9 as payment for a sheath job I did. Back then, the Beckers came with Grivory handles. I quite disliked how these felt in hand, so I immediately replaced them with Lacewood.

IMG-20190222-171719.jpg

It was a right-purty knife, and I used it extensively, but eventually traded it away as I wasn't using large knives as much.

Anywho, cut to today. Looking at the classic Beckers, and now they come with Ultramid handles. I know grivory, zytel, hylon etc.. are all slightly different forms of nylon thermoplastics, but is there a tactile difference with Ultramid? Does it feel any different from the older Grivory? Are the scales still 'hollow'? The stock scales, I found, definitely affected the point of balance; I much preferred the solid wood.

So, if I buy one of the larger models stock, will I still be disappointed in the included handles, or is it a foregone conclusion that I aught to replace the handles.

Damn Pretty!

I even dislike the aftermarket ones. I have two versions I think idk? One set of the micarta ones look like wood grain with swirls.... I don't like them. I'm attempting to soak them in Danish oil finish in hopes of changing their texture. I'll let you know

IMG-20190222-171719.jpg

They feel the same and they are still hollow . If you didn't like em then you sill won't like em :D If you like wood stay with wood :thumbsup: we are all different in what we like and that's a good thing . I never had an issue with the feel of the stock plastic other than they are a little thin and made of plastic :D I like the Micarta they are little thicker and I sand them to my liking which is on the smooth side :thumbsup: If by chance you looking for a crazy glue grip I would recommend the VZs from KaBar and you can sand them to your liking :). I think wood scales look Beautiful and feel great I just don't think they are as durable as Micarta or G-10 or even the Plastic in the long run on a rough use knife ;)..... whew might of had to much TGIF o_O

Last edited:
They feel the same and they are still hollow . If you didn't like em then you sill won't like em :D If you like wood stay with wood :thumbsup: we are all different in what we like and that's a good thing . I never had an issue with the feel of the stock plastic other than they are a little thin and made of plastic :D I like the Micarta they are little thicker and I sand them to my liking which is on the smooth side :thumbsup: If by chance you looking for a crazy glue grip I would recommend the VZs from KaBar and you can sand them to your liking :). I think scales look Beautiful and feel great I just don't think it's as durable as Micarta or G-10 or even the Plastic in the long run on a beater knife ;)..... whew might of had to much TGIF o_O

Thanks Xr6.... I think I have the VZ scales. :/
I wonder why they looked different....with the swirls like wood. Their description says they are g10.

I also wanna try some wood ones, but I need to find another vendor for some actual micarta

Thanks Xr6.... I think I have the VZ scales. :/
I wonder why they looked different....with the swirls like wood. Their description says they are g10.

I also wanna try some wood ones, but I need to find another vendor for some actual micarta
Here's a pic of the VZ scales . They have an amazing grip . I sanded the checking down just a bit. I absolutely like these on the 5 :) I wish KaBar would make these in Black :D
IMG_1831.JPG
I have em on my 20 too. I smoothed these just a touch more :thumbsup:
IMG_3969.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the VZ scales . They have an amazing grip . I sanded the checking down just a bit. I absolutely like these on the 5 :) I wish KaBar would make these in Black :D
View attachment 1080302
I have em on my 20 too. I smoothed these just a touch more :thumbsup:
View attachment 1080307

are they checkered?
hmmm? I guess I don't have those.... But I have two distinct styles, and I don't remember which I got where

Yeah, same stuff. For my beaters I do the bicycle inner tube trick, which works really well. But I do like the micarta.

What kind of texture DO people like on their becker handles?

I wouldn’t mind something that feels a bit rubbery like on my BM Jungle Bolo. As far as I know, nobody has made anything like that.

Yeah, same stuff. For my beaters I do the bicycle inner tube trick, which works really well. But I do like the micarta.

I'm a tactile kind of guy... How it feels in my hand is Very important to me.
Wood always feels good.
I'll take some pics of my handles, especially since I'm not exactly sure what kind I have?
...but to make them feel good, it might sound funny, but I've been oiling them up.
(with Danish oil, and or Tung oil) (On micarta or g-10?) I thought they were both mircata, but the two sets have very distinctive patterns/not the same.

For the most part, wood. I do like a good micarta as well. I hate the feel of G10, delrin, etc...it just rubs me the wrong way. I get that it's super durable and not susceptible to rot, warping, temperature fluctuations etc...but it just feels...cheap..to me.

I prefer a smooth texture. The stock KaBar thickness on 1/4 steel is Perfect in my hand for size and every Becker I have for chopping with stock thickness Micarta have Liners. If I was a Butcher I would use G-10 Period :thumbsup: If I was to just use a knife for cutting I think wood would be nice.
IMG_0659.JPG

Of my collection, I think the best knives for butchery are the old Green River/Russell knives. Thin, flat ground. Made excellent work cutting venison steaks last year. The 62 is pretty excellent at that as well.

Of my collection, I think the best knives for butchery are the old Green River/Russell knives. Thin, flat ground. Made excellent work cutting venison steaks last year. The 62 is pretty excellent at that as well.
Yes sir , here's an ole Forgecraft that's close to what you have :D Great Blades! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
IMG_4036.JPG

The most common aftermarket micarta scales are linen—but I also like them made from canvas. Never tried the g-10; ultramid and grivory are, I believe “brand names” for more or less the same product—I can’t remember if there is a noticeable difference in tactile “feel” between the two, as I didn’t care for either.

Back