Grivory vs. Micarta

Okay. I have been following the threads on the new Micarta scales for the past month or so now, and have the following burning questions:
1) What's wrong with the Grivory?
2) Besides looking really cool, what's better about the Micarta? (Not that looking cool is not enough. :D)

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the Grivory, perfectly serviceable grips & tough to boot. Micarta....accessories sell, plain & simple.

The micarta gives enhanced grip in wet or sweat conditions.

The black plastic grips are very slick to me and I have changed out all of my BK&T kinives.

Regards,
FK

The grivory is slippery. I guess you could tape it. Micarta is better in every way except cost.

Thanks for all of the feedback. It sounds like with the price point that Becker knives are intended to fill that it is better to mass produce with the less costly Grivory and make the Micarta available as an accessory. Apparently I have not used my Becker knifes enough to work up a good sweat and slip around on it. I'll see what I can do about remedying that!

Just my experience out in the yard this morning -- but the Grivory handles did not seem slippery to me, I had the knife pretty well soaked to check it out. I haven't used micarta enough to be able to compare, they may be wonderful, but I'd hesitate to call the Grivory slippery.

I agree Shearwater. Never had a problem with the Grivory.

Of course, I work with hand tools everyday and have what my wife calls, "Man's hands".;)

But those Micarta slabs sure do look nice.

Back