Grohmann #3 ?

I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the Grohmann #3 Boat Knife and if so, what are you impressions.
I have one coming sometime next week and would like some comments from experienced users.

Thanks!:cool:

Hi Ron,

I have one that I bought a few years back. The knife is a very basic design, but is well finished, and fitted. The knife handled all camp chores extremely well(slicing rope, butchering, etc...). I really liked the fact that the handle is a bit larger than average, and affords a good grip. The Marlin spike is really top-notch. The only gripe I have is with sheath. While of nice design, and of good quality, the sheath is a bit too ridged. I found myself having to wrap my hand around the knives lanyard to help pull it from it's sheath. The sheath is a bit to tall in IMHO:) also.

HTH:D!!!

bob bowie;

Marlin spike, what marlin spike? The picture I have of the #3 Boat Knife does not show anykind of a marlin spike. Does it come with the sheath?
Are we talking about the same knife...the Grohmann, DH Russell design knives from Nova Scotia?

:confused: :confused:

:eek: Sorry My knife is the Yachtsman, which is the #3 Boat knife/sheath, just with a added pouch, and Marlin spike.

Muzzlepup
I,ve had a #3 Boat knife going on 3 years. It has never failed to do what I want it to do. I,ve field dressed, sliced, whittled and split with it. mine is stainless, and holds an edge great. I hear now that there is a flat ground model, but the sabre ground standard model still slices with the best of them.
The sheath will stretch in a bit, and loosten, I have added mole skin to the inside of mine to hold it a bit tighter..i,ve never had a security problem with the swininging sheath, in fact, I like it quite a lot. Easily carries in a # of conditions just by adding 550 cord to it.
If I could change it in aany way, I would add about 1/2" of blade to it. (its 4.25" long)

Thanks all for your info. I am looking forward to receiving mine sometime next week.:rolleyes:

I've had mine for about 3 years now.
Absolutely love it.
I must admit that I don't use it for what it's intended for.
I tried it in the kitchen one day, and it's become my absolute favorite kitchen knife (besides the 10" butcher). Occupies the last slot in the butcher block. It sharpens up nicely, holds an edge for quite a while, has a decent point for getting in between joints of chicken and opening packages, great belly for defatting meat, etc. Plus, it's one of the most comfy handles I've ever used. The only minor gripe is that the wood handle slabs don't match up perfectly with the tang. No big deal though. Just keep a little veggie oil on the wood once a year or so so it doesn't dry out and it's good to go.
All in all, it's probably the best knife purchase I've ever made; especially considering the price.
Lenny

Back