Ground Tangs - Yes or No?

Two of my recent knives from BUSSE, a BM and a SH both came with the tangs ground flush with the handle scales, to compensate for the fact that w/o doing so, many knives were shipping with the tang protruding higher than the scales, which on some (a BA I have) was noticable to the touch, and proposed the "potential" for a less than comfortable hand hold during hard use. I think having the scales flush is the better way to go, but it does raise a question or two I'm wondering about.

1) Does anyone know if this is a temporary fix, while BUSSE addresses the size mismatch between their scales and their tang size, or will this approach be used going forward?

2) Now that the weather is getting a bit cooler, I noticed a discernible difference in holding a fully coated tang, and one of these ground tangs. The ground tang was much colder to the touch than the fully coated knife. The crinkle coating used clearly has some insulting value over the bare metal. For combat soldiers in extreme winter conditions, I started to wonder if the bare metal might "stick" to the bare skin or be much more difficult to handle or use? In such conditions, one hopes to have a set of gloves, but both in survival and combat, you may have fewer provisions than ideal. Perhaps some of you folks in climates a bit more extreme than So California have some experience?

Hi :) Hmm, I just yanked out all my Busses and all of the tangs have a great fit and finish with the Micarta scales on the top & bottom. Every single shbm I have is 100% flush to scary degree of accuracy :) Was trying to get a visual for what you're mentioning.

Granted out of the current combat line I only have a BM & NO, and to that extent only one of each :)

Now on my current CG's the micarta isn't polished smooth and flat on the top & bottom, but I wouldn't want it that way either. To that end, this does give the micarta on my knives a good texture along the top and bottom edges. Are you sure its not just the texture giving that illusion of it being uneven? I'm honestly asking, just because all my knives feel fine, and thats all I can see to explain what your describing?

I got the feeling that the fit was a new problem, perhaps associated with either a batch of preground scales, or perhaps a dimensional change in precut blade blanks? Afterall, there must be a reason they are going through the labor intensive step of ginding and polishing the knife edge from the tip, all the way around the tang, stopping at the forward guard hole. My BM was ground and polished perfectly. Who ever did the SH wasn't quite as caring as there are small ripples here and there where the grinding wheel came on the metal. On the BM, where the grind stopped on the guard hole, it stops straight with a clean edge. On the SH it is sloppy and not at all precise. Even on a working knife, it's nice to see someone taking pride in their work. Anyway, I like the look and feel. I'm a little surprised that they use such a fine belt on the finish. Unlike the gind on the MS that I have, these have almost a polish to them, like a 600 or better grit. It looks nice, but if I were taking it into combat, I'd take some emery paper to it to dull it up. The edge is highly reflective as it comes.

Back