Gryphon sheath

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
just finished this up. Really focusing on getting my stitching to match up front to back and this sheath is one of my better efforts, despite the not great leather. Tried some new things, some worked out, others not so much. It's all still practice at this point but I feel like I'm getting there one sheath at a time

0EmyIm9.jpg

P9vS2XJ.jpg

us5iqjZ.jpg

JPOtzO9.jpg

2ucNiJ9.jpg

just finished this up. Really focusing on getting my stitching to match up front to back and this sheath is one of my better efforts, despite the not great leather. Tried some new things, some worked out, others not so much. It's all still practice at this point but I feel like I'm getting there one sheath at a time

0EmyIm9.jpg

P9vS2XJ.jpg

us5iqjZ.jpg

JPOtzO9.jpg

2ucNiJ9.jpg

Sweet!

Looking good !!!! Very nice job and I like the design

thanks very much!
still sooo much to learn

Nice job! Like how ya fitted the hilt to the sheath.

haha, thanks :)
after the sheath was wet molded to the knife and hardened up the welt was glued in and the stitch lines were drawn on to the welt. Then the rotary stitch spacer. A piece of plywood was hogged out to accommodate the protruding parts of the sheath and then the sheath was stapled to the plywood. With an even, flat surface behind it, I drilled through the welt with the drill press. The knife went back in there, and then the other side of the sheath was glued on. Removed from the plywood backing, and then held the sheath under the drill press, letting the holes already drilled through the welt and one face of the sheath guide the bit through the remaining side. It was a bit of a head scratcher, for sure. Makes a strong case for a sewing machine.

Back