GSM Outdoors statement about Secure-Ex Sheats

I completely agree with your sentiment. At least for now a lot of the popular models are still being made in Taiwan. As I had posted about a month ago, I ordered 3 Voyagers…2 of them have the new logo on them and I was a bit disappointed. But I soon realized that at least they were most likely being made in the same factory in Taiwan, so other than the logo, everything else appeared great quality-control wise. So my advice is get it while you can because I would not be surprised at all if manufacturing is sent to you-know-where. I was thinking how cool it would have been if several big name knife companies who we all know and respect would have pooled their resources and bought out CS…to keep it true to it’s core roots. But that’s history now. I’m pretty sure most of the new “old” stock (with original logo) are almost gone now (at least the bread and butter models that made CS’s reputation). Heck, if I had the money, I would have purchased 2 of every CS knife I own, one for using and the other as a collection piece. Don’t be surprised if 2-3 yrs from now hardly anything is available… at a reasonable price.
I have been buying multiples of CS products that I like for years now. I store the extras away and I'm running out of room. When I die, my wife will have to contact an auction house or spend the rest of her days listing on eBay.

I just wonder what weighs the more: the money that they save by making sheaths on this material for even the most expensive knives, or all the opportunities to sell knives that they lose because of the not so good reputation that, justified or not, is associated to these sheaths.

I just wonder what weighs the more: the money that they save by making sheaths on this material for even the most expensive knives, or all the opportunities to sell knives that they lose because of the not so good reputation that, justified or not, is associated to these sheaths.
I wonder how many average buyers even now about it and after purchase notice it.

I wonder how many average buyers even now about it and after purchase notice it.
true.

plus its not a widespread issue. as in every one or every other one. think I have maybe 20 +- or so cold steels with a secure ex.....3 suffer from the issues of poor fit and dulling. the rest are fine and if I only had those id think everyone complaining was crazy.......

I have two, soon three CS knives with secure ex sheaths. I have had zero problems with any of them.
if I did have a problem, I'd just make a new sheath.
The secure ex sheaths are much better than what most companies supply with their knives.

I have been buying multiples of CS products that I like for years now. I store the extras away and I'm running out of room. When I die, my wife will have to contact an auction house or spend the rest of her days listing on eBay.
Nice! Wish I had discovered CS yrs ago and done the same (at least 2 of each). If you happen to have some NIB Mini Recon 1’s that you just can’t stand having anymore, let me know, LOL!

Anyway I would like to have the option to be able to choose a leather or at least a cordura sheath.
You do.
And you have your choice of custom makers and colors and prices and lead times.
Or at no extra charge you can buy a mass produced product like most buyers.

Their shitty sheaths made me turn to ESEE, LionSteel and so on...

You do.
And you have your choice of custom makers and colors and prices and lead times.
Or at no extra charge you can buy a mass produced product like most buyers.
This is not frivolity. It is about not having to buy a separate sheath, after buying the knife. It is that this material notoriously dulls the knife, in many cases. In the past they used better materials, and prices were lower. I wonder if the gurkha kukri, for instance, will come with one of these sheaths at $764.99.

until you run into one...... none of the complaints make any sense. when you do run into one you'll get it. happened to me a few times and I got it.

the issue is the inconsistency. some work fine and no issues. I have many that are this way. others dont work at all and don't fit and hit the blade no matter how you try to do it.

I know it sounds insane, if ya got a good one.
Thank you for this simple explanation.
Something to consider before deciding to buy. I cannot think of a single Cold Steel product that I would want so much that I would be ok with buying a new sheath right off the bat. The manufacturer needs to stand behind their product and honor those who support them.

Well, if the knife I buy is going to be used on a regular basis, I tend to customize the sheath to fit my needs.
So if the original sheath isn't to my liking, I'll make or get one that works for me.

I don't buy the knife because of the sheath, I buy the knife because of the knife.

I agree with Wasty - I would buy a knife for the knife - if the sheath was 'meh' then I'd get a different one. Some knives, like those from a prominent semi-custom knife manufacturer on Blade Forums, don't even come with a sheath!

I agree with Wasty - I would buy a knife for the knife - if the sheath was 'meh' then I'd get a different one. Some knives, like those from a prominent semi-custom knife manufacturer on Blade Forums, don't even come with a sheath!
I would normally agree with you both, just not in the case of Cold Steel. A lot of stuff Cold Steel makes is "meh" to me and I buy their knives for the total value of the package. I like the 3 I have but would have been pretty bummed if I found out the sheath was garbage. I would not want to invest more just to use knives I like, but am not really excited about. I'm sure it factors in to the decision to buy for many of us.

I would normally agree with you both, just not in the case of Cold Steel. A lot of stuff Cold Steel makes is "meh" to me and I buy their knives for the total value of the package. I like the 3 I have but would have been pretty bummed if I found out the sheath was garbage. I would not want to invest more just to use knives I like, but am not really excited about. I'm sure it factors in to the decision to buy for many of us.
Fair enough!

Bloodloss Bloodloss : that is a good point. If you don't have the ways/means/time/nerve to get something different, I totally agree.

I have two fixed CS Knives: A GI-Tanto and a Drop Forged Survivalist.
Both are good tools, however, they are not as good as other knives I have, so they come out to play not as often - therefore the sheath is not of any concern to me.

Bloodloss Bloodloss : that is a good point. If you don't have the ways/means/time/nerve to get something different, I totally agree.

I have two fixed CS Knives: A GI-Tanto and a Drop Forged Survivalist.
Both are good tools, however, they are not as good as other knives I have, so they come out to play not as often - therefore the sheath is not of any concern to me.
I should mention, I have become more of an enthusiast over the last few years. I bought my Cold Steel products to learn, try out and see what I like, and if I decide not to use them myself, at least I would have a good useable knife to lend out or give without investing alot. I have a Pendleton mini hunter that I bought to use on deer, it was ok but smaller than I expected. It now rides piggyback on my SRK in SK-5 I bought for my go bag but now stays in my truck. Turned out to be a nice pair! I also have another SRK in a hand-out go bag and have bought one SRK for a friend. I have been happy with all my Cold Steel purchases so far.

I contacted the Customer Service of GSM Outdoors about the Secure-Ex sheats dulling the edge.

This is what I got as answer: "Hello,
Thank you for contacting GSM Outdoors.

We have started to use the Secure-Ex sheath that is strong and durable. This will give you years of hard service and keep your Master Tanto at your side. These are not designed to make any blade dull when pulling it in or out. These are designed to protect the blade for years of use.

If you have any further question or concerns, please email us."

The good news is they read and answer your mails. The bad news is they don't seem aware of this problem and will leave the Secure-ex sheats as they are.
IMPORTANT PSA: NEVER PUT YOUR KNIFE IN A COLD STEEL SHEATH!!! For my Master Tanto 3V, the weird retention is accomplished when the widest part of the blade enters the sheath and, by design, the spine and THE EDGE are pressed against the glass reinforced polymer thus dulling the edge. WHO TF THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!? Love the blade, design, grind, balance (courtesy of the guys forty years ago who apparently knew something). This "Secure-Ex" sheath is a crime against humanity.

IMPORTANT PSA: NEVER PUT YOUR KNIFE IN A COLD STEEL SHEATH!!! For my Master Tanto 3V, the weird retention is accomplished when the widest part of the blade enters the sheath and, by design, the spine and THE EDGE are pressed against the glass reinforced polymer thus dulling the edge. WHO TF THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!? Love the blade, design, grind, balance (courtesy of the guys forty years ago who apparently knew something). This "Secure-Ex" sheath is a crime against humanity.
I regret that I have but one upvote to give this post.

I contacted the Customer Service of GSM Outdoors about the Secure-Ex sheats dulling the edge.

This is what I got as answer: "Hello,
Thank you for contacting GSM Outdoors.

We have started to use the Secure-Ex sheath that is strong and durable. This will give you years of hard service and keep your Master Tanto at your side. These are not designed to make any blade dull when pulling it in or out. These are designed to protect the blade for years of use.

If you have any further question or concerns, please email us."

The good news is they read and answer your mails. The bad news is they don't seem aware of this problem and will leave the Secure-ex sheats as they are.
Typical corporate horse shizzle. Expecting an honest answer is about as likely as expecting not to get a big lump on your forehead from bashing your head into a wall 100 times.

Back