1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Gso 10 ergonomics

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by BrandonEDC, Sep 29, 2014.

1. BrandonEDC

BrandonEDC

Aug 12, 2014
    I have medium hands and have heard horrible things about the grips on the 10 any input would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  2. 1Hiker2

1Hiker2 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Get bigger hands!

3. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    I've got medium sized hands, and have no problems holding onto my GSO 10. I'm curious what you've heard?

4. BrandonEDC

BrandonEDC

Aug 12, 2014
    People do not like the finger grooves.

5. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    My hand dimensions are 3.5" wide at the palm, 7" vertical.

I'm used to working with bigger knives albiet thinner kitchen knives, so I tend to "pinch" up on the top of the blade by the ricaso more per my style. The handles fit for a few traditional hand positions, but I could see how for hand shapes/sizes might be a little awkward for certain grips. It's the thickest knife I own other than th GSO 6, so I can see how smaller hands might have a learning curve. Although if the handle really ever bothered me, I'd just modify it :thumbup:

6. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    ^ Well typed there :thumbup:

To the OP, if you haven't read my review or seen my videos, I address the finger-grooves to give my opinion. Here are links (video comments include discussion of the finger grooves):
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...nitial-review-with-photos-(warning-pic-heavy)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ID9tgSQjvU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNyRf8jgdvU

A couple users have ground off the indexing 'humps' but I've come to appreciate mine. I too have medium-size hands and have no problem with the design, although I did follow recommendations and add my own rubber liners beneath the scales, what an improvement that is for me! Anyway, imho nothing horrible at all about the GSO-10 ergos, better than a lot of choppers out there, that's my $0.02. Liner pics below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Circle10

Circle10 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2011
    Nothing horrible about the grips on the GSO 10 at all but as chiral.grolim said, I too prefer the handles slightly thicker. I have no problem with the finger grooves and as with the Bark River Canadian Special, don't even notice them. I think they actually help get a better grip if you wear gloves.

[​IMG]

8. Rasco

Rasco

Jan 3, 2014
    I traded my GSO-10 purely because of the handle ergos. Really looking forward to a GSO-10.1 in the future.

But handle ergos are pretty important to me. It's like having a really nice pair of boots, made from some of the best materials around, but they don't fit your feet properly :( What's the point??

9. OBX351

OBX351 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2014
    I really like the handles on my 10 and I have an odd shaped hand, wide palms and short fingers. But the handles work for me for chopping and doing finer work with the choil. The good thing is that if you do find one and don't like it you can easily sell it again for what you paid for it.

10. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    End up trying the liner mod before trading?

11. Rasco

Rasco

Jan 3, 2014
    Nope, I didn't wanna hassle with that. Plus, I don't think it was just the width that was the issue.