GSO 7/7-share your thoughts and experience!

I'm seriously considering going for a starter 7/7, I'm just waiting to see those solidworks renderings. I also hesitate a little because I'm trying to move away from choils. I started typing a response to Riz in the GSO 8 thread when the 7/7 was mentioned, but thought I'd start a thread of my own.

Where is the balance point on the 7/7? Is it right at the choil or farther onto the blade?

The 7/7 would be my big knife on most outings and it would be combined with a 4.1. How did this blade perform for you in big jobs? I'm sure it would baton well and even though it was not designed as a chopper I'm guessing it would do a decent job and definitely out perform a 5.1 for this one task. Am I right?

At this point I don't feel the need for something as big as a 10 and I'd like something in my hands sooner than the unreleased 8.

If you have used a 7/7 let me know what you thought of it!

Performs very well. From batoning to basic fine work. With the choil it's a "do all" for my needs. No need for the 4.1 when I carry... Just bring a pocket folder for kitchen work.
Balance point is right at the top 1/16" of the scales and into the bottom of the choil.

I recently picked up a 7/7 and I haven't had a chance to get out and put it to use yet. So just from a "handling only" perspective I feel like I really like it. Like you, I don't really have a use for a much bigger blade like the GSO 10 or 12, no matter how much I want one I just can't justify pulling the trigger. The GSO 5.1 is my go to blade, however there's been times where I felt like I wanted something slightly bigger, majority of these times were when batoning and doing light chopping to delimb. The 7/7 is more front heavy, the balance point being right in front of the handle versus right behind the front of the handle on the 5.1, so I think it will be a much better chopper. It feels really nice in the hand, dare I say I like how it feels better then the 5.1 :eek:

However, final verdict on it will have to wait until I can get out and beat it around a bit. I like to hike with the knives on my belt so I'm hoping the extra size doesn't make it too cumbersome to walk around with. We shall see.

Thank you both for the thoughtful input.

Rivereunner, you earned bonus points for the pic.

Poromenos, I'll look forward to more thoughts when you get some play time with that 7/7. What color is yours?

All input is still welcome!

The 7/7 would be my big knife on most outings and it would be combined with a 4.1.

Each to their own, but I really don't understand why you would want to pair a 6-7" blade with a 4" blade. With the 7/7, I would take along a lightweight, thin-bladed knife - when Spyderco bring out their s110v lightweight native, that will make a perfect complement. Conversely, if I were already carrying the 4.1, I'd only bring another blade if in need of a big chopper - it should go well with the GSO 12 or an axe.

Well you know my thoughts... I am curious what your response to my opinion is. And I must say that each person has different preferences. Many may disagree with my opinion.

To echo Brummie
I don't feel the need for another hard use fixed blade when rolling with the 7/7....This is the trio I will use if it's a 7/7 outing.

If I'm running the 4.1 ... I'll work with this configuration...

Last edited:
"I had a 7/7 from the original preorder. It was a sweet blade, but I like the 5.1 better. The balance on the 7/7 felt too tip forward. The 5.1 was perfect for me. I felt that the extra inch of blade wasnt worth the trade off when it came to the perfect balance of the 5.1. When you choke up on the 5.1 with the choil it become very light in the blade and you have exact control for fine notching and feather sticking. I felt like the 7/7 was better suited to a mixed use fighter/survival knife due to that little extra length. It came down to this for me. The 7/7 had no advantage over the 5.1. The 5.1 handled better and carried easier. Just my personal preference. That said... I may order a 7/7 again, because I regretted selling it. On my 1-10 rating scale of my if I could only have 1 knife, the 5.1 is a 10 and the 7/7 was a 9." -Riz, copied from GSO 8 thread

Riz, I pulled your post from the other thread to get that good information in here. The way you describe the 5.1 is very similar to why I like my ESEE 6. The balance is good and really makes it feel lighter and easy to wield. Especially if you're only carrying one knife this makes total sense.

Riverrunner and Brummie:
1. I want to keep thinking that the new version of the 7/7 will be longer than it is. I want to keep thinking that 4.1 + 7/7 will be similar to my beloved Becker bk16 + bk9 situation. Thanks for the reality check =)
2. I never take an absolutely functional amount of steel with me into the woods, I usually take more toys than necessary.

Riverrunner, nice looking pics, the colors are vibrant. Those are 2 examples of very functional tool load outs.

I may be rethinking what will be most usable on my treks, but I'm still interested in thoughts on and use of the 7/7.

Ironically... The ESEE 6 was the knife I liked most before the 5.1. I swear to the good lord, I always said "man, if only this ESEE was uncoated and made of 3V, with some drop to the point. It would be my perfect knife". Then along came Survive! and the 5.1. It was like someone read my mind and upgraded the ESEE to exactly what I imagined.

I recently picked up a 7/7 and I haven't had a chance to get out and put it to use yet. So just from a "handling only" perspective I feel like I really like it. Like you, I don't really have a use for a much bigger blade like the GSO 10 or 12, no matter how much I want one I just can't justify pulling the trigger. The GSO 5.1 is my go to blade, however there's been times where I felt like I wanted something slightly bigger, majority of these times were when batoning and doing light chopping to delimb. The 7/7 is more front heavy, the balance point being right in front of the handle versus right behind the front of the handle on the 5.1, so I think it will be a much better chopper. It feels really nice in the hand, dare I say I like how it feels better then the 5.1 :eek:

However, final verdict on it will have to wait until I can get out and beat it around a bit. I like to hike with the knives on my belt so I'm hoping the extra size doesn't make it too cumbersome to walk around with. We shall see.

So I had an opportunity to get out for a few hours the other week, if not for the sole purpose of testing out my 7/7. I used to it to baton a bit, make some wood shavings and some feather sticks. Didn't do any chopping though. Mirroring some of the things previous posters have said, and compared to the 5.1, I found it to be a little awkward when it came to finer tasks such as making shavings and feather sticks and notches. It was a pleasure to baton with due to its length of course, but even the choil couldn't make up for its size when choking up. Might be a better knife for someoene with larger hands (I wear medium size gloves). Anyway, that was just my experience with it and some of my thoughts.

Back