Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

49124295907_e81e06df6a_h.jpg

Two Sheffield lads! Cool pic Kevin :cool: :thumbsup:

While our US Guardians are celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow, I'm afraid it'll just be another Thursday here in Yorkshire, but I'll be off down to see my pals on the market, for the morning at least, and then going out for something to eat in the evening. I'm just about to start getting my stuff together for tomorrow, so I'll take this opportunity to wish all my US friends a very Happy Thanksgiving, I hope that you and your families have an absolutely fantastic time. Thanks to you all for your friendship :thumbsup:

I0ys4FV.jpg

The Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambsfoot

Friends, a very special visitor has arrived! The tracking info that Ron Half/Stop Half/Stop had kindly sent me indicated that Linus would arrive on Friday. But, early this morning, it was showing that it had left San Francisco on its way to my local Post Office. Sure enough, he arrived today. What a pleasant surprise to be able to host him for Thanksgiving.

Here he is with his nicely broken-in example of Dylan @Pàdruig's leather craft and a postcard from Ron's town:

PVPkq8nh.jpg

As is proper, he was greeted by the most senior member of my Lambsfoot Flock, who had also done the honors of releasing him from his mailing box:

GFB1Wmeh.jpg

They are getting along swimmingly. In fact, they insisted that we enjoy a beer together to celebrate Linus' safe arrival and to raise a toast to Dylan for starting this adventure and to Ron for ensuring that his travels were speedy and comfortable. Celebration seemed an apt choice:

MU9XSOTh.jpg

Cheers, Gentlemen!

Stay tuned for my adventures with Linus. I hope that my fellow Guardians in the U.S. have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow and that everyone has a great rest of their week and a relaxing and refreshing weekend ahead.

Last edited:
Friends, a very special visitor has arrived! The tracking info that Ron Half/Stop Half/Stop had kindly sent me indicated that Linus would arrive on Friday. But, early this morning, it was showing that it had left San Francisco on its way to my local Post Office. Sure enough, he arrived today. What a pleasant surprise to be able to host him for Thanksgiving.

Here he is with his nicely broken-in example of Dylan @Pàdruig leather craft and a postcard from Ron's town:

PVPkq8nh.jpg

As is proper, he was greeted by the most senior member of my Lambsfoot Flock, who had also done the honors of releasing him from his mailing box:

GFB1Wmeh.jpg

They are getting along swimmingly. In fact, they insisted that we enjoy a beer together to celebrate Linus' safe arrival and to raise a toast to Dylan for starting this adventure and to Ron for ensuring that his travels were speedy and comfortable. Celebration seemed an apt choice:

MU9XSOTh.jpg

Cheers, Gentlemen!

Stay tuned for my adventures with Linus. I hope that my fellow Guardians in the U.S. have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow and that everyone has a great rest of their week and a relaxing and refreshing weekend ahead.
To Linus and Lancashire...Cheers!
1JsVCTD.jpg

Here he is with his nicely broken-in example of Dylan @Pàdruig's leather craft and a postcard from Ron's town:

PVPkq8nh.jpg

GFB1Wmeh.jpg

MU9XSOTh.jpg

Cheers, Gentlemen!

Greg, what a great first post with Linus. He made the trip across the US in record time. Kudos to the fine men and women of the USPS! Really looking forward to seeing more of the adventures. Hope you have a great holiday. :)

PVPkq8nh.jpg

GFB1Wmeh.jpg

MU9XSOTh.jpg

Cheers, Gentlemen!

A great start... Let the fun begin. :):thumbsup:

So that's what black puddings are good for! :D

Well. We also do this with them...:D

Well, it's after midnight "over there," so Happy Lancashire Day, Guardians!
8hVNYk5.jpg

My four lambsfoots with a recent visitor, Linus.

I don't have English fare to celebrate with, but I'll have a Whataburger with "chips" for lunch tomorrow, and will toast with some scotch (it's British, anyway!) in the evening.

Good morning Jack and fellow Guardians.

Happy Lancashire day! Hope it's a fun and safe one for all.:thumbsup:

HBUUk4a.jpg

donn donn - A happy Lancashire Day to you David. Looking forward to your post.

Jack Black Jack Black - The Eccles Cakes and Chip Butty Images are mouth watering, Jack. Sorry to hear of @zolthar passing. Hope the rain lets up in your neck of the wood. At this point in time, I tend to avoid crowds like the plague.

Good Morning Guardians. Wishing you all a safe and happy Holiday.

Happiness is...
View attachment 1239936

Thank you ladies and gentlemen! It looks like you enjoyed Lancashire Day more than I. Sorry I didn't post yesterday; unfortunately I was out all day helping my mum with stuff. Then home, a quick tea of Lancashire cheese on toast and an Eccles cake washed down with a couple of Lancaster ales, then I went to bed. :D
4yuzVbn.jpg

Definitely not David! :eek: :D Yikes! :eek: Hope they've left you enough for a few pints and a pie tomorrow my friend :) After the dress-rehearsal, I hope you have a great Lancashire Day ;) :thumbsup:

tPM87KI.jpg

Morning Guardians, on the wrong side of the Pennines, folk will already be celebrating Lancashire Day!

image.jpg

Have a good one donn donn , looking forward to seeing what you get up to my friend ;) So far, my celebrations have been limited to texting greetings to my mate's Boltonian missus, and a trip to the Jam Butty Mines for breakfast, but I'm there with you in spirit mate! ;) :thumbsup:

r0Ie65Z.jpg

While considerably smaller than Yorkshire, the neighbouring English county of Lancashire, stretches all the way from its Eastern border with Yorkshire all the way to the Irish Sea (they've actually lost a few bits since this map, a facsimile copy of which I was gifted by donn donn , was drawn).

speedbw.gif

Consequently, like the West Coast of Ireland, it gets a lot of rain, and Lancaster is the wettest city in England (though there's some very wet places in Yorkshire this year too :eek:). Bearing that in mind, one might think that some bright spark might have picked a day in July for Lancashire Day, rather than the end of November. That, however, would be to deny the phlegmatic 'true grit' spirit of the Northern counties, why go for the chance of a sunny day, when you are practically guaranteed rain, wind, cold, or worse, and you can just roll up your shirt sleeves and insist that it is fine, and only 'Southern Jessies' would think otherwise.

It's bouncing with rain in Leeds today, but since it's been like that throughout the Autumn, more or less, that can't really be blamed on Lancashire (I suppose ;)). Despite rather fancying a bowl of soup, I felt duty-bound to head down to Leeds market for a chip butty ;) I did enjoy it though :thumbsup:

9MqBBBk.jpg

I rather fancied a cup of tea afterwards, and after picking up some Eccles cakes, I thought I might head home for one. However, I was unable to find any Lancashire-brewed ale in either of the supermarkets I visited, so I thought I'd better go and get a pint instead. I could only think of one bar that regularly sells beers from across the hill, and there I managed to get a pint of the unpretentiously-named 'Pint', brewed by Manchester's Marbles brewery, whose beers I am rather fond of.

vDXx8B7.jpg

Now back at home with my haul of Eccles cakes, I'm just tucking into one, and having a brew (a cup of tea) :) Happy Lancashire Day donn donn :thumbsup:

UOdbZKi.jpg

Q39zuUE.jpg

Crikey Jack, good effort!:D:thumbsup: It looks like you celebrated Lancashire Day with more gusto than I, or most other Lancastrian's celebrate it! You certainly celebrated with more Eccles cakes than I did! :D
Lancashire Day is in the middle of autumn as whoever chose Lancashire Day (in 1996) decided it should fall on the day when, in 1295, Lancashire sent representatives to the Parliament of Edward I.
Personally I'd of put it on the first day after New Year when the sun is first seen in Lancaster. Usually, that's sometime around the end of May....:D

Everyone, Jack is right about our climate. The north of England, regardless of which side of the Pennines your sat, has never been regarded as being particularly sunny. But the Lake District National Park, just across the border in Cumbria (but once part of Lanashire) has the highest rainfall in England. It's the reason Lancashire became the centre for the Industrial Revolution in Britain, as all that rainfall could be used to drive water powered mills prior to the introduction of steam.
Lancashire used to be a lot bigger than what it is now. In 1974 the government changed the administrative county boundaries and created new counties. Lancashire lost almost half of it's surface area to the creation of the made-up counties of Merseyside and Greater Manchester. Also the county boundary of Cumbria was moved south.
Jack I'm sorry to hear you can't find any Lancastrian ales tu'ver side of them 'ills. We have Yorkshire beers over here, and I've got to say the choice of Lancashire ales has increased considerably over the last 10 years. If ever you make it into Manchester you should walk out the city centre to the Marble Arch pub, home to Marble Brewery. It's a nice historic pub. :thumbsup:

Would it be okay to post pics of Yorkshire knives on Lancashire Day?

Well as us lazy Lancastrian's never got a cutlery industry started you certainly couldn't post a picture of a Lancashire knife. :D

Oh that's hilarious! :D I've got to send that to my Yorkshire mates.:thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians.

I thought it only appropriate to bring out the old, pocket-worn, stag, Harrison Bros & Howson Lambfoot for Thanksgiving Eve Day and Thanksgiving Day.

WQgx5CJ.jpg

lYkrsMP.jpg

That's a great looking lambsfoot Ed; never tire of seeing that. :thumbsup:

Well a Happy Thanksgiving Day to all our American friends. :thumbsup: I hope you all completely overdo it! :D:thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians !
All the recent talk among guardians about winter , ice and "s*&#" :) got me thinking ... I dawned on me that there was a time I loved winter actually :D.
I dusted off my hard drive of memories and found proof that seems confirm this :eek:
(the wipe out on the ice did not hurt either :D )

Knife content:
Since the "s*&#" has given us a temporary reprieve for now, I decided to post a pic of and " Iced Lambsfoot" :D

JBn9nGy.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to our US Guardians :)

PVPkq8nh.jpg

GFB1Wmeh.jpg

MU9XSOTh.jpg

Cheers, Gentlemen!

That's cool Linus arrived in time for Thanksgiving Greg, fantastic post :) :thumbsup:

Greetings fellow Guardians! Good wishes to you all. :) Special holiday wishes to my fellow US Guardians. :thumbsup: Riding solo in my pocket today. :D

48682571721_b84360c234_o_d.jpg

Such great jigging :cool: :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians.

Happy Thanksgiving!

TyzQyNe.jpg

Fab pic of your Ironwood '19 Mark :) :thumbsup:

Well. We also do this with them...:D

Thank you ladies and gentlemen! It looks like you enjoyed Lancashire Day more than I. Sorry I didn't post yesterday; unfortunately I was out all day helping my mum with stuff. Then home, a quick tea of Lancashire cheese on toast and an Eccles cake washed down with a couple of Lancaster ales, then I went to bed. :D
4yuzVbn.jpg

Crikey Jack, good effort!:D:thumbsup: It looks like you celebrated Lancashire Day with more gusto than I, or most other Lancastrian's celebrate it! You certainly celebrated with more Eccles cakes than I did! :D
Lancashire Day is in the middle of autumn as whoever chose Lancashire Day (in 1996) decided it should fall on the day when, in 1295, Lancashire sent representatives to the Parliament of Edward I.
Personally I'd of put it on the first day after New Year when the sun is first seen in Lancaster. Usually, that's sometime around the end of May....:D

Everyone, Jack is right about our climate. The north of England, regardless of which side of the Pennines your sat, has never been regarded as being particularly sunny. But the Lake District National Park, just across the border in Cumbria (but once part of Lanashire) has the highest rainfall in England. It's the reason Lancashire became the centre for the Industrial Revolution in Britain, as all that rainfall could be used to drive water powered mills prior to the introduction of steam.
Lancashire used to be a lot bigger than what it is now. In 1974 the government changed the administrative county boundaries and created new counties. Lancashire lost almost half of it's surface area to the creation of the made-up counties of Merseyside and Greater Manchester. Also the county boundary of Cumbria was moved south.
Jack I'm sorry to hear you can't find any Lancastrian ales tu'ver side of them 'ills. We have Yorkshire beers over here, and I've got to say the choice of Lancashire ales has increased considerably over the last 10 years. If ever you make it into Manchester you should walk out the city centre to the Marble Arch pub, home to Marble Brewery. It's a nice historic pub. :thumbsup:

Well as us lazy Lancastrian's never got a cutlery industry started you certainly couldn't post a picture of a Lancashire knife. :D

Oh that's hilarious! :D I've got to send that to my Yorkshire mates.:thumbsup:

That's a great looking lambsfoot Ed; never tire of seeing that. :thumbsup:

Well a Happy Thanksgiving Day to all our American friends. :thumbsup: I hope you all completely overdo it! :D:thumbsup:

I have just had another Eccles cake with a cuppa David! :D :thumbsup:

I have camped at Seathwaite/Seatoller a few times, and been wetter than any other time in my life, bar swimming or taking a bath, the rain clouds seem to hang over the valley permanently. The last time I was there, it rained heavily for 8 days and nights, with 3 severe weather warnings. I asked the woman who had organised the trip, why on earth she had picked the wettest inhabited spot in the UK for us to camp, and she said, "I thought those were just statistics." o_O Yes, statistics based on annual rainfall!!! :mad: The farmer told me that before they re-routed the river slightly, his house was once flooded for 2 years, with the water flowing in the front door and going out the back, and him and the missus still living upstairs! :eek:

I have spent many happy hours in the Marble Arch David, though it's been about 10 years since I was last there I think. I used to be a great fan of the Marbles Ginger, but I don't think it has been the same since they stopped using fresh ginger, which I think was about the time they expanded to the new brewery :thumbsup:

Last time I got some for breakfast that 's exactly what I thought I'd do with it :D Is it really made with synthetic tyres leftovers from WWII?

The best black pudding I have had was French, I used to buy it regularly when I lived in France, and fry it in bacon fat with diced apples :) I bought some yesterday, but the Eccles cakes really filled me up! :D

Good Morning Guardians
Happy Thanksgiving. I'm switching to my Rosewood for turkey duty...

Nice choice John :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians !
All the recent talk among guardians about winter , ice and "s*&#" :) got me thinking ... I dawned on me that there was a time I loved winter actually :D.
I dusted off my hard drive of memories and found proof that seems confirm this :eek:
(the wipe out on the ice did not hurt either :D )

Knife content:
Since the "s*&#" has given us a temporary reprieve for now, I decided to post a pic of and " Iced Lambsfoot" :D

JBn9nGy.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to our US Guardians :)

Fantastic Dan, what great memories :) Cool pic there ;) Very imaginative :thumbsup:

Happy Thanksgiving Guardians, I hope all our US members are having a wonderful time :) I am just back from a 7 hour stint with my pal in the market, talking tools and old British bikes, and eating fruitcake and fat chips! :D

KipkaBV.jpg

To Linus and Lancashire...Cheers!

Cheers!

Greg, what a great first post with Linus. He made the trip across the US in record time. Kudos to the fine men and women of the USPS! Really looking forward to seeing more of the adventures. Hope you have a great holiday.

Thanks, Ron! It's easy for me to get frustrated when there are occasional issues with the mail, but I am routinely in awe of what the USPS accomplishes. To think that, for 55 cents, I can drop a letter in a box and it will find its way to someone on the other side of the country in only a few day's time is mind blowing. Even more amazing is that this has been possible, and reliable, for so long.

A great start... Let the fun begin. :):thumbsup:

Looking forward to Linus' new chapter Greg.:):thumbsup:

That's cool Linus arrived in time for Thanksgiving Greg, fantastic post :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, guys!

Good morning Guardians. As I said yesterday, I'll be carrying this Harrison Bros & Howson today.

dBTk0yt.jpg

So lovely. :thumbsup:

I'll echo the Thanksgiving wishes.

Today Linus and my First-run Guardian's Edition both have on their finest duds and will be with me as I help prepare our Thanksgiving meal. I wouldn't be surprised if they are called upon for help at points along the way. :D

oK6LgQah.jpg

The farmer told me that before they re-routed the river slightly, his house was once flooded for 2 years, with the water flowing in the front door and going out the back, and him and the missus still living upstairs!
Great story.
They were obviously made of hardier stock than most. :cool::thumbsup:

Happy Thanksgiving Guardians, I hope all our US members are having a wonderful time :) I am just back from a 7 hour stint with my pal in the market, talking tools and old British bikes, and eating fruitcake and fat chips! :D
Sounds like a wonderful morning. :cool::thumbsup:

Today Linus and my First-run Guardian's Edition both have on their finest duds and will be with me as I help prepare our Thanksgiving meal. I wouldn't be surprised if they are called upon for help at points along the way. :D

oK6LgQah.jpg

Great to see those two well-dressed fellers hanging out together, and with you for Thanksgiving Greg :) :thumbsup:

Great story.
They were obviously made of hardier stock than most. :cool::thumbsup:

Sounds like a wonderful morning. :cool::thumbsup:

The worst flooding was back in the 1960's, but the farm is definitely in a bleak, but beautiful spot :)

0N3NLmx.jpg

It was fun John :) :thumbsup:

Back