Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

What did you think of Cervantes, Vince?
I only just started it--maybe 50 pages into 900+ pages. I like it so far, but will need to finish it before any reviews.

My local Barnes & Noble bookstore had three translations in stock, two modern and one 18th-century. I bought the old one, of course, and then noticed that it was revised in 2004. I promptly returned it. I had no way of knowing what was revised, but I know it didn't need revising. I can read the English of 1755, even though it was written by a Scot! The only reasons someone would revise the translation are (1) a political agenda (removing "sexist" or "racist" language, e.g.), or (2) "dumbing down" the language for us ignoramuses. Either way, I'm having none of it. Ordered the same but unrevised translation online and received it the next day.

--Still a Curmudgeon :grumpy:

To all please accept my wishes for a happy new year.

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg
You too mate.

LOL Dan.:D Yip that sentence isn't grammatically correct and my keyboard won't let me type the correct diacritics for various individual letters. It's middle English (roughly 1100-1500) and basically says:

I do (fremmen) wish (birechen) you a New Year of much (muchel) merry/merriment (miri) and have yourself joy (blithe).

There are online dictionaries for both early and middle English but you'll find a lot of discrepancies between the different ones. :confused:

fMBbjS8.png

Take care mine own cousin :D

I "upgraded" to Windows 10 today. Everything looks different. :confused::mad:

I only just started it--maybe 50 pages into 900+ pages. I like it so far, but will need to finish it before any reviews.

My local Barnes & Noble bookstore had three translations in stock, two modern and one 18th-century. I bought the old one, of course, and then noticed that it was revised in 2004. I promptly returned it. I had no way of knowing what was revised, but I know it didn't need revising. I can read the English of 1755, even though it was written by a Scot! The only reasons someone would revise the translation are (1) a political agenda (removing "sexist" or "racist" language, e.g.), or (2) "dumbing down" the language for us ignoramuses. Either way, I'm having none of it. Ordered the same but unrevised translation online and received it the next day.

--Still a Curmudgeon :grumpy:
Years back, when everyone was reading the Harry Potter books, I borrowed a few from a friend. I realized after a bit that I was reading an American translation of the original English. o_O They changed "football" to "soccer" and other things like that. I strongly disapprove. I grew up reading the Winnie The Pooh books, and I remember figuring out that when Christopher Robin got new braces, he meant suspenders, not the teeth straightening things. The point is, I did figure it out. It's like the publishers have no confidence in kids' intelligence. :rolleyes:

Jack Black Jack Black Order has been restored mate, just heard from Chin, he has been very busy, but said he will catch up on the porch next week.:thumbsup:
Good to hear, I hope all is well.

Last edited:
Finally resolved image hosting images.:mad::)

Jack Black Jack Black - Happy New Years, Jack. Thank you for the Linus comment. I sent him forward. Already missing him. No doubt that your beautiful Sambar HHB was your most carried. Don’t forget the fish and chips at the stall.:) Ahh. I see you had some great looking chips.

CelloDan CelloDan - Thank you kindly, Dan. Linus and I had many fine walks to balance the various goodies. Great 1/1/20 Winter images.

@WhittlinAway - Without a doubt, I carried Linus the whole time he was with me. Excluding Linus, any of the Sheffield SFOs.

@Modoc ED @mitch4ging - May many good things come to both of you in 2020.

Good Evening Guardians.

My absolute favorite Robbin Hood.

I have passed Linus to the next fortunate Guardian. He’s a splendid companion.

I’ve had posting issues, but I assure you he had a great visit.

From previous walks. Ari’s always with me.
He watches my 6 like nobody’s business.
FFEE2DB4-C64A-4DB6-A258-460989886BEE_zpsfeglzk3e.jpeg

58AA4679-8B92-4007-B354-7D5BEC45C29E_zpspwrcuenz.jpeg

B054BED1-7BB0-438E-BBB4-9C16AF99FF04_zpst6qxi68s.jpeg

D2968A40-399A-4750-81A0-5AE49AD2EB24_zpsam2o17z0.jpeg

E334EC6A-0AC0-45E0-A263-6567147F0B6F_zps4azusn5y.jpeg

23E91EFE-4203-40BB-B269-FFC5A8B1FD72_zpsrd8o55lc.jpeg

Before he left, we had a fine pizza party.
AEE9A209-41EC-42C4-913B-9DAD831633BB_zpsyqkjhejp.jpeg

This one was shot in direct Sun. Every beauty mark shows. I cleaned him up and oiled his joints before his departure.
FCE5F532-4613-41C4-8176-B04C28F4905B_zpsahwgiyt8.jpeg

Farewell Linus.

Years back, when everyone was reading the Harry Potter books, I borrowed a few from a friend. I realized after a bit that I was reading an American translation of the original English. o_O They changed "football" to "soccer" and other things like that. I strongly disapprove. I grew up reading the Winnie The Pooh books, and I remember figuring out that when Christopher Robin got new braces, he meant suspenders, not the teeth straightening things. The point is, I did figure it out. It's like the publishers have no confidence in kids' intelligence. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I can read "contemporary" British English, too, even though they talk funny! :D
I was teasing my daughter yesterday, asking her if I needed to help her with the vocabulary in The Fellowship of the Ring, and she reminded me that she got a perfect score in reading comprehension on the PSAT!
Neither she nor I like being "talked down to." :)

Lambsfoot content:
Mv7nmEk.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black - Happy New Years, Jack. Thank you for the Linus comment. I sent him forward. Already missing him. No doubt that your beautiful Sambar HHB was your most carried. Don’t forget the fish and chips at the stall.:) Ahh. I see you had some great looking chips.

CelloDan CelloDan - Thank you kindly, Dan. Linus and I had many fine walks to balance the various goodies. Great 1/1/20 Winter images.

@WhittlinAway - Without a doubt, I carried Linus the whole time he was with me. Excluding Linus, any of the Sheffield SFOs.

Good Evening Guardians.

This one was shot in direct Sun. Every beauty mark shows. I cleaned him up and oiled his joints before his departure.

Farewell Linus.
Lovely pics, Harvey! :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black G,day mate, hope your New Year went well. Re your post the other day, sent Chin a text message and have not heard back, so do not know how he is or what is happening in his world. Will keep trying to find out and will let you know. Cheers.

Jack Black Jack Black Order has been restored mate, just heard from Chin, he has been very busy, but said he will catch up on the porch next week.:thumbsup:

Many thanks for your efforts my friend, that's great news :) Glad to hear the lad is OK :) :thumbsup:

Nice to hear he's doing okay.
Wish we could hear from Dave and Dwight too.

Dwight is doing well, just spending some time with family, I heard from him shortly before Xmas :) Dave, I am more concerned about, I do hope him and Linda are OK. WE have quite a few other absentees too that I had hoped we might hear from over the holidays :( :thumbsup:

Happy New Year, folks!

oqGyG16.jpg

Happy New Year Dylan, superb shot :cool: :thumbsup:

That looks chilly Dan, stunning pic :) :thumbsup:

I "upgraded" to Windows 10 today. Everything looks different. :confused::mad:

Good to hear, I hope all is well.

Oh no! :eek: Well, at least they've ironed out some of the lumps since they first introduced that darned virus :mad: I'm amazed Windows haven't been shut down with law suits :mad:

I hate that kind of thing! How are kids supposed to learn, and expand their vocabularies and knowledge of international linguistics? I won't watch dubbed films either :grumpy: Thankfully they don't dub American-made films for release over here! :D :thumbsup:

1IXTs8b.jpg

Good Evening Guardians.

Farewell Linus.

That's great news Harvey, your wonderful photos have been sorely missed :) Thank you for the Tour de Force (and for the kind words), it looks like Linus had a fantastic time with you and Ari :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, I can read "contemporary" British English, too, even though they talk funny! :D
I was teasing my daughter yesterday, asking her if I needed to help her with the vocabulary in The Fellowship of the Ring, and she reminded me that she got a perfect score in reading comprehension on the PSAT!
Neither she nor I like being "talked down to." :)

Lambsfoot content:
Mv7nmEk.jpg

Wait until you come to Yorkshire Vince! :D :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is hale and hearty :) I've stopped resisting...

lehultP.jpg

Have a great day Guardians :) Hey, it's Friday again! :D :thumbsup:

Hello--
I was gifted a lambsfoot for Christmas. It's of the Joseph Rodgers variety and I must say I got lucky with the fit and finish. I would say the knife is comparable to the Case knives I own. My question is about the blade steel. I am familiar with 420HC, and find it more than suitable for my needs. But the only information I can find on the steel used for this lambsfoot calls it 420 S454. I searched Google high and low, but can find no information about this particular steel. Am I to assume it is regular 420, as opposed to 420 HC? I would be disappointed if this were true.
Any insight is appreciated.

Back